Day 43 - St Johns to Alma - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2024

Day 43 - St Johns to Alma

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a last-minute change last night.  We had planned to go to Corunna today and visit Shiawassee County Courthouse, but we could not find a place to stay - all the hotels were booked due to a baseball tournament.  We finally decided to bypass Corunna and skip ahead to Alma. We're attending a wedding in Carson City, MI on the 30th and already had our route mapped out to arrive there on time, but now we need to make some changes.  I'm hoping to work in another courthouse, but we may just take an extra day off - we'll see how things go.  I'm happy to say that Jeanna, the consummate planner, is taking this in stride.  Enough about the schedule...

Today was another good day - great weather, another tailwind and lots of lonely roads.  I did have 3 different sections of dirt roads, but I'm getting used to them.  All told I had about 6 miles of dirt and don't think I saw a single car, which was nice. 

For the second night in a row, we're staying in a motel that we stayed in on last year's trip. I didn't take the exact same route as last year, but much of it was familiar and brought back some flashbacks.  (The good news is I didn't experience and phantom conversations with Jeanna today)

1st one of the day - Smooth, flat, and scenic - not bad!!
Heart 2 Comment 0
When I spotted this dairy farm, I thought it was a big operation. Based on what I saw later, it wasn't.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across from the above dairy operation was a large grain operation
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today was full of great country roads...
Heart 2 Comment 0
and great views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a LARGE dairy operation.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loading station at the end of the building above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A whole lot of tires!! Notice the front-end loader in the background at the front of the tanker.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It's working in a large silage pit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gratiot County Courthouse in Ithaca.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time-capsule on the courthouse square
Heart 0 Comment 0
Verterans Memorial
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flowers lined the block in front of the courthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And really close.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The road from Ithaca to Alma - great shoulder!!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerRoads to dream about….you keep finding them too….
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerI guess if all our routes were like this, we wouldn't appreciate these roads as much when we found them.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 975 miles (1,569 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0