Day 40 - In Marshall - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2024

Day 40 - In Marshall

A first for us on this trip: A county seat with no county courthouse.  Marshall is the county seat of Calhoun County, but the county courthouse is located in Battle Creek about 12 miles west of Marshall.  Even then it's not called a courthouse, rather it's the "Calhoun County Justice and Correctional Center" as the courthouse and county jail are on one site.

There used to be a courthouse in Marshall, but it was torn down and replaced by a combination administration / court building in the mid 70's.  By the mid 90's they did not have enough space, so the county built a new jail and justice center in Battle Creek which opened in 1994. 

We had had plans to visit a couple of museums in Marshall today, but both places had changed their schedules but hadn't updated their websites.  When we went there, they were closed.  All was not lost as we had a very pleasant walk around downtown. 

After our walk, we stopped a supermarket to get food for dinner, and then it was back to the room to do laundry, route planning, and other chores.

 Tomorow, we're headed to Charlotte - MI not NC.

Marshall Post Office
Heart 4 Comment 0
Young good-looking woman - old building :-)
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pretty fountain, but tricky to get to - it's in the center of a busy traffic circle.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Downtown Marshall is a pretty and appears to be vibrant.  There were lots of people out and about. 

A sampling of the historical markers and murals in the downtown area...

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0