Day 33 - Bluffton, IN to Van Wert, OH - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2024

Day 33 - Bluffton, IN to Van Wert, OH

Heart 0 Comment 0

Two states, two county seats and three courthouses - that about sums up the day.  I didn't have far to ride today, but I was underway shortly after 9AM because of predicted afternoon thunderstorms.  I had good low volume roads for most of the way and a quartering tailwind which helped push me along past miles of farmland.  Other than farms fields, there really wasn't much that caught my eye, so there aren't many photos. Surprisingly, I didn't even pass any old barns that I could photograph.

Rickety tracks in Craigville
Heart 1 Comment 0
Large farms, empty roads, and gathering storm clouds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A very small cemetery along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Appropriately named "Shady Cemetery"
Heart 0 Comment 0

My first stop was in Decatur, IN, where I met up with Jeanna.  Decatur is the county seat of Adams County, and has the distinction of having two active courthouses - one courthouse for the Circuit Court and another for the Superior Court.

Adams County Courthouse.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The courthouse had a nice Memorial Plaza.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And here is the Circuit Court courtroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While in the Circuit Court, we learned that the Superior Court is actually the lower of the 2 Courts and handles misdemeanors and the lowest level felonies while the Circuit Court handles all the higher-level felonies. 

The Superior Courthouse was across the street and is superior in name only.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Superior Court courtroom
Heart 1 Comment 0
My first barn ad of the trip.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerDid you get a CHEW?
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

We're spending the night in Van Wert, OH.

Van Wert County Courthouse in Van Wert.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This iron stairway leads to the main floor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful ceilings
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Records Room - not everything is computerized!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Downtown Van Wert
Heart 2 Comment 0

We've been saying we were ready for some good Chinese food.  Jeanna found a place downtown with good reviews.  After lunch there, we're still ready for good Chinese food.  

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 697 miles (1,122 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0