Day 31 - Greenville, OH to Portland, IN - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2024

Day 31 - Greenville, OH to Portland, IN

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a great ride today - the best of the trip so far.  The weather was perfect, there was a slight tailwind for most of the day, and, for the most part, I had the roads to myself.

Great name for a road in farm country
Heart 2 Comment 0
Most of the farms I passed today looked prosperous
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cherry Stone chicken Facility. I passed a few establishments like this today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Amish buggy and bridge make a bucolic scene.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a target rich environment for old barns today.

Old barn AND old car
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mother Nature doing her thing
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was another 2-courthouse (and 2-state) day today.  About halfway through the ride, we visited the Randolph County Courthouse in Winchester. It was a very pretty courthouse, located on a true courthouse square which made it even better.

Randolph County Courthouse, with its prominent monument.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThe Randolph County Courthouse has a UNIQUE rooftop!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Side entrance to the courthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a view from the rear. You can't read it, but there is a mosaic commemorating the county's 200th anniversary at the rear of the plaza.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A closer view of the monument
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marble sitting area at the main entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spiral staircase leading to the 2nd floor. Surprisingly, it did not continue to the 3rd floor. The staircase leading to the 3rd floor (and the courtroom) was tucked into the corner and was very pedestrian.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hallway leading to the courtroom
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unfortunately, the doors to the courtroom were locked.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Businesses on the square
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Theater in the square
Heart 1 Comment 0

When I wasn't in (or near) a town, I spent the day on roads like these.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
You know it's a low volume road when there is no center line - I love it!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cute building in Ridgeville. The inscription carved into the stone above the door says "City Building"
Heart 1 Comment 0
I think this is a large ethanol plant based on the number of grain and tanker cars on the site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Going and gone!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The 2nd courthouse for the day was the Jay County Courthouse located in Portland.  This courthouse had security, but the deputies were very welcoming, and pointed out things I should see in the building.

Jay County Courthouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The dome lit up the building
Heart 2 Comment 0
Staircase to the 2nd floor.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of the 3rd floor
Heart 2 Comment 0
This courtroom was unlocked.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Next to the courtroom was a well-furnished Law Library. The old candelabras were a nice touch.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The main drag of Portland near the courthouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Tomorrow is a short ride to Bluffton, IN.  I hope it is as enjoyable as today's.

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 624 miles (1,004 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonGreat that they let you go inside and walk around. That would never have occurred to me.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
marilyn swettI don't know if you have time but there is a great bicycle museum in New Bremen, Ohio. It's worth a visit if you've never seen it.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo marilyn swettThanks, Marilyn. Yes, we have been there before and it is an awesome place.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonWe have been to three county courthouses in the last couple of days that we open to the general public to just walk in. We found it encouraging that there are some such places left.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago