Day 28 - Brookville to Richmond - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2024

Day 28 - Brookville to Richmond

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was (for me) a somewhat strenuous ride today - 49 miles and over 2,000 feet of climbing.  There was also a brisk headwind between Liberty and Eaton for added pleasure.

 I didn't get any photos between Brookville and Liberty because I was on a moderately busy road that had no shoulder, but many semi's.  It was also the section that had the most hills, and I was either grinding out a climb or hanging and watching for those trucks on the downhills. 

Our first stop was in Liberty where we toured the Union County courthouse.  

Union County Courthouse in Liberty, IN.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Detail of the main entrance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rear of the courthouse. I keep running into this lady in pink :-)
Heart 2 Comment 0
The courtroom
Heart 2 Comment 0
The courtroom also serves as the law library
Heart 0 Comment 0
Original clockworks from the clock tower.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Photos of the courthouse square...

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Liberty, Indiana
Heart 2 Comment 0

After visiting Liberty, I headed east to Eaton, OH to see our second courthouse for the day.  Once I left Liberty, I was on farm roads for most of the way to Eaton.  At this point the terrain flattened out and the riding would have been perfect, except for the headwind.

I love quiet country roads.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Raking and baling at the same time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Headed back to Ohio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Indiana soybeans on the left, and Ohio corn on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Prettiest farmstead of the ride today...

The house
Heart 3 Comment 0
and the barn. I wonder how many local pilots use this as a reference point.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great tree art. This was at the entrance to the Jeff Dare farm. As I was taking the photo, a tractor was pulling out of the driveway. I flagged it down and talked a young man who said his dad and granddad owned the farm. He told me that this had been a large pine tree that was killed by lightning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Dare's working their farm. The grandson I met is hauling bales of hay at the very back of this photo
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old barn of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Preble County Courthouse in Eaton, OH.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking up to the 3rd floor. The interior of the courthouse is the prettiest we've seen so far. An information panel said it was pink marble from Pennsylvania.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerCool lighting!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
The courtroom. Notice the elaborate ceiling molding.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After leaving Eaton, that headwind turned into a strong tailwind, which made for a very enjoyable 12-mile ride our motel in Richmond.  

We're taking a day off tomorrow to view the sights in Richmond and visit a couple of museums.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 535 miles (861 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Kelly IniguezCourthouses are turning out to be an excellent theme! The buildings have interesting details.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe really like it when we can go in and take pictures inside.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Curt & Helene ReedBeautiful courthouses
Reply to this comment
3 months ago