Day 26 - Vevay to Lawrenceburg - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2024

Day 26 - Vevay to Lawrenceburg

Heart 1 Comment 0

The road closure I mentioned turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.  There were warning signs at every intersection along the entire way from Vevay to just outside Rising Sun a distance of about 19 miles.   When I did reach the closure, the road was only closed for a distance of 50 yards or so, the road was totally intact with no sign of any construction activity, and the barricades were spaced so that you could drive right through.  In fact, as soon as I cleared the "closure", 2 cars did exactly that. 

A benefit of the closure was that I did have the road almost to myself and encountered very little traffic. 

Mother Nature taking over.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Markland Dam and Locks. The tall building on the left in the background is a casino hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
East Bend Station with coal barges being unloaded.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jeanna here...We found another museum open today in the little town of Rising Sun, Indiana.  Rising sun is the county seat of Ohio County, the smallest county in Indiana.  We don't have a picture of its stop light because it doesn't have one.  There is a red flashing light in the heart of town.

The Ohio County Historical Society Museum is housed in a former plow factory, built in 1849.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
The beams are original to the building. It is now used as an event space.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Clore plows
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the Clore factory relocated, the building was purchased by JW "Row" Whitlock.  It housed his chair factory and also space for the manufacture of his Automatic Harps.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Whitlock chairs
Heart 1 Comment 0

Row Whitlock was determined to build the fastest speedboat possible.  The boat below, the Hoosier Boy, still holds the record for the fastest round trip on the Ohio River between Louisville and Cincinnati.  Row made the 267 mile trip at an average speed of 60mph.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThat is really cool! Can you imagine it cruising through the water.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithOur tour guide told us the engine he used was a 12 cylinder Liberty aircraft engine. 60 mph on the water is faster than I would call "cruising"!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Also in the museum:

Jail cell "cages" built in 1870 and used until 1982!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first road grader in Ohio County
Heart 1 Comment 0
Museum director, Andrew, and a member of the staff.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Kerry here...

After visiting the museum, Jeanna & I walked up a hill to the Ohio County Courthouse.  Like the courthouse in Port Clinton, OH, this courthouse is located in a residential area as opposed to the business district.  We suspect it was located there to be above the flood plain.  

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
When I reached Aurora, I took the Aurora - Lawrenceburg trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Dearborn County Courthouse in Lawrenceburg. This is the original portion of the current building.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The main entrance is now in the new addition which was completed in 2018. Security was very strict - my heartrate monitor set off an alarm, so I got pulled aside and got "wanded"
Heart 4 Comment 0
Staircase in the old section.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The steel doors caught my attention, so I stepped in the room and asked about them. It turns out they used to store gold in there.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 458 miles (737 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0