Day 22 - In Jeffersonville - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2024

Day 22 - In Jeffersonville

Kerry spent the morning getting his Phoenix ready to ride tomorrow.  He didn't expect to ride it this summer, so he had a number of things he wanted to do.

Rotating tires
Heart 3 Comment 0

After he finished, we walked downtown to find the courthouse and see the sights.

One locally famous place is Schimpff's Confectionary.  They have been making candy in this location since 1891.  We had a few pieces, but honestly, it was nothing special.

Heart 1 Comment 4
Curt & Helene ReedIt looks special to me who loves chocolate!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Rose SamsonYummy! Lots of choices. I love chocolate specially the ones with
Caramel Clusters!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedFor $28.00 per pound, we expected fabulous, memorable candy. Hershey's miniatures are as good, if not better.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonChoclate and caramel is one of Kerry's favorites, too.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Hand dipping some candies
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the cady shop, we walked down to the riverfront.  The big event this weekend is Abbey Road on the River, which is the world's largest Beatles inspired music festival.  There were a whole lot of people around our age - not your typical music festival crowd!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis is a nice place to hang out on weekends; meet people, see the river view, and buy whatever is cheap to take home. Just enjoy the day!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

There is an old railroad trestle across the Ohio River here that has been restored as a pedestrian and bicycle bridge.  It's about a mile across to Louisville.  

Looking northeast up the river
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the traffic bridge from Louisville. We expect a toll by mail bill from the bridge authority. If you didn't have their EZ Pass, that was the only option.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were many cyclists enjoying the bridge, including these four.  The woman in the gray asked if I would take a picture of them.  Thet led to a discussion about bike touring, of course.

Two brothers and their wives out for a ride.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThese four cyclists are happy and with their smiles tell us they enjoy
each other's company. Keep going guys!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

We went looking for the courthouse after the bridge walk.  We thought it was here, by the status of Thomas Jefferson, for who the town is named.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Thomas Jefferson designed the town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is not the courthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the 1970 courthouse. We could not locate the old courthouse. Perhaps it was demolished.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our last stop of the day was the Vintage Fire Museum.  We had an excellent and very interesting tour.

A pumper wagon from the mid 1800's.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on the road to more courthouses in the morning!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0