Day 13 - Defiance to Napolean - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2024

Day 13 - Defiance to Napolean

Heart 0 Comment 0

We went out this morning and walked around downtown Defiance some more.  Kerry managed to land right at the front door of the bakery he's visited every morning we've been here.  We got into a short conversation with the owner and learned that the bakery has been open in that same spot since 1947 and now the fourth generation of the family is running it.

We also stopped by a small Defiance history museum that was closed yesterday.  The exhibits were well done and informative, but they didn't allow photography, so no pictures.  

After just hanging around the apartment until 2PM, we decided it was time to make our short ride to Napolean.  We actually paid for the apartment tonight, but a likelihood of rain in the morning helped us decide to just move on.  We really are wimps this year!

We rode north along the west side of the Maumee River, following it all the way to Napolean.

This is a Defiance city park on the river
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rose SamsonNice, beautiful park; a good place to relax & drink ice cold Soda!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Rose SamsonNice, beautiful park; a good place to relax & drink ice cold Soda!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
A view of the river through the trees
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles north, we came to the Independence Dam State Park.  The dam was built to supply water for the Wabash-Erie and Miami-Erie canals which were built along the Maumee River.  (We learned at the museum this morning that Maumee is another spelling for Miami)

The Independence Dam
Heart 2 Comment 0
Copper was just chilling in the shade while her dad fished. She enjoyed some attention from Kerry.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Lots of little letters on these signs, but this is near the spot where the two canals joined.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lock 13
Heart 1 Comment 0
Campground at the park
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like these old CCC structures.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What would you call an outdoor portable toilet? There are lots of terms people use, but I just learned a new one from a friend (Hi, Stan!) He calls them "Tupperware toilets". I think that's a great name.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Rich FrasierThere was a company in Oregon that supplied toilets for events. It was called “Willie Makeit” for some reason. That’s what I call them.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich FrasierThat's a good one. It made us both laugh out loud.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Karen PoretHere in the Netherlands, the company is “Dixi”..as in (“Dixie cup”, to me, at least) If they only knew !
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

Past the park, we rode on a nicely paved and very low traffic road up to Napolean. 

We saw several big patches of these pretty wildflowers (I know it's not a good enough picture to identify them.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
And I finally saw some cows!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old barn
Heart 0 Comment 0

In keeping with our plan to just noodle around these rural areas, we retrace some of the same roads on different routes.  We were here just a few days ago.

And we're back in Florida!.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretIt’s a corporation alright! ;)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Downtown Napolean, Ohio
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Catholic church
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonA beautiful church, I hope it has a "chime bell" every hour!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The Henry County Courthouse
Heart 5 Comment 0
If the first courthouse lasted 3 years and the second one 30 years, is this one going to last for 300? It's almost halfway there!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Side of courthouse
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretThe embellishments at top are stunning!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

Kerry went inside and took a few pictures

Heart 4 Comment 0
Built in filing drawers and cabinets. Wouldn't it be fun to see what you could find in there?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kerry thinks these floor tiles are original from 1882. I think he is completely wrong. We're going to find out.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 294 miles (473 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0