Day 12 - Defiance - Sherwood Loop - Two Far 2024 - Courthouse Tour - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2024

Day 12 - Defiance - Sherwood Loop

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were feeling much better this morning and ready to get out and walk a bit.  Our apartment is right across the street from the Defiance County Courthouse.  It took me awhile to get a picture without cars in front of it, but I finally got a few.  Unlike most of the courthouses so far, this one has no courthouse square or public park adjacent to it.

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Veteran's Memorial in front of courthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

We strolled around downtown for a little while.

I didn't get the connection of this mural to Defiance, but it's always nice to see Mr. Spock and Lt. Uhuru out and about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw these stained glass pieces in a back alley. There was nothing else around but the rear of other buildings.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We walked around to the front of the building and found out why they might have stained glass art on the alley side.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The AuGlaize River joins the Maumee in Defiance.

Heart 0 Comment 0

In the early afternoon, we decided we were ready to take a short loop ride.  Kerry mapped us out a 25 mile loop west to the town of Sherwood and back.  It was a good ride.  We had some headwind, some rollers, some bad pavement, but unlike some of the earlier Courthouse Tour rides, this one was enjoyable.  We're getting back into touring mode and making concessions to being true senior cyclists now.  I think fewer daily miles and longer rest stops are going to be the way to go for this tour.  I also have to get back in the habit of taking pictures as we ride!

This house actually appeared to be occupied!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dreaded "Road Closed", except, as is so often the case, the road is closed to cars and trucks and buses and motorcycles, but not to cyclists who ask nicely.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There was some bridge work which was easy to pedal through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I didn't get a front view of the sign. This is an Ohio Century Farm - operated by the same family for at least 100 years.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We pedaled on back to Defiance through woods, fields and rolling hills.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old silo now standing out all alone
Heart 2 Comment 0
A man-made (human-made?) pond. We have seen a lot of these in the Midwest on our recent tours.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we're going to visit a Defiance museum that was closed today, then make the short ride to Napolean in the afternoon.

Today's ride: 25 miles (40 km)
Total: 273 miles (439 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0