Day 122 - Coeur d'Alene to Kellogg - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2023

Day 122 - Coeur d'Alene to Kellogg

Heart 0 Comment 0

This was a very challenging ride.  We climbed 900 feet in under four miles.  It wasn't really steep since we were riding on I-90, but 5-6% average grade for four miles was hard work!  It was definitely not the most fun we've ever had on a bike.

We took I-90 from Coeur d'Alene to Cataldo, 26 miles southeast, and then got on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes for 12 miles into Kellogg.  

The sun was very bright headed east at 7:00AM.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This part of I-90 follows the shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A barge and crane on the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0

That marks the end of any photography for the first twenty miles.  I didn't have any extra energy for messing with the camera.  Once we had finally made it to the summit, there were four miles of 5-6% downhill grades which required careful and judicious use of our brakes and focused attention on the road and traffic. 

When we reached mile 20, we exited to the Rose Lake General Store.  There we met Jimbo, the manager and Brenda, the cashier.  They made us welcome, gave us a place sit and had cold drinks and snacks to help us recover.   We enjoyed our visit with them and left ready to do those last 18 miles.

Jimbo and Brenda - thanks for making us welcome.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Six miles past Rose Lake, we reached Cataldo and the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes.  We'll have three more days on this world class trail.

Our first ride on the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This part of the trail runs along the Coeur d'Alene River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are a number of these "waysides" along the trail with information about the area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The views are amazing!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode over a few bridges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another awesome view, but this one is man-made. A haul-road switch-backed its way clear to the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to Kellogg a little after 1:00.  It was about 95 degrees by then.  We stopped at a market for a couple of 2L Diet Cokes and rode to the hotel.  They had our ground floor room ready for so we could check in right away.  We got our stuff in, poured some Coke, cranked up the AC and congratulated ourselves on completing today's ride!

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 5,395 miles (8,682 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0