Day 103 - Eureka to Libby - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2023

Day 103 - Eureka to Libby

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a good day, but a long and hilly and I'm tired kind of day, so I'm going to let the photos tell the story.

MT37 was hilly and curvy but had a good shoulder.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My first view of Lake Koocanusa. Libby Dam blocks the Kootenai River forming the 90-mile lake which extends into Canada. The lakes name is a portmanteau of Kootenai, Canada and USA.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Koocanusa Bridge as seen from afar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A whole lot of rock was removed to build the road on the opposite shore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking north (upstream) from the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of the lake looking south.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bridge site had a nice parking lot and info kiosk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Compare my photos of the bridge to this photo to get an idea of how deep the lake is at this point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mid-morning snack at Rocky Gorge Campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Several of the mountains along MT-37 seem to be composed of very soft rock. You can see where water is eroding away the face of the cut. There were several areas where large rockslides had occurred.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even though there were several cuts made to build the road, the road was very hilly. My Garmin registered 11 climbs, totaling over 12 miles, on the portion of MT-37 that paralleled the lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the lake. It was a very pretty ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hill was composed of gravel instead of solid rock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Libby Dam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The downstream side of the dam. The dam contains five turbines that generate 600 megawatts of electricity and services eight states.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The "Dirty Shame" slide, mentioned above. You can see the anchoring system near the top of the rock face.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On MT-37, looking upstream at the Kootenai River, about 5 miles below the dam. The water was crystal clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rafting on the river just downstream of Osprey Landing Boat Ramp.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking Downstream from Osprey Landing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And upstream from the landing. It was another beautiful day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
History of travel on the Kootenai.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 4,874 miles (7,844 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0