Day 096 - Havre to Chester - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2023

Day 096 - Havre to Chester

Heart 0 Comment 0

Another great cycling day.  Clear, warm, a slight tailwind, and light traffic.  I could really get used to this. The elevation chart shows that day was mostly uphill, but with the exception of a hill just outside Havre, the grades were so gentle that I barely noticed that I was gaining elevation and it was an easy ride.

Climbing out of Havre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This pile of brush reminded me of a beaver lodge. (For one helluva big beaver)
Heart 0 Comment 0
My first Pronghorn sighting of the trip.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The fields seemed to go on forever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I almost missed this and had to turn around to get a better look.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Besides the barbed wire, horseshoes, pipe, cinch rings and marbles were used to create this sculpture.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonThe person who made this sculpture had a lot of patience!
It is a work of art!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking back towards Havre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This field of flax was just beginning to bloom. My close-up of the blossoms didn't turn out. My guess is that in another week, this field will be a sea of blue.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of several trains I saw today. The tracks were within sight most of the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Although this region is known for dry-farming, I saw several of these small wet meadows today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Movie theater in Rudyard.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezThe only Cowboys movie I know of is the old one with John Wayne. I wonder if they are playing DVD's?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I visited 2 museums today.  The first was the Rudyard Depot Museum.  It was a nicely done museum staffed by volunteers.  The museum is housed in several different buildings, each with its own focus.  One building houses historical records of the town.  If also has a very large map of the county, showing all of the original homestead plots.

A map of Hill County showing all the homestead plots. In general, each small square on the map represents a 160-acre homestead plot. With Hill County being over 2,900 sq. miles, that's a lot of little squares.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The second building I visited was the museum's "new" Dinosaur Building.  After a fully articulated Gryposaurus was found near Rudyard, the museum decided it need to construct a building to house it.  The building opened in 2006 and is now affiliated with the Museum of the Rockies.  

This it the Gryposaurus that was found near Rudyard. This particular dinosaur fossil was found intact and is presented as it was found. The museum volunteer said that most fossils are found scattered about, due to scavenging.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinosaur eggs found on Egg Mountain near Choteau.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Other buildings housed more traditional artifacts.  This was a local blacksmith shop.  The belt and pully system is the first one I have seen in a blacksmith shop.

A belt driven trip hammer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The motor to drive the system was outside the shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This large air-compressor was once used in the Burlington Northern maintenance shops in Havre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A collection of over 300 lanterns.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezI wouldn't want to dust those!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I found this tractor interesting. Various implements were hung between the wheels.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This wall lists various area residents. The numbers at the bottom of each stone is the parcel number of their land.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lori is a clerk at the Farmers Union store in Rudyard. I enjoyed meeting her and can verify that her personality matches her shirt!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elevator in Rudyard.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I met 2 fellow touring cyclists today. Eli and Jordan left from Oregon and are headed east. They didn't like the headwind today, but I pointed out that at least they were going downhill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Advertisement for the Rudyard Museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unlike most small towns, Inverness has 3 grain elevators, but none of them appear to be operational.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking west from Inverness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I guess you gotta know which track you're on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The 2nd museum of the day was the Liberty County Museum which is just a block away from our B&B in Chester.  Jeanna walked over to meet me, and we took a short tour.  It was not nearly as large as the Rudyard Museum and didn't take long to see. That was a good thing, because I was ready to call it a day.

One of the more interesting exhibits - a midget bull.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
My mom had a mangle iron similar to this.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 4,541 miles (7,308 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0