Day 090 - Culbertson to Wolf Point - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2023

Day 090 - Culbertson to Wolf Point

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a windy, smoky day.  Forest fires in Canada cast a haze in the sky all day long.  There was a health advisory posted for the area, but I didn't feel any ill effects, nor could I really smell the smoke, although I certainly could see it.  

I left before 8 today to get some miles in before the wind picked up.  The mornings ride wasn't bad, as the winds were in the 10-15 MHP range.  I certainly didn't break any speed records, though.  

After lunch it was a different story, as the winds kicked up to 20-25 MPH from the WNW.   As I was riding due west, it was difficult to hold a straight line at times and I certainly didn't attempt to take any photos while rolling.

I followed these tracks for a good part of the day. They must have been working on the tracks, because I did not see any trains until after 2PM. After that, it seemed like there was a steady stream of trains going in both directions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fort Kipp Old School
Heart 2 Comment 0
The school bell is now across the driveway from the school.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Red Eagle Memorial Presbyterian Church is next to the school.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even with the smoky haze, I could see these "badlands from quite a distance.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThat road surface looks rough! Amazing how the haze makes the horizon simple.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerActually, it wasn't. Even though it was chip-seal, they used very small river gravel instead of crushed limestone and it was pretty smooth. The road is BIA-1. So far, I have really enjoyed riding the reservation roads. They're in better shape than US-2 and there is almost no traffic - it makes for very relaxing riding.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The badlands didn't cover an extensive area, maybe a mile or so, but I stopped several times to get a good look at the interesting formations.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThese stone formations look beautiful and mysterious to me!
I wander if there is some water running beneath them so it keeps
growing. Amazing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 1
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the highlights of my day was meeting Kaylee and her mother Claudia at the B&S Quickstop in Brocton. They seemed very interested in our bicycle travels and I regaled (or, more likely, bored) them with the details.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I saw several old or dilapidated buildings along the route today.  Here is a sampling.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerVery cool image!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
The haze is very apparent in this photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Missouri River, just outside Poplar.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Due to the wind, I stopped for a break 3 times in the last 20 miles.  I just pulled off to the side of the road for the first two stops, but I went into Cattlemen's Cut for the last break.  There I met Brent, the owner of the bar/restaurant/casino.  I was the only customer at the time, so he sat at the bar with me, and we had a wide-ranging conversation about the local weather, owning the bar, his past jobs (pipeline construction), etc.

Brent bought Cattlemen's Cut seven years ago and is excited that he will pay it off next month.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In case you haven't noticed, having all these conversations with the locals is one of the things I really like about bike touring, as it usually gives you background and meaning to all the things you are seeing.  Without them, the trips certainly wouldn't be as memorable - because of them, life is so good!

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 4,259 miles (6,854 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ken GassWith the headwinds and smoke, I understand why you would seek out local color for breaks! Of course, you've connected with the locals on all your rides, with or without smoke or gale-force headwinds.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago