Day 089 - Williston, ND to Culbertson, MT - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2023

Day 089 - Williston, ND to Culbertson, MT

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was another day of stiff headwinds.  Daydreaming about driving to Washington and then pedaling back to Montana with a strong tailwind helped pass the time. 

I spent the entire day on US-2.  The traffic was heavy, with lots of oil well trucks, for the first 15 miles or so but once I cleared the Williston area, the traffic died down considerably.  I had a good shoulder to ride on, so the traffic was not a problem, except for the noise of the heavy trucks.

 The ride also got easier once I reached the ND-MT state line - the wind didn't abate but the hills did. 

Multi-tasking center.
Heart 1 Comment 1
These small sunflowers were the flower for the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A common sight leaving Williston.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was finally warm enough for a summer dress.
Heart 2 Comment 1
A sea of green surrounded by brown hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was another day filled with trains. This particular train was moving slowly, about 10 MPH, and we travelled side-by-side for over 5 miles until our paths diverged. The engineer would not play, however, as I could not get him to blow his horn.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Big Sky Country.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Culbertson has a small museum filled with the usual stuff.  At the far corner of the museum, there was a door stating there were more exhibits outside, so I decided to check them out.  The outdoor exhibit area was off to the side of the museum and was fenced in by a chain-link fence topped by razor wire.  After viewing the outdoor exhibit, I went to reenter the main building, only to find it locked.  The Culbertson Museum suddenly became the Culbertson Prison!!  The staff were on the other end of the building, and it took a couple of minutes alternately banging on the door and the walls before one of the staff finally heard me and let me in.

I guess you could say the museum was truly captivating!  :-)  

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerAt night they probably come alive!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Spurs and barbed-wire exhibits are common in western museums.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 4,201 miles (6,761 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0