Twenty-Four Photos--With So Much Nature, I Couldn't Help Myself - Me & The U.P. - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2024

Twenty-Four Photos--With So Much Nature, I Couldn't Help Myself

Van Riper State Park

The temperature got down to 47-degrees outside my tent and I slept like a bear cub in hibernation. (Which reminds me, I haven't seen a bear since last week.   I think today would be a good time to see another one.) I slept TOO well last night because I overslept the sunrise by at least a half-hour.

I ran across the highway to get a picture of the sun coming up over Keweenaw Bay anyway.   I was disappointed in the result, but that won't stop me from posting it.   When I got back to my campsite, I got a whiff of the bacon some nearby camper was cooking.   The scent made me disappointed that I only had coffee for breakfast.   Generally, coffee is all I want, but if they had come over with a plate of bacon that was fried up in a cast iron skillet, I'd have accepted without another thought.

Alas, no such offer was forthcoming.  If I was a bear, I'd have lumbered over to that campsite and TAKEN all their bacon.   I'm not a bear though, so I packed up my gear and started my day.

I bet this looked better thirty-minutes ago.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Scott AndersonFine like this, thanks.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Bruce LellmanQuit your complaining. You sound like a Minnesotan. I think this is gorgeous!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Packed up and ready to go. I just wish that highway wasn't there between me and the bay.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Emily SharpWhoa... you weren't kidding about highway noise!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Bruce LellmanI love this photo too. It has a dreamy feel to it. If you hadn't mentioned the highway I never would have even seen it in the photo. There's like a bit of soft focus feel to the bike that draws my eye away from that highway which is why I didn't notice it. Of course I can't hear the cars or I would have noticed it right away.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Less than two miles up the road I got this good-bye picture of Lake Superior. “See you again in a couple days,” I assured the lake.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanThese photos are so nice. You are enticing me to ride this route. Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic for my home country. I want to slip a canoe into that water.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Bruce LellmanThanks, Boof, for all the new comments. To be sure, I felt nostalgic for my home country too while riding this route. The nostalgia hit a crescendo in Marquette, where I couldn't control myself.

After I retired, The Feeshko and I considered moving back to Marquette (which is where we met) or possibly someplace else in the U.P. near the Greatest Lake in the World. In the end, we couldn't justify the hassle and expense of moving. Man, I sure was regretting that decision while on this tour. But then I remembered something I had written in a different journal. It was about how everybody finds a cool place where they want to live, but when they've been there a few years, it's just routine, and they want to take a vacation in some other ideal place they've just read about. Or maybe back to the place they left in the first place. Honestly, I didn't really appreciate the U.P., or even Iowa, until I moved away from those places.

As for slipping a canoe into that bay, I say "amen to that." It was so calm that maybe you could have paddled all the way to Isle Royale with your bike to begin that epic tour we discussed.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Then I had gradual climb away from the lake for the next hour-- maybe longer with all my dilly dallying.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Emily SharpOh no! Those clouds.... those don't bode well for staying dry in the next 48 hours!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Emily SharpTo Emily SharpHaha, now I read your next paragraph.... sorry jumped the gun!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

As I'm working on this journal page, I just noticed the freaky clouds in the last three photos.  They look as thin and holey as one of my 20-year old T-shirts that The Feeshko keeps telling me I should get rid of.

************

At this point, I'm going to have to change the style of my narrative.   I can't do justice to the rest of my day with the standard chronology of “this happened, then that happened, here's some pictures, then I saw this, then I saw that, then I did this, then I did that, here's some more pictures, then I went to sleep in my tent.

I saw more nature today than any bike tripper should be allowed to see in TWO days—all courtesy of the U.P.  The only way I can think of to write about all the nature is to divide it up into what I'm going to call “Nature Chapters.”  I'm going to start with Chapter One.

CHAPTER ONE:  Rivers, Streams & Creeks

I crossed bridges over more rivers and streams than I could keep track of. Twenty would not be an exaggeration at all.   Some were wide, some were narrow, some were fast, some barely seemed to be moving. Some of them even had waterfalls visible from the road.

The Falls of Falls Creek. That's not an error . . . it really is named Falls Creek and it had this waterfall.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Falls of Tioga Creek
Heart 6 Comment 0
The falls on the Sturgeon River.
Heart 5 Comment 0

I got an unexpected chance to do a little hiking to see that last one.  Michigan Tech University owns a large tract of forest along my route, and they built a nice hiking trail to a nice waterfall.  It's all part of the college's dedication to environmental research.  I never did anything so constructive when I was a college kid.  My “research” mostly involved going to the library and using the Dewey Decimal System to find books about such things as Supreme Court history, Robert F. Kennedy's relationship with J. Edgar Hoover, 1800's political “bosses” in American cities, Ernest Hemingway, Friedrich Nietzche, and useless stuff like that.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Bacco Creek also runs along the MTU trail.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Emily SharpThe guys are keen to float this one :-)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

CHAPTER TWO:  Animals

I only have two pictures, but I have a couple of exciting stories.   The best one involves a ruffed grouse.   If you've ever startled one of those birds, you'll never forget the loud drumbeat of their wings when they take flight.

As I was pedaling to the high point of my route, I did startle a ruffed grouse (a relative of what's known as a partridge in other places.)   I heard the drumming and saw the (I assume) mama bird and a couple of smaller ones fly from the ditch towards the woods.  The commotion almost caused me to swerve into traffic.   As I passed, I looked back and saw the mama bird flying about four feet from my head.  She looked as big as a bowling ball.  I shouted “WHOA!” and she veered away back to her babies.

I also saw a family of wild turkeys, a deer, several turtles, lots of crows, butterflies, horseflies, ducks.  Probably a few other animals I'm forgetting too.  I didn't see any mooses, but I did see a sign that gave me hope.

Heart 2 Comment 0
I made friends with this chipmunk at my campsite. I think he wanted food. The fact that I didn't feed him, yet he stuck around, makes me think he liked my friendly personality.
Heart 5 Comment 4
Bill ShaneyfeltSo close... 13 lined ground squirrel.

https://oaklandcountyblog.com/2019/08/02/i-am-not-a-chipmunk/
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Bill ShaneyfeltInteresting. Unlike a lot of my silly wildlife identifications, I really did think that was a chipmunk
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Bruce Lellman Yes, Ictidomys tridecemlineatus, the only Latin I know. Someone told me the Latin for this ground squirrel when I was about 19 years old and for some reason it stuck. I've been able to impress only about two people with this bit of knowledge since I was 19. But, I let them thinking that I knew the Latin name for every living thing.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Bruce LellmanYou just impressed a third person with your Latin knowledge. If I had tried to memorize "Ictidomys Tridecemlineatus" at age 19, the only thing I'd come up with now is "Ick-something."
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

CHAPTER THREE:  Lakes

I saw several lakes, big and small, along the way.   None of them were as magnificent as Lake Superior, but here are few pictures of the ones I most enjoyed.

This one is my fave. I spotted a couple picnic tables while riding and decided to stop there for my favorite bike tripping lunch of peanut butter—straight up, no bread.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Emily SharpPlease tell me you at least use a spoon? I agree with the no bread thing, though, even in the days of yore when I could eat bread.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Emily SharpYes, I use a spoon. I'm not totally uncivilized!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Lake Ruth
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lake George
Heart 4 Comment 0
A long, thin lake with an unknown name
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lake Michigamme, from tonight's campground
Heart 7 Comment 0

CHAPTER FOUR:  Rocks

I think these are examples of Canadian shield rock from the Pre-Cambrian era.   I'm no geologist, so I don't know what that means, but I learned about it while on my bike tour that included northern Minnesota, Ontario and Manitoba.  Until then, the only thing I knew about rocks was that small flat ones were the best for skipping over a body of water.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanEven these photos make me homesick.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 1
Emily SharpYou've had some nice shield pics already in your journal, but road cuts are always good geology porn!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 3 Comment 0

CHAPTER FIVE:  Wildflowers

There were hillsides of wildflowers almost all day.  I can't believe I stopped for only one picture, and it's far from the best photo opportunity of the day.   I did redeem myself with a close up of some mushrooms mixed in with cute flowers.

Purple Missile Flowers, She Loves Me She Loves Me Not Flowers, and Yellow Angel's Wings On A Stem are everywhere. Every once in a while you can see Orange Sunshine Blooms mixed in. (The Feeshko calls the Orange Sunshine Blooms "Indian Paintbrush.")
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltOrange one is orange hawkweed
https://michiganflora.net/record/363

Yellow flower is smooth hawkweed
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/320888/browse_photos?place_id=29

Fungus is fly agaric
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/321524-Amanita-muscaria-guessowii
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

CHAPTER SIX:  Camping 

Van Riper State Park was my last, best hope of seeing a moose.  Those big members of the deer family have been seen here on occasion.  The park also has a beach on Lake Michigamme, friendly chipmunks, and at least one cheerful park ranger.

On the downside is that I experienced the worst mosquito infestation of my bike trip so far.  As far as the bites go, it was nothing a few squirts from my vial of 100% DEET couldn't handle.  Even so, it's a little creepy seeing those bastards flying around your head just outside the DEET zone.  

Van Riper has a very large campground--something like 150 sites--but I picked out a small site far from the Rvs.  I remembered to take a picture of my site.  I like it. 

Michigan state parks all have those huge, ugly fire pits to spoil a great campsite picture.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Emily SharpThat is a nice campsite, and yes that is an exceptionally ugly fire pit. How do you get anything to burn in there without any holes at the bottom for oxygen to get in? 'Cause I'm thinking you would want the smoke from a fire to keep the mozzies away!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Blueberries are sweet, healthy, and my favorite fruit. The best ones are picked in the wild, in the late summer, in the U.P., but these will do.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltAgreed! Sun ripened wild blueberries are superior to store bought blueberries...
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Keith KleinHi,
Bill’s right. When I lived in Northernmost Minnesota years ago now, we used to go blueberry picking among the islands on Lake of the Woods and they were the best. I was afraid that I would no longer have access to these delights when we moved to France. Imagine my delight when I found out that they grow wild in the Alps, Vosges, and Jura mountains. They should be coming in soon….
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Keith KleinI bet you went into the woods and collected blueberries with an empty coffee can, as I did. I could easily eat a coffee can full of blueberries in a day. I'm sure you know what color your stool is the next day.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
Emily SharpOh, the Neligan Rd looks inviting. Think I might have had to route down the Nestoria-Herman Road - it looks interesting. Also looks like lots of short sharp hills and a whole lot of view-blockers though.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Gregory GarceauTo Emily SharpI looked at the Herman-Nestoria Road, but it seemed a little too rocky. It would definitely be YOUR kind of road though.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 300 miles (483 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWhat a day! Thanks for lots of pictures!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Emily SharpI like the chapters - it's sort of like bible verses for the Church of the Great Outdoors. It's certainly a beautiful place with lots of nice views and view-blockers, thanks for the tour.

I think 47 degrees is just about the perfect overnight low for camping if it's not raining. Cool enough to cuddle down in the bag and sleep well, but not so cold through the night it wakes you up.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago