Day 2 West Newton to Connellsville - Tally Gals Allegheny Passage and C&O - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2024

Day 2 West Newton to Connellsville

Another beautiful morning. Leaving West Newton you are immediately immersed in the forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Temperatures started in the high 60s and by noon reach the 80s. Air conditioned breezes flowed down from higher elevations where the ridge line moved closer to the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rest stop at covered table along trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cedar Creek depot repurposed as a park with a boat ramp, swim and picnic areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of ramp, river and beach area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
West Yough River scenic bridge overlook.
Heart 0 Comment 0
West Yough bridge currently leads to nowhere. But there are a couple of built in picnic benches where it ends roughly in the middle of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of river from bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kayakers enjoying the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campground and stained glass arch at the outskirts of Connellsville.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Visitors Center and Park in Connellsville. Park is complete with playground, picnic area, swimming area and concession stand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Map of the Youghiogheny River and it’s Native American roots.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swimmers
Heart 0 Comment 0
River view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wow! Section of GAP trail heading into the town of Connellsville- separated, protected and planted beautifully.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch stop at the Kickstand, in town close to the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Excellent salad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes outside the Kickstand. Nice crowd, good food. Bike shop next door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Connellsville from in front of our Bed and Breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Needless to say with only a 27 mile day we were in Connellsville well before noon. Hung out and talked to some young folks at the park, visited the B&B to discover they opened at 3pm. Eat lunch, found a pint of Hagen Das ice cream at the Dollar store. Returned to park, read, talked to more young people.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back of Conellesville Bed and Breakfast. Bikes in garage, fridge, washer and dryer on our floor. Yeah! Bob handwashing tonight. Thunderstorm rolled in about 4:00.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 251 miles (404 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0