Luarca to Figueras - Spain, a Paleolithic Twist - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2024

Luarca to Figueras

Rolling Hills and Sunny Skies

One lovely characteristic of Spain has been the relaxed way you can start the morning. Breakfast has mostly started between 8 and 9am. This morning was chilly at 53 degrees. We decided to wait for it to warm up a bit and left about 10am.  Sunny sky’s prevailed with a clear blue sky, rolling hills and a nice wind to our backs. 

This lovely Saturday morning had individual and groups of riders flying past us as well as leisurely and utilitarian rides out enjoying the day. Campers headed down to the beaches with surfboards on top turning north as we rode west. 

Spaniards walk. We’ve seen them walking to shop, at least a mile from a store, walking in towns big and small. Walking in the countryside from one small town to another or from town to I’m guessing their farm or home. 

Farmland and the ocean on our right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farmland and foothills of the Picos on our left.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small community in the distance
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old farm building
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our favorite reststops have turned out to be gas stations. Most sell fresh baguettes and pastries. We’ve seen a number of people leave with a loaf of bread. Bathrooms in Spain have been free.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fireworks, church bells ringing, bagpipes, and a base drum, a procession from town with religious icon being carried to the church, large tents, games and a large stage set up and possibly a deflated bounce house. A celebration to be sure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old Roman influenced building along the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Are we in the right place? Driveway to our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Statutes on the grounds
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hotel, there is also another house, the original owner’s daughter’s house and a large garage with what could be rooms above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Built in 1912 - influenced by Art Deco
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our sitting area
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bedroom
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many framed tapestries in the hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Center of the building looking down to main floor. Skylight above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another city built into the hills. A staircase on the way down to the port.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch was fancy too. If my granddaughters were here, we’d be celebrating a Fancy Nancy day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ships under construction with the use of cranes at the port. Ship building business located at the boat ramp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings along the waterfront. We ate in the blue building. Two men came ashore and folded up there kayak to put in their car. The paddles also came apart. When we first arrived they were way out in the middle of river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we ride/walk across the river. 

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 163 miles (262 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0