Cave Hornas de la Pena - Spain, a Paleolithic Twist - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2024

Cave Hornas de la Pena

Map app inaccuracy

Almost late due to construction on the “flat” route we climbed back up and coasted down to a larger road. Only to climb again through narrow twisting streets among small farms.  German shepherds seem to take their guard duties seriously by barking and making their presence known but not leaving their property. 

View of farms as we climbed up to the cave.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Hornas de la Peña we were told was home to both Neanderthals and Homo sapiens. He dated some of the cave etchings back 35 thousand years with more recent dating back 12-15 thousand years.  Spread through the cave there were only a few etchings visible when lighted just right. The animals depicted were 2 horses done in different  eras, a bison, a deer, a bull. 

Only 12 visitor per day are allowed inside, 4 per group to help preserve the artifacts. The cave is protected by two locked gates. Tickets must be purchased online in advance. Stalagmites and stalagtites formed some pillars in the cave. Stalagmites are called macaroni in Spanish.   Hard hats are provided with good reason as there are areas where you must duck down quite a bit to walk through. The guide stated that there are believed to be 65 caves in Spain that were inhabited by early humans. 

Information sign at cave Hornas de la Pena
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our guide is in the black jacket and fortunately spoke enough  English. The couple with us on the tour were from Holland and spoke excellent English, German and Dutch. We had a lovely conversation with them after the tour. 

Guide and our group
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cave entrance. No pictures are allowed inside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View returning. Town of Jain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Jain in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0

More map challenges as we literally did circles before deciding to walk the bikes down a former road, now pedestrian passage, over railroad tracks, to continue the route. Interesting navigational day for sure.

Today's ride: 15 miles (24 km)
Total: 340 miles (547 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0