In York: walking the walls - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2024

In York: walking the walls

On our layover day in York Rachael combined a walk around the city’s walls with an out and back on the Foss Way, one of the walking routes that radiates out from the city along its waterways.   This one is along the River Foss, a minor tributary of the Ouse that flows in from the north end merges into the Ouse just behind our pub.

First though, the walls.  From Wikipedia:  York has, since Roman times, been defended by walls of one form or another. To this day, substantial portions of the walls remain, and York has more miles of intact wall than any other city in England. They are known variously as York City Walls, the Bar Walls and the Roman walls (though this last is a misnomer as very little of the extant stonework is of Roman origin, and the course of the wall has been substantially altered since Roman times). The walls are generally 13 feet (4m) high and 6 feet (1.8m) wide.  They are the longest town walls in England.  

The linked article has much more to say about the walls than this brief overview, including their complicated history that parallels the history of the city itself.  The original walls were built by the Romans in 71 AD under the rule of Septimius Severus.  two centuries later they were enhanced under the rule of Constantine the Great by adding the Multiangular tower, which still exists.  The walls were in poor shape when the Danes occupied the city in 867 and then reinforced them and demolished all of the original towers, sparing only the Multiangular Tower.  Most of the walls that survive today though date from the 13th and 14th centuries.

Impressive, if not up to the high bar set by those astonishing walls we saw this spring in Avila.  Still though, pretty great.  I was sorry I hadn’t realized that you could walk them or I would probably done that myself instead of taking the bike ride I did.  It’s one of a number of reasons for us to consider coming back to York some year.

On the way to the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful garden on the way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A view from the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The walls.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The walkway on top.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The York Minster cathedral
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view from the walls.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steps lead down to the Cathedral.
Heart 3 Comment 0

There is then another set of stairs leading up to the walls again.

The view back from the continuation of the walls walk way.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another great view from the walls.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading back down.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mural near the college campus.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I couldn’t follow my  mapped route the whole way but I finally found the trail along the river.

This was a beautiful walking path and not to over grown.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The following photos are along the Foss Way walking path.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scott’s not the only one that spots birds! Here’s a wooden owl.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0