In York: the Selby ride - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2024

In York: the Selby ride

We’re in the center of the flood plain of the River Ouse of Yorkshire (to be distinguished from the River Ouse of Sussex and the Great River Ouse, each of which has their own floodplains), and the terrain is plane in all directions.  To be honest it’s not the most inspiring cycling country, and I’m tempted to load up on ibuprofen and explore the city on foot.  I waver back and forth but finally am nudged into a decision by the existence of a bike path that follows the Ouse most of the way to the next market town downriver from here, Selby.

The first ten miles, all the way to Riccall, really are quite nice.  I’m on a separated bike/pedestrian path the whole way, enjoying relaxing riding past a variety of pleasant if not terribly dramatic sights.

Looking south on the Ouse of Yorkshire from the Skeltergate Bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Skeltergate Bridge, adorned with six-pointed stars and the white rose of York.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The same setting, adorned with a bike.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Skeltergate Bridge and the Morgenster.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I’m pretty sure this is the first coiled rope shot of the journal. They’ve done a very nice job here, one worth recording.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Completed in 2001, the Millennium Bridge rapidlybecame one of the most popular walking and cycling routes in York. At night the bridge looks particularly picturesque as it is illuminated by lights which constantly change colour.
Heart 2 Comment 0
South of the Milleneum Bridge the path crosses a large meadow bordered by a long row of lime trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They’re at peak bloom right now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Horse racing has a long history inYork and may even have existedin Roman times during the reign of Emperor Severus. The first official record of a race meeting in York was at Clifton Ings in1709, which later transferred toThe Knavesmire due to constant flooding. During the 18th century up to 100,000 people could attend an event. Races were accompanied by side shows, gypsy singers, cockfights and even public executions.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beyond the racetrack the path passes through several miles of greenery. It’s been cut back by the mower I’ll pass soon, but beyond that it attractively encroaches on the edges of the trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Occasional breaks in the green wall give windows into the cultivated fields on either side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It takes awhile for it to sink in that I’m leaving the Solar System as I bike south. The inner planets pass quickly, but by the time I reach Uranus they’re nearly two miles apart. It feels like I’ll never get to Pluto.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Ouse, here an important fishing hole apparently.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We learn something new nearly every day lately. In Nidderdale we had grouse butts, in York mini-fridges. Today we have anti-climb paint.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cruising down the Ouse on a Wednesday afternoon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One encouraging feature along the path here is a series of bird blinds. Two of them open onto nothing, screened over completely by the green wall. This one though at least gives us a nice view of a completely bird-free potato field. It seems unnecessary, really - potatoes aren’t exactly flighty.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We’ve been seeing a lot of these bright blossoms lately. You’ll see it in Rachael’s latest post also.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s Buddleia davidii (summer lilac, or butterfly bush). So is everything an invasive species then? At least this one isn’t illegal.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another tentative weather situation.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So as I said, the track is quite nice all the way to Riccall but after that it’s just road most of the way; and Selby itself is no great tourist sight and not an easy place to bike into at the end.  I’m not that excited about it when I get there, and I don’t stay long.  On the way back I check Rachael’s position on the Garmin and see that she won’t be home for awhile yet so I stop off at the Greyhound in Riccall for a pint and sausage roll.  

Crossing the Ouse at the entrance to Selby. Interesting how muddy it looks here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Market Square in Selby, with what remains of its abbey behind.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Selby hasn’t been spoiled by mass tourism yet. Get there and see for yourself while it still has that authentic ambience!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Selby Abbey, founded in 1069 by the Benedict of Auxerre, is one of the few British monasteries to survive from the Middle Ages. It was locked today or I’d have taken a look inside.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Selby Abbey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You find scofflaws everywhere these days.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Abbey Road, but not THAT Abbey Road. There are lots of them in the U.K.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A White Rat pairs well with the sausage roll but makes me contemplate the roll’s ingredient list.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rich FrasierNot good to think too much about that…
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 2,537 miles (4,083 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0