In Saltburn-by-the-Sea: the Coastal Path - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2024

In Saltburn-by-the-Sea: the Coastal Path

What a great place to hike!  Almost immediately, I ran into this group of kids with their leader heading down to enjoy the beach.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back on the upper part of town where we were staying. That’s Cat Nab in the foreground.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Graham FinchI think I stayed in that big hotel on the right!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchThe Grand Hotel, and now this. You stay in all the best places.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
How refreshing to have a well marked trail.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I’m following the Cleveland Way trail along the coast.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 2
Bob KoreisDamn, gives me the willies just with a photo. Wind would make it worse. That's a long way down.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bob KoreisI never get too close to the edge!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
This metal sculpture is called the Charm Bracelet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0

Below is an old fan house for ventilating a mine.  See the link below for a description.  A hiking trail use to cross over the train track but it’s now closed off.  I decided it wasn’t worth the 1,000 pound fine or getting electrocuted!

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1420051

This is the Guibal Fanhouse, that provided ventilation for an ironstone mine. From the comments on Trip Advisor it looks like you could walk across the tracks to visit it a few y3ars ago but it’s padlocked shut now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is a photo looking back at all the structures.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I really like these step over gates!
Heart 6 Comment 2
Graham FinchIt's called a 'stile'.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonThat’s the old English term that’s out of stile now. The new term is step over gates. Maybe it hasn’t made it down to your backwater down in Taiwan yet.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
This area is rich in fossils noted by this stone marker with embedded ammonites.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Now I’m following the long distance coastal path.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Unfortunately, soon after this, I ran into a water obstacle that I couldn’t get around and turned back!  But, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  I returned taking a different route, eating my lunch along the way.  And went out after an early dinner for a wonderful hike on the beach.  The photos below are from that hike.

Dropping down from our place on a nice quiet path.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stairs are much better than a busy road. I had an angry driver shout at me in the afternoon when I was trying to cross the road with a non stop stream of cars!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The following photos are of the spectacular cliffs along the beach!  I kept walking, stopping every hundred yards for another photo.  

Everyone else was down by the water but I wanted to stay close to the cliffs.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heading back along the boardwalk.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Susan CarpenterWhat a great hike along the Cleveland Way! And the beach walk along the base of the cliffs wasn't bad either. Great photos!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonI liked the earlier hike along the Cleveland trail but was disappointed when I couldn’t get through. The evening hike was amazing! The cliffs kept getting more colorful as I went along.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Patrick O'HaraThe photos are incredible.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonThanks. I was lucky to be out at the right time of day.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago