In Llanidloes (a photo gallery) - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2024

In Llanidloes (a photo gallery)

We’re staying in Llanidloes for three nights, which might seem a little surprising.  It’s one of the larger towns in mid-Wales but nevertheless quite small; and not being one of the better known spots in the region like Hay, Rhayader or Abergavenny it’s well off the tourist circuit.  We had our own misgivings about our decision to stay so long here, but I liked the place the minute we biked in.  It’s strikingly well preserved, almost a living museum, with every other structure in its modest core worth a second look.  Easily enough material for a photo gallery to remember it through.

Also, a note about the name of the town.  It’ gradually sinking in through my thick skull that many Welsh names are compounds.  Llanidloes is a compound of Llan (saint) and Idloes, the saint the town’s oldest church is dedicated to.  Similarly, Abergavenny is a compound of Aber (confluence or estuary of a river) and Gavenny, the river that flows into the Usk there.

The Old Market Hall, dating from the early 17th Century, stands prominently at the junction of the two primary commercial streets through town: Long Bridge Street, which ends at the Long Bridge over the Severn, and Short Bridge Street. You’ll have to make your own guess on where the second one ends.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another view of the Old Market Hall.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Melbourne House (1926).
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsLooks as if 1629 would have been equally possible.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsReally? I wouldn’t think so. Art Nouveau wouldn’t be invented for another three centuries yet.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
I think this is on Great Oak Street, a continuation of Short Bridge Street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Old Town Hall (1908).
Heart 3 Comment 0
The United Reform Church, on Short Bridge Street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Short Bridge Street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Long Bridge Street, across the street from our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view down Long Bridge Street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Plynimon House (1894). On Long Bridge Street, photographed from our room.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A little further down on Long Bridge Street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Adjacent to the Short Bridge is the Bridge End Flannel Mill, built in 1834.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Keith AdamsLook at all those windows! A sight to gladden the heart.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsAnd not a one of them bricked over! I was really pleased with the light for this shot. I’d taken another one earlier in the day when we arrived and it had much less character.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Also nearby is the Old Roundhouse (1839), the site of the first town jail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Penygraig Street. The houses on this side of the street back onto the river.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraLovely how the greenery adds so much to this street. Imagine it without it.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Also on Penygraig street is this abandoned industrial structure, for sale if you’re feeling industrious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St. Idloes Church, dedicated to a seventh century saint about whom very little is known. This is the only church known to be dedicated to him. Note the similarity to the town’s name.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tombstones line the wall of St. Idloes Church.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Well, that feels a little light so let’s round out the post with some shots from my excursion the afternoon we arrived.  It began with a short walk along the river, short because the town only has a path along about three blocks of it.  Nice though, what little there is along it.

I was wrong thinking that robin back along the canal in Tiverton was the best robin shot I’d ever get. I like this one even better. He has such a quizzical, curious expression.
Heart 7 Comment 0
I was sure this little guy was a new bird, and it is - just not a new species for the year. He’s a new robin, probably not out of the nest long. This is a good season for learning the baby birds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
#254: Gossander. Actually, this is a bit of a fudge. The gossander is a subspecies of the same species that includes our common merganser. Who knows why they’re subspecies instead of their own species? It’ll probably change some day so I might as well include it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Long Bridge, the one you’ve all undoubtedly been waiting to see.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The River Severn, another newbie - here we’re seeing it only about thirty miles from its source. Surprisingly to me, the Severn is the longest river in the U.K.: 220 miles from its source in the Cambrian Mountains to its mouth near Bristol.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From there I crossed the Long Bridge (which is actually pretty short), climbed away from it for a few blocks, and then took about a three mile loop wandering through the Alt Goch, a protected woodland that was cleared of its commercial forest of Douglas fir and pine about thirty years ago and replanted with native species.  It’s a calming, green place to wander, with a maze of trails crossing it that promote getting a little lost - as Rachael will discover on her walk tomorrow.

Llanidloes has many attractive gardens, and we’re here in a good season for enjoying them.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Into the woods. Two long distance trails through mid-Wales pass through the Alt Goch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just before entering the Alt Goch I get a nice view down on town. It’s the last real view I’ll get before finally leaving the woods later.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In the Alt Goch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the Alt Goch. Beech trees like these are probably the primary species now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But this remarkable specimen, an English oak, was my favorite of the day.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0