Hay, I missed a challenge - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2024

Hay, I missed a challenge

Yesterday

Rachael and I didn’t make the most of our two night Hay stay.  First off, I frittered away the best weather we’d see here yesterday afternoon, sitting around our room being a slug after our ride over Gospel Pass.  From time to time I’d look up and out the window, take note of how nice the afternoon light was, consider whether I should walk around town for a look, and then turn back to what I was doing again.  

Finally though I felt guilty enough to step out and catch the last rays of the day - but by then of course nearly everything was in the shadows.  Since I went out though,

 I might as take a little credit for my poor effort.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rich FrasierHow nice of them to explain.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierOh, I forgot to caption this. I was going to point that out so folks would know what they’re looking at.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

Afterwards I went down to the bar for a bowl of soup and a beer.  When the bartender took my order and poured me a pair of half pints to compare he asked if I was a resident.  No, I’m an American I smartly responded, realizing to late to avoid sounding like a fool that he just wanted to know if I was a guest at the hotel so he could charge my tab to our room.

Today

It’s not quite right to say we didn’t make the best use of our time here - it’s more that it was a major missed opportunity, an inspiration that struck too late to be of use.  My three castle hat trick was impressive enough back in Abergavenny, but even more impressive would be if I’d thought to take on the Hay Book Challenge and visit each of Hay’s 20 bookstores in the same day.  It would have been splendid, with photos of each of the storefronts, selfie shots of me browsing shelves and considering eclectic or steamy titles, and maybe taking tea and cakes in a few shops.  The perfect use of a grey, often times wet Hay day.  Regrettably though I didn’t think of it until the end of the day.

Hay on Wye (popular ion 2,000) has one big claim to fame: it has 20 book sellers, or one for every hundred residents.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Rachael’s day

 I had a great hike mapped out to go up into the hills but the ride with gps route had me walking on a non existent trail.  I continued on the same busy road and soon came to the path below and followed it.  Since the gate wasn’t chained and I didn’t have a dog, how could I pass up sheep?

Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s great to have escorts!
Heart 4 Comment 0
What a beautiful setting with lots of sheep!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Janice BranhamGorgeous shot
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Well this isn’t good. I was hoping this trail would lead me back to my route but I can climb over it.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Darn, another fence but it was easier to climb and actually had a clear path on the other side.

Heart 2 Comment 0

After climbing over this fence, I finally found a way to scramble down to the road.

After walking on the road I came to a great walking path that led to a village called Clyro.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful bridge in Clyro.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Very scenic picnic spot in Clyro.
Heart 3 Comment 0

And Scott’s

My plan was to bike out to a lake about twelve miles to the west, a known birding hotspot.  Several new species have been reported from there in just the last few days: barnacle goose, common pochard, tufted duck and even an oystercatcher were all spotted - all ones easy to identify even at a distance, so as usual I’m optimistic.  My main concern is the weather - rain is due to arrive in three or four hours, so there’s no telling if I’ll even make it to the lake or come back dry.

It’s a quiet but surprisingly hard ride to Llangors Lake - well, not that surprising because I’m biking into a 15 mph wind most of the way - but I’m still dry when I get there and it looks like there’s time to look around. Unfortunately when I do I don’t see anything new.  A slew of mallards, with scattered swans, grebes, coots and swallows.  

I take a few shots but don’t stay long because it’s cool, windy, and I don’t trust the weather.  The ride back goes much faster with the wind at my back now, and I’m nearly fast enough - I’m less than a half mile from the hotel when the first showers break through.  I’m happy though - I got my ride in, I got a nice shot of a buzzard and then some swans for Rachael, and surprisingly enough I spotted 25 different species* today just by keeping my eyes open as I biked along.

By far the highlight of the outing though was when I passed through Talgarth and saw a group of at least seven red kites swirling around above the village.  Amazing to see, and a surprise to see that they were still there on the way back an hour later.

West from Hay, biking into the wind, dry for now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Buzzard.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsI still have to consciously think "vulture" when I watch the carrion fowl soaring lazily overhead around here; I've equated "buzzard" and "vulture" as synonyms for my entire life and it's a difficult habit to break. But thanks for correcting that misapprehension.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsYup. It took me awhile too. They’re nothing like a buzzard; they’re buteos, the same family as red tailed hawks and the like.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Wall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Red kite, one of at least seven.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dropping toward the lake, wondering how much time I’ve got.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Llangors Lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Besides the elusive birds I was hoping to see, Llangors Lake has one big claim to fame. Here’s the information blurb: This is a Crannog, the name given to an ancient, man-made island. Such structures are common in Ireland and Scotland, but the Llangors Crannog is the only known example in Wales and England, and has been identified as a royal residence. It is over 1,000 years old, but people have been here a lot longer.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsSo instead of carving out a moat around the castle, they built the castle in the existing moat. Huh. Seems like a lot of work.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThanks for reminding me of this and prompting me to read up on them. Apparently they were wooden structures raised above the water on pilings, which makes me think of photos I’ve seen from Southeast Asia. There are over a thousand of them in Ireland apparently, so they must have been quite common several millennia ago.

The greenery is the modern contribution, and not a feature at the time. Its overgrown by greenery inaccessible to livestock.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Yippee, mallards! Let me check my list - have I seen mallards yet this year? Um, yes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
For Rachael. I like the way she’s checking to see if everyone is present and accounted for. I wonder if swans can count to six?
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1

We hang out in the room for the rest of the afternoon, happy that this isn’t a travel day.  We don’t stir again until going out for dinner at Red Velvet, an Indian restaurant that looks like the best option in town.  They’re just opening when we arrive, but one other couple is seated already.  Our greeter comes to take our drink orders but then gives us some bad news - the server is a no show tonight, and this young lady is not authorized to serve food.  No meals can be delivered until the owner arrives, and he’s still 45 minutes away.  Too long for the impatient TA team so we take our business instead to the Three Tuns, a pub we tried two years ago but weren’t that enthusiastic about.  Were not that enthusiastic this time either, but it’s good enough and fills the Rachael.

Jay’s clock tower.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The type of board I’ll never understand.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Janice BranhamI understand Beefeater. Did you try any?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamNo, I’m just a beer and wine guy. Not being able to smell or taste anything though, it’s all pretty incomprehensible to me.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Keith AdamsI prefer hydro-gin and oxy-gin, in a 2:1 ratio, to all other types of gin.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

________
* Today’s bird tally: Jackdaw, Carrion crow, Rook, English sparrow, Eurasian goldfinch, European Robin, Dunnock, Eurasian blackbird, Eurasian magpie, Wood pigeon, Rock dove , Ring necked dove, Canada goose, Mallard, Eurasian coot, Great crested grebe, Common buzzard, Red kite, Barn swallow, Western house martin , Mute swan, Common swift, Ring necked pheasant, Long tailed tit, White wagtail, Herring gull

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 2,108 miles (3,392 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Janice BranhamImpressive bird count. Do you just keep them in your head, write them in a notebook, take pictures of everything ??
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamJust in my head, unless I’m lucky enough to catch one unawares that’s worth stopping for a shot.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Gregory GarceauNo doubt, I'd have the same reply to "are you a resident" as you did. Then I'd wonder how he couldn't have picked up on my accent.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauOh, he knew well enough. He laughed when I said I was American, saying he’d picked that up already as soon as I opened my mouth. That’s when I realized he meant something different.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago