Waldshut to Kloten - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2024

Waldshut to Kloten

A Dry Start, A Wet Finish

The last riding day of a tour is to be savoured, at least that is how I felt when we started out this morning. We had overcast skies but it was dry, and Waldshut looked lovely. At my request there was just a little bit of shopping after breakfast , and then we were on our way, with a few funny miscues at the start.  The church parking lot was not the way out of town. 

From our hotel room window.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Picnic picked up, conveniently right next door to our Hotel Waldshuter Hof.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretPretzels! Lucky you! I never found them when I was in Germany last month…except at the Bremen airport..no thanks..
Reply to this comment
4 hours ago
It was tempting to add a few of these.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I was firm. I wasn’t leaving without a poke around the shops.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Note the wooden slats in the middle of the pedestrian area. Yesterday this was an open waterway which struck us as a little hazardous!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A little further along it was still open. You really had to pay attention.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The flower boxes are still blooming.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Once on the right track it really was that day to be savoured and I was once more celebrating our decision to finish the trip on our bikes, not on a train. We decided to ride on the German side and it was terrific. Lots to look at and cute small villages to pass through. 

Always away from the traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then routed into the countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of sheep in the area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Does anyone know what the green paint signifies?
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltSame reason for branding cattle in western US...

Identification.
Reply to this comment
11 hours ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesUsually the ram has a harness holding paint that transfers to the ewe's back when breeding has occurred. The paint colour is changed (weekly, ?) so the shepherd can tell when the ewe is due to lamb. The paint is usually transferred to over the back nearer the tail end, though, so not sure what the paint on this one signifies.
Reply to this comment
11 hours ago
Mike AylingTo Bill ShaneyfeltAgree
Reply to this comment
4 hours ago
Cute villages to roll through.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Back by the road for a time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Approaching German engineering.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were stopped in one of those villages puzzled by the fact that Keith’s route had disappeared from his phone (never a good thing) and neither of us had any internet. A lovely young woman with the cutest daughter asked if we needed help. We told her we couldn’t figure out why we had no data, and she pointed to the big hill between us and Switzerland. That was the problem. Since Keith hadn’t downloaded the offline map as it hadn’t been an issue until today he cobbled something together until we were back on track. 


The village where the route on the phone disappeared.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat must have been scary! We’re fortunate that our gps’s don’t require a connection.
Reply to this comment
2 hours ago
I love the expression.
Heart 3 Comment 0
From what I could figure out this person makes the intricate metal signs, lamps and gates that we see.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretCute ( and appropriate ) witch atop the weather vane for October!
Reply to this comment
4 hours ago
Kathleen ClassenAt first we thought all the decor was someone who didn’t know when to stop 😂. Then we saw his shop in the back.
Reply to this comment
3 hours ago
He had just about every example of his work on display.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We could really make tracks here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Planting a solar farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across the river on the Swiss side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Late bloomers.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We stopped for our picnic at a sweet little chapel with a killer view. It was a great interlude. 

What a perfect spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A great bike shot.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our bench and view.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We crossed an enormous dam and we were back in Switzerland. The route just kept on giving, and then we came to workers repairing the bike path. Asphalt was being rolled flat, flames from a torch were flaming and there were only a couple of feet to get around the chaos. I was sure we would be turned back. Nope, the nicest man said “langsom”, one of my few German words, and we were through. He didn’t even ask us to walk the bikes. 

This infrastructure was impressive.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
No barriers to crossing it though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are flames down there.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat did you do to get around this spot?
Reply to this comment
2 hours ago
Heading under the tracks.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This part of the ride was beautiful.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Interesting sculptures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then it started to rain. Not a downpour, not a drizzle. Just steady rain. I stopped by a covered bridge to get out the Goretex. I had intentionally put it on top for this possibility. Whenever Keith or I need to find something mid ride we always call ‘50/50 chance’ as we open the first pannier. In this case I lost so I buckled up, opened pannier #2 and no joy there either. I became seriously worried that in my intention to put my jacket on top, I had left it behind. Of course I hadn’t but in the end I emptied virtually everything out of both panniers before I found it. It had worked its way close to the bottom. Just what you need in the rain. 

Keith looking back wondering what the heck I am doing.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Patrick O'HaraI hate it when you have to empty your panniers to find something. Plus, the 50/50 game, I lose most of the time anyways! So much for statistics.
Reply to this comment
6 hours ago
Kathleen ClassenI lose most of the time too 😂. So does Keith. It does make one wonder about the statistics.
Reply to this comment
3 hours ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a pain! I’m lucky that I have some a big pocket in both my panniers so I can keep my rain pants in one of them and my shoe covers in the other.
Reply to this comment
2 hours ago
So he took this lovely picture while I reorganized my bags.
Heart 5 Comment 0

The ride was beautiful from then on, but in the steady rain we just wanted to get it done. So much for savouring the last riding day. As we were getting close, huge jet after huge jet was passing overhead. It is quite the experience. 

So we stopped at the top of a hill to get a picture. We waited and waited. The planes had been coming easily one a minute, but when we stopped they disappeared. It was comical. After several soggy minutes we gave up.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretSounds and seems like returning to Amsterdam and riding near the Schipol flight path. It really is annoying and I have to wonder why houses are SO expensive in this area and yet deal with this overhead noise! I was informed it’s a “trade off” of living OUT of the city, but close enough to get IN.
Reply to this comment
3 hours ago
Kathleen ClassenThey are so loud when they are so low. These felt like, and probably were, just a few hundred feet overhead. Or less. We found it exciting, but we only had to deal with it for a short stretch.
Reply to this comment
3 hours ago

We spent the last 10 km or so before Kloten on the most amazing road, bike lane on either side, and we were the only ones using it. I wasn’t sure where we were relative to the airport when I heard a plane overhead. I knew it was low, it was so loud. Not low though, on the ground and it roared by me less than 100 m away. Wow!  That would be a runway right there. 

Why is this road paralleling the runway here? Just for us? We sure enjoyed it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We made it!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Even our underwear was wet. It was fun despite the rain.
Heart 7 Comment 4
Scott AndersonYes, that’s exactly my idea of fun too.
Reply to this comment
3 hours ago
Rachael AndersonIt’s not mine! Sorry you had to have rain on your last day.
Reply to this comment
2 hours ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonSunshine would have been ideal, but at least the day was dry until 2 PM, exactly as predicted. We were glad not to be on a train 😝
Reply to this comment
1 hour ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonYou made me laugh. We would never ride in it at home unless caught by unexpected rain, but once you are in it, it’s okay. Wouldn’t sunshine have been grand though?
Reply to this comment
1 hour ago

We have everything we were wearing drying in the room. We both had long, hot showers. We came back from dinner and the room was very humid!  We have used our wet clothing as an excuse to not pack the bikes today. We have two nights here and all day tomorrow to get organized. Instead we celebrated another successful tour with appies and wine in the room, and dinner in the hotel restaurant. Appies were a Granny Smith apple and the last of the cheese in our picnic supplies. 

We have a beautiful room but with wet gear hanging everywhere it is looking a bit like a laundry.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraLife is pretty good, I see.
Reply to this comment
5 hours ago

It has been a relaxing and enjoyable evening, trading stories about our favourite days of this tour and others. 

Today's ride: 54 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,804 km (1,120 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rich FrasierCongratulations on another fantastic tour! I’ve been furiously taking notes and will shamelessly steal major parts of your route for one of our upcoming rides. I really enjoyed following along!
Reply to this comment
11 hours ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks for writing up your adventures for all of us. Wishing you the smoothest of travel on your return home to BC!
Reply to this comment
4 hours ago
Karen PoretAs always, a great hit and so fun to share your experiences as you do so well!
Reply to this comment
3 hours ago
Rachael AndersonI’ve really enjoyed following your travels and am very glad we had a chance to see you!
Reply to this comment
2 hours ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat a wonderful trip! And your enthusiasm is contagious, I want to go to all the same places now!
Reply to this comment
1 hour ago