Voiron to St. Jean en Royans - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2024

Voiron to St. Jean en Royans

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today felt like a much easier day than yesterday, despite the almost 600 metres of climbing. It was the weather. While it was very cool, a ridiculous 6°C when we started out, and the weather app said it felt like 5°C, it was a much better day overall. Crazy though. Yesterday at the campground the proprietor said it was 30°C last week.  Timing is everything! The good news is that cold is easier to deal with than being too hot. Just layer up in everything you brought with you. So after a great breakfast we did just that. 

Toque, full finger gloves, Goretex, a down vest, wool socks and more. If I had fallen I would have bounced.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThere is much to be said for bouncing when falling.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretSaid the Michelin Man 🤣
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

It was also nice today to start with a long descent.  We were immediately routed ono quiet roads with virtually no traffic. The views were tremendous and the weather was great at this point. Cold, but patches of blue sky made it very pleasant. 

Looking down before the descent. We are looking towards Grenoble.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Quiet and almost car free roads on our way down with a view of the Vercors in the distance.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rod BlastCar free sounds great. You deserved it!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Such interesting skies today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then the bike route put us on the Isere. This track was incredible. Views, flat, just amazing riding. No work for anyone because no navigation was required. River and jaw dropping mountain views on the left?  You are where you should be. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 12 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Eventually of course, such perfection had to end and we climbed out of the valley and rode through hectares of walnut trees. It was peaceful and car free. The weather was putting on a show. Brief periods of sun and lots of big dark clouds. We hadn’t been rained on though. 

Hectares and hectares of walnut trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I don’t know when they are ready to harvest. The trees were loaded.
Heart 1 Comment 0


We decided to eat yesterdays picnic today at a little park in a small village.  As we were cycling through a young boy, he couldn’t have been more than 12, wished us a happy journey and asked if we needed any help, in excellent English. It was charming. As for the picnic, we had our thermos of tea (we love that thermos) and relaxed. At the precise moment I told Keith I was getting chilled and we should get moving the sky opened up and it poured. We huddled under a tree and waited it out. At one point Keith thought it had run its course, but he only got as far as the next tree and it started again. 

We loved this display in someone’s yard.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretThat is your double(s)!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Entering the village.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It was really raining hard.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then it was on again and off again for about an hour. We sheltered under a structure next to a church and I discovered it was spotless public toilets. There were a few more tree shelters, and then we were done with rain for the day. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
A good day to be a pig. Lots of mud to wallow in.
Heart 10 Comment 0
The roads were so well marked.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The wind started to pipe up, but luckily it was in the right direction. We rode through fields, small villages and had views always. It was very different from our last approach to St. Jean en Royans, so much so that I was completely turned around. We stopped to finish our tea and polish off our last tart from yesterday in a tiny community park. Keith drew me a map in the gravel and I finally had my head wrapped around where we were. Keith played a little pétanque while we were there with the local kids. He was pretty good!

Observing the technique.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Giving it a go.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Bob KoreisAnd here I thought it was an old man's sport.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith ClassenTo Bob KoreisI do see an old man in those shots.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Now the experts turn.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So many stone houses.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Those dramatic skies again.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesAnd look at the rain coming down across the valley!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretYes.. I was in that wet stuff again today.. I need to join Suzanne’s good luck club 😉
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Karen PoretWhat is with this weather? We looked at Avignon today as a running joke with us when faced with lousy weather is - we’ll take a train to Avignon! But even there isn’t great at the moment and the mistral is blowing. Sheesh.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Almost there.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We wanted to stay at the bed and breakfast we stayed at in 2019. It was such a remarkable experience. We were hoping for two nights but they only had tonight available. Disappointing but better than no stay at all!  We knew check in wasn’t until 5 PM, but bike travel being imprecise in the timing department we arrived an hour early.  We sat observing the the growing wind in the garden and relaxed. I was happy for all those layers. 

Once the host arrived we checked in and dropped the bags to ride back into St. Jean en Royans for some dinner. We were thinking a quick pizza, but this being France nothing was open yet and we were hungry. We went to the bakery instead, found some sustenance and rode back to the Chambre de Hôte to enjoy. We are delighted that the same family is running the property, he remembered us, and they now have four kids, adding one since our last visit. Talk about a busy life. 

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 472 km (293 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 0