Valence to Viviers - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2024

Valence to Viviers

Blown Down the Rhone

Heart 0 Comment 0

This morning we enjoyed an excellent breakfast at our hotel, both of us talking about how much we enjoy this part of our day. It is just such a lovely time to relax. Even so we were out the door in record time leaving at 9:30 AM. 

We weren’t even the last bikes to leave the bike room!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the bridge in Valence. A safe bike lane.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Down by the riverside.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I love these barges.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd I am on one now! Hi Kathleen!
PS. thought of you today when I saw a woman and a disabled older gentleman in the same shared riders bike you do as well. He looked SO happy! Thank you for your biking kindness!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

The ride was excellent. A well marked route, lots of other bike touring folks, primarily downhill and the ever present tailwind. We spun along and enjoyed the well travelled route.  There was absolutely no drama. 

Beautiful old building. Very secure front door.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenIsn’t that funny? We didn’t notice at the time, we caught it when we were looking at photos.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
We wondered if there had been an oil spill here.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bob KoreisThought I'd see what I could find, which was nothing applicable, but the first hit in the results list was Susan Carpenter's trip from 2018 doing your day in reverse.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Laying more booms on the other side as we cross the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of infrastructure on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful bridge to cross. One of many today.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Random beautiful spot.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dog walker and these pooches were having a blast.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We met the lovely Ursula who was touring on her own, and the three of us leap frogged all day. Komoot was playing tricks on her and the CN was able to get all of us going in the right direction. 

Ursula and I having a laugh.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another bridge and this was pretty narrow with the panniers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Caruso!! Crowing his heart out at his hens.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This was a suspension bridge. Keith rode, I walked, or more like tiptoed. It was swaying in the wind and I was happy to get across.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesOoh, I just hate those. It's not the height, It's the swaying motion that gets to me. Dodie
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenI have double jeopardy. I don’t like the height and the swaying.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
And a wee trail bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretWith “post”
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago


In places the route was flat and straight and with the tailwind we were making excellent time. However, just when we would really be rocking along we would come to barriers for no apparent reason…although as I write this, it occurs to me maybe they were there to slow us down!

Fine if you weren’t carrying panniers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Clearly enough room but we weren’t going to rock through at speed. Catching a pannier on one of these could be a tour ender.
Heart 1 Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesTell me about it! I am still bruised and sore from when I caught my panniers on a post coming out of Nantes almost 3 weeks ago. Dodie
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Rod BlastYes, in France they love to put these plugs on bike lanes. They put them either to slow down the cars or to slow down the cyclers. I never got warm with them.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenThey are frustrating. Especially with a wicked tailwind 😂.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt can happen so easily. I hope the healing is coming along.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenMinimal bruising and some discomfort along shin bone and over surgical prosthesis of knee, but all in all not bad. Another week and it will be just a distant memory.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

There are always unexpected sights and interesting things to look at. 

We were charmed.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Isn’t it awesome?
Heart 3 Comment 0
These things are huge when you are up close. Four reactors.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe remember those!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Rod BlastMontélimar?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rod BlastYes! Good eye.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
How would you like to be the maintenance person who climbs this? The number of cars and buildings associated with this complex was immense.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came to the classic route barée. We once more decided to take a chance, and were once more rewarded with success. This one caused some concern though as we went for several kms with the wind until we reached the end and it wouldn’t have been a fun return trip in the other direction if we were forced to turn around.  As it turned out, there was zero construction happening, just a kilometres long line of red and white barriers. Clearly something is planned, but they haven’t started yet. 

Barriers and a gravel track on our right for kilometres.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesOr, they completed the work months ago and never took the barriers down.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
At the end and looking back. Evidently they started work yesterday. We celebrated our successful way through with lunch in a little park.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAww nuts, that means it might be really barree when we get down there in a few weeks.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenIt might be, but in France you never really know.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

We approached beautiful Rochemaure and met Ursula again here. Keith once more rode across the famous bridge while Ursula and I walked. 

It is an amazing place.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Love that foundation.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
I am not a big fan of heights or swaying bridges.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI’m not either!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
It is beautiful though.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then it was easy breezy (literally) riding the rest of the way to Viviers. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bike lane because big trucks.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived in Viviers at 3 PM and what a spot it is. It is an ancient walled town that dates from 475 if the tourist literature is accurate and is truly remarkable.  Most of the days elevation probably came hiking to our Chambre d’Hôte. The CN was getting a bit frustrated trying to find it but eventually we had success. 

First glimpse of Viviers from across the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These alleys were steep, steep, steep.
Heart 7 Comment 0
We actually carried the bikes up these stairs after I sat on them for awhile as Keith wandered around unimpeded.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our Chambre d’Hôte. Note the not extensive signage.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Interior of the Cathedral.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
From a lookout adjacent to the Cathedral.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another from the lookout.
Heart 7 Comment 0
One more.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Viviers is truly unique.
Heart 3 Comment 0


Our chambre d’hôte is also unique. There is nothing that even approaches square or level anywhere in this building. The decor is eclectic and the view from the window gives me vertigo. In short, it is great. 

Our room. I cannot begin to think how to describe how crooked everything is. It is such a privilege to be in such an ancient building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down from our window. It is a long way down.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 654 km (406 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jacquie GaudetOn my first trip to Europe, travelling with backpack and rail pass after finishing university, I visited Dinkesbuhl in Germany, where I read or was told that nothing was straight, everything was deliberately crooked, because things that were straight were "the work of the Devil". Having graduated in Civil Engineering, I think that was the excuse of mediaeval builders who hadn't constructed proper foundations.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenYou could be right! I can’t imagine the nightmare of renovating, especially laying tile.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a wonderful day!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago