Uzès to Arles - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2024

Uzès to Arles

Crossed a Bridge. Looked Overbuilt to Us.

Heart 0 Comment 0

What a day!  Absolutely full of great views, a few surprises and wonderful people. Also a bridge, picturesque villages and clouds of bugs, just to keep things interesting. 

After our usual multi cappuccino breakfast we were routed onto the busy ‘one road out of town’, but only for a very short while, which was certainly a blessing. 

Big trucks along here too, and this is what pretends to be a sidewalk. Pedestrians and cyclists are so vulnerable.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was cool this morning, and after yesterday when we were both peeling layers after ten minutes, we both had fewer layers on. It also started spitting rain (the meteorologists had that wrong too) but only for a few minutes. So we kept our speed up to warm up and it worked just fine. Once off the busy road, we were on the Pont d’Arc greenway. 

This was simply great.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretAt least the gate barriers are far enough apart you don’t have to “switchback” with the panniers ..Correct?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenThey were brilliant. From a distance they almost look like a side to side barrier but they are far apart. The right way to encourage being careful at an intersection without slowing you down to a crawl.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Views.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Vineyards and olive trees. We saw cherries and pomegranates too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fabulous track.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then that bridge. Aqueduct actually. It has been around for centuries. We knew the greenway went close to the Pont du Gard, but imagine our surprise, our delight, our astonishment that the greenway actually went right over it.  No charge thank you very much. You are on a bike, you are welcome. I had hoped for some distant views, but there we were, marvelling at the wonder of it. 

We were so happy. We have been before but it is something one could experience again and again and never stop being astonished by.
Heart 7 Comment 1
One heck of a bike lane don’t you think?
Heart 6 Comment 0
I wonder if it occurred to the Romans they were building a tourist attraction?
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
When you think you might get a peek and you get this it is pretty amazing.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Anne MathersSuch a great surprise along the way! We went to the museum. It is so worth it to fully appreciate what went into the aqueduct’s construction. Simply mind blowing.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bikes on a bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back.
Heart 11 Comment 0

We have to say, that was definitely the highlight of the day. There were more things to come though, on this amazing greenway. 

Heading south east. The sun came out at noon. The weatherman had that right.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Karen PoretThat is rock awesome!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Beautiful shutters.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Great lawn art at one of the old railway stations, now a residence.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Been there, done that, but it is best avoided.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Brett ClassenGlad it wasn't you this time
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

As we approached Beaucaire we met a cycle tour. The tour guide attended Simon Fraser University, one of the participants was from Kelowna and two from Adelaide Australia. We had lots to talk about!  We followed them into Beaucaire, which was fun. 

How far you have come, how far to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Love, love these tunnels and the lighting.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A cycle tour meeting.
Heart 1 Comment 0
SFU grad and the Australians.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Following the group.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We said our goodbyes and found a waterfront boulangerie for lunch. Then we did a good explore of both Beaucaire and Tarascon before heading to Arles. 

This is Beaucaire. Anther atmospheric village.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We loved that balcony.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lunch view.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Tarascon.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Cathedral in Tarascon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back as we recrossed the bridge to head to Arles.
Heart 3 Comment 0

And then, the bugs. Clouds and clouds of bugs. At one point we thought we were seeing clouds of dust in a field. Nope, bugs. Tiny, not at all tasty, non biting thank goodness. We could avoid them somewhat as you could see the swarm so we slalomed down the bike route. I would have used my buff but it was buried in my pannier. We met a touring couple from Belgium and had some good laughs. They finally disappeared as we approached Arles. 

It is too bad he brushed them out of his beard before I snapped the photo. Don’t blame him though. We can both testify that they weren’t that tasty from first hand experience.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonYum yum 😋
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Patrick O'HaraHa ha. We had the same swarms this summer. Hundreds of casualties stuck to my legs covered in sunscreen!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenThat would have been attractive! The swarms were massive. You just had to laugh. We thought maybe a fall thing but obviously not.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Laughing and talking and trying to do both with our mouths shut and not breathing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Approaching Arles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cars aren’t going to get over this bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes have all the fun.
Heart 4 Comment 0

On the other side of the bridge we met a couple on Bromptons who were cruising down the river on a beautiful boat. A great conversation ensued and now Keith is going to buy a Brompton!

Their boat. No pictures of them, their adorable dog, or the Bromptons.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretOur guide in the Netherlands has a Brompton. It is his only source of transportation!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenHow cool is that!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

Then we were in beautiful Arles. We had planned two nights here, but have decided to hang around this part of the world a wee bit longer, so we may spend a third night or we may spend two nights at our next destination. All that can be discussed tomorrow. 

A first look at the city.
Heart 5 Comment 0
There is lots to see here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tomorrow’s hotel. We aren’t enamoured with tonight’s and decided it was worth the effort to make a switch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the places we cruised by reading menus.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Karen PoretI’m impressed! No ashtrays on the outside tables . Score!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenI haven’t done my annual ‘smoking in Europe’ rant yet. It is really shocking to us the prevalence and the acceptance of smoking here. It also drives us crazy. We love to eat outside and it seems inevitable that someone will sit down next to us and light up just as our food arrives.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 2 Comment 0

It has been a great day. Even the bugs were memorable!  Here is the Relive:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vXvLomQ8n1q

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 954 km (592 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Kelly IniguezI've been following your last several days with great interest. Jacinto isn't so sure about that kayak ride, but I'm all in on riding across this aqueduct! We will be heading roughly west/east and it looks like you are going north/south, but we have a little room to play and you've had some wonderful photos! Head on over to Venice and check that out for us?
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesArles, one of our favourite places. If memory serves their market days are Wednesday and Saturday. Worth checking out if you are there.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI had to check my calendar to figure out what day of the week it is. Fingers crossed you are right about Wednesdays. That would be fun.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Keith ClassenTo Kelly IniguezHi Kelly - I would take a pass on the kayak ride unless you are experienced. It was fun but the operators I think are more interested in taking your money than your safety. You have a good chance of capsizing. We did no research and had I I would have taken a pass. There are some wild videos on line. Yesterday was a great ride on the green way through the Pont du Gard and would highly recommend if you are in this area.
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Anne MathersWhat a great day, with some memorable sights. I, too, have fun memories of Arles, going back to that trip when I was 24. I was camping with a group of Norwegians, Americans and an Australian. We went on a crazy night ride through Arles on the evening their team win the National Soccer Cup. Oh my, the memories!

More recently, we were at Pont de Gard and stayed in Beaucaire and in Nimes. Loved them both. We missed a Farrell Williams concert in the Nimes Roman Arena by one day. Stayed at a B&B right next to the arena.

Enjoy Arles and all it has to offer.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenArles is wonderful and so is our hotel. Great people, great place and great fun. I would have loved to have been here at 24!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenArles is wonderful and so is our hotel. Great people, great place and great fun. I would have loved to have been here at 24!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago