Toulouse to Montauban - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2024

Toulouse to Montauban

A Fabulous Reunion

Heart 0 Comment 0


It was a very straightforward exit from Toulouse this morning. For me anyway!  I just followed the CN. He had told me it was going to be an easy exit…bike lane all the way and we popped out on the Canal de Midi. 

Our hotel. It was terrific.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A boat about to go under a Toulouse bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Karen PoretLove the CN on the boat—the dog :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Bob KoreisI know what that title mast on the foredeck is actually for, but it just feels like they are aquatic vampire hunting.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

It was a superb day. Easy, easy riding. I have my moments when I miss the mountains, but they should still be there next year. As for canal riding, this was as good as it gets. Beautiful day, paved track, car free and just a supremely wonderful ride. 

The weather was cool when we started but warmed up quickly. The Canal de Midi was paved the entire time we were on it. An excellent surface. The km clicked by quickly and we were pleased because we were on a mission to get to Montauban for a very important date. 

It was a great surface.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Heart 4 Comment 0
The famous Route Barée. One of the rare ones you can’t ignore. Signage was excellent though and we were back on track in a few short minutes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A glorious day.
Heart 9 Comment 0
A different kind of reflective moment.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Karen PoretLooks like a giant smile )
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenYou are right! I love your observations!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Looking down from a bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have no idea what they were working on here but it was a huge project.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I loved that they needed to put up no swimming and no fishing signs. It means people thought both those things would be a good idea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stopped in a small community for lunch in the sunshine. It was a cute park and a lovely spot, but back on the canal we rode about 5 minutes and came to a great little lunch spot. We were full from our picnic, but it didn’t prevent us from stopping for coffee and dessert. It was such a cool spot. 

We sat waterside.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Soaking up the sun and getting caffeinated at the same time.
Heart 5 Comment 0

There was a little bit of a head breeze for a bit. So easy for me. I just tucked myself in behind the Chief Windbreak after reminding him not to stop suddenly!  I put in the tunes and felt so happy to be doing this. 

Keith had told me we turned off the Canal de Midi for the last twenty km or so. What neither of us realized is that we would be on another equally good bike path along another canal. So today’s whole ride, with the exception of Toulouse and Montauban was car free. You have to love that. 

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
There were so many locks.
Heart 5 Comment 0
So many boats too.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then we arrived in Montauban. It is a terrific spot that has an incredible vibe. We rocked up to our hotel, a new property with a Dali theme. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretOh how timely! A neighbor has a acquired a Dalmatian dog and named him “Salvador Dali” :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

But the best part of all?  A reunion with Pierre, a long awaited reunion, and just such a happy occasion. We headed into town for wine and beer and stories. When we met Pierre in 2019 it led to one of our most memorable days of bike touring. 

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/pokingaroundeurope/annecy-to-cluses/

We met in 2019 outside of Annecy and have kept in touch. Pierre is a serious cyclist.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We thought we had a quiet spot for a post ride beverage but there was a live rap artist. He was good and reminded us of a friend’s son so we found him quite endearing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Montauban is beautiful.
Heart 2 Comment 0

What an evening we have had. A fabulous dinner, a promise from Pierre to come to Victoria, so many things to discuss and so many laughs. It is good for the soul. We are going to bed feeling so fortunate. 

In the lobby.
Heart 9 Comment 0
On the way to dinner.
Heart 7 Comment 0
We are so glad Pierre made this happen.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Montauban is quite the spot. We are really impressed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the walk back from dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have more adventures with Pierre in the morning so there is lots to look forward to. He brought his bike!

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 1,290 km (801 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 3
David MathersAnother great collection of photos 👍 Awesome to connect with Pierre again…love to see him in Victoria!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Anne MathersThe rewards of cycle touring are experiences like this. What a great day. Love the picture of you and Keith on the đź’‹ lips.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great day!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago