Toulouse - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

October 3, 2024

Toulouse

A Great Walk About Town

A very organized and carefully thought out route it was not!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat’s a lot of walking!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago


We don’t have much to report today, other than the fact that we had a great day exploring Toulouse. As Keith put it, we woke up, enjoyed our breakfast, rode two km to our new hotel (which we love) and started walking.  

Hotel Ovyo is a great place to stay. Central but quiet, modern, large room and the reception staff are terrific. So welcoming, great restaurant recommendations, great directions and fantastic secure bike storage. 

These corner buildings are great.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Karen PoretLooks like a flatiron, but..well, no..;)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
The old architecture in Toulouse is remarkable.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Across from the Capitale.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Karen PoretI wonder what that sounds like in the wind! ( metallic streamers)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenThere was a light breeze but it was quiet. Now I wonder what it would be like in the wind!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Street scene.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Basilica of St. Sernin.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It was huge.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Karen PoretWhat an interesting 3-d effect! Appears to be something of Alfred Hitchcock’s scenes!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Keith ClassenTo Karen PoretThanks Karen. I really didn’t notice that until you pointed that out. I now see a big inverted column over the altar.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Another corner building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The streets are beautiful.
Heart 3 Comment 0
St. Stephen’s Cathedral.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Garonne riverside buildings.
Heart 7 Comment 1
Karen PoretGreat photo!!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
So many bridges.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The shadows from the plane trees looked so great on these buildings.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Karen PoretFirst the wet streets and now the shadows; just great!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
We ate Japanese food at a spot recommended by the hotel. Delicious and the ceiling was super.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We were the oldest in the restaurant by decades! Brought the average age up a bit.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We walked over 23 km, and I even had a chance to shop a little bit. Not to buy, I don’t want to have to carry anything, but I had some fun looking around. No pictures of my time in Galleries Lafayette. Keith was patient, and at times interested. He found a new top tube bag for his bike. Hip hip hooray!!!  His old one was well past its best before date. 

The only other thing to say about Toulouse is that you really have to watch where you are going. The way bikes weave in and out of pedestrians is a marvel, seems to work and would have people where we are from clutching their pearls. Add in the electric scooters and motor scooters and it is quite the scene. So many young people. It was delightful but look six ways before you cross the street. 

Back on the bikes tomorrow and we are looking forward to it. 

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 1,229 km (763 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI really want to see Toulouse sometime!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Patrick O'HaraWe also noticed this type of cyclist/scooter behaviour in Frankfurt. We couldn't believe how fast and close they passed pedestrians. I was alarmed, but everyone else seemed to be fine with it.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago