St. Remy de Provence to Nimes - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2024

St. Remy de Provence to Nimes

Wide Bike Lanes in Nimes

Heart 0 Comment 0

We left St. Remy and pointed the bikes west towards Nimes. It was a flat and easy ride, the first part the voie verte to past Meynes and then we were routed onto quiet, almost deserted roads through farmland, vineyards and olive groves. It was a fine ride and we loved seeing Tarascon and Beaucaire again. 

Love the horses.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Donkeys too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Coming over the bridge to Beaucaire.
Heart 5 Comment 0
These castle walls never fail to astonish me.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another tunnel shot. This voie verte is so well done.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a great tunnel photo!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Heart 5 Comment 1
Karen PoretThis tunnel shot is better ( so to speak) because the light is apparent 🤩
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
We embraced our inner six year olds here. You can figure it out.
Heart 9 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraI take it you're both a rather gassy pair. LOL.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

We bought our sandwich at the same fabulous Boulangerie we chose on our way to St. Remy, but ate it in a square in Meynes where we met a couple from California on a supported and self guided tour on their way to Arles. We had a great chat but forgot to take a picture!

It was a pretty uneventful day. There was wind, but it wasn’t difficult to deal with. All those reeds, olives and vines helped shelter us. Then we arrived in Nimes and the widest shared bus/tram/bike lane ever. We jumped on it and only became a bit confused when it started down the middle of the road with the traffic on either side. We weren’t sure, but a local zipped by and we followed. It was great. 

Right down the middle. Single car lanes on either side of this very wide two way bus and bike lane.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Anne MathersHow creative of them! Just imagine the response if they tried this in Victoria. 🫣 I’m sure people would just drive down the bike/bus lane. 🤪
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
We came to a closed street on our way to the hotel and it was a hopping block party.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We are staying in the Odalys City Nimes Arènes. Incredibly reasonable, beautiful room, and directly across the street from the amphitheater. That sealed the deal. We are staying two nights and will explore all that Nimes has to offer and do a little planning for the last three weeks too. 

On our initial walkabout after checking in.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI sure wish we would have been able to see Nîmes in before it was dark!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith ClassenNimes is well worth a visit Rachael. If you do get here our hotel location is perfect across street from the Remès de Nimes. No problem with bikes in room. Kitchette with microwave, small fridge etc. Beatiful city for walking and exploring in the old town.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
These kids were having the best time dancing and singing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fun to watch. As soon as Keith took their picture they came running over to chat.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Nimes alligator.
Heart 7 Comment 0
On our walk back from dinner.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Kelly IniguezCould you email me? For some reason I can't pull your email up. Ugh. It's a good thing I wasn't the one on with tech support for two hours, I'd be melted into a little puddle of frustration! My sympathies.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith ClassenWeird because Kathleen was had to do the same thing last night for her phone. last night . We decided to go with separate eSIM cards from different providers.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

The only other thing of note last night was a technology glitch with Keith’s data plan on his phone. Two hours with live chat to fix it. I was  deep into settings I didn’t know existed. My live chat person was patient, I was persistent and we got it done. I like to look at these things as learning experiences. If I didn’t adopt that attitude I think I would throw the phone out the window. Once done (and feeling irrationally pleased with myself) I didn’t have the energy to journal. Instead I went to sleep!

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 1,091 km (678 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonHuh! Nimes looks very nice. We probably should have just stayed there instead of taking the train to Marseilles and back. It wasn’t really worth the detour.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith ClassenWe were initially going to give Nimes a pass but sure glad to have spent a day here. Fabulous! A very full day taking as much as we could in.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Anne MathersWe loved Nimes!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago