Schönenwerd to Moutier - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2024

Schönenwerd to Moutier

The Jura

Heart 0 Comment 0


We tried a route today that seemed little travelled according to our multiple navigation apps, but we thought might be beautiful…or might not. As it turned out we saw dozens of bikes, so we were wrong about the less travelled and it turned out to be beautiful. 

After our included hotel breakfast, which was good, we were on our way. After four days I am getting tired of scrambled eggs, spoilt person that I am. I need to remind myself I don’t have to make them and I don’t have to eat them. There were yogurts, meats, cheeses, fruit, croissants and fresh buns etc. Plenty to keep a cyclist going.  One funny note at breakfast, after hitting the beloved cappuccino button, I had a choice of milk, in German. I had concluded it meant hot or cold milk (dumb conclusion, who puts cold milk in a cappuccino) when the lovely man behind me, wondering if I was a bit slow, explained it was cow’s milk or oat milk. Good thing too or I would have had an oat milk cappuccino.  

There was some sort of a cycling team staying at the hotel last night.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We had fog this morning when we woke up. This was the view out our window.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The first part of the ride was not what I was expecting but was marvellous, if a bit noisy!  We were on a fantastic separated bike lane for about 30 km, going through rural/urban Switzerland. Sometimes it felt like a never ending strip of development, but it was always really interesting.  It was also a joy to just pedal, feeling the kilometres spin by on a beautiful day. 

Big boys on small toys by the bike lane. They were having so much fun.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Olten was more than worthy of a little explore. What a  sweet old town it had.  Since it is Saturday there was a lot going on in the huge pedestrian area. It would be a great place to stay if you ever come this way. 

A lovely covered bridge led us into the old town.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This is what it went over. The bridge itself was lined with artists and their paintings. I was preoccupied with the sunscreen running in my eyes so wasn’t the best observer of their art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
They were getting ready for an afternoon food festival.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI love towns with hanging umbrellas! We’ve seen so many on our trips.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenAren’t they cool? So festive and pretty.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Taking it all in.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

At km 26 in Oensingen we stopped for a cold drink in the shade. It is warm out today. We had just come through a section of the route where for several km we paralleled the highway and we were out pacing the cars. Hah. Got a sense of smug satisfaction out of that. I never did figure out why they were so backed up. 

The quality of the cycling infrastructure amazes me.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The cars are starting to back up here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The scenery was beautiful.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Random old stuff too.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Shortly after that we were in the valley peddling through farmland with views in every direction. We stopped for our picnic on a shady bench, entertained today by parasailing adventurers. 

You have to love this.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The signage is superb.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Karen PoretEspecially if you know what location you are looking for! Otherwise ( in my case) whiplash from trying to read it all 😬
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Karen PoretAnd sometimes the location you want isn’t on the sign because they assume you know the town after it. Even the S Bahn to the Zürich train station was like that. We were on the train to Rapperswill because that was the final stop.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith’s bike at our lunch spot.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then the climb began, a modest one. We were back on the highway with a bike lane. The traffic was low to moderate with respectful drivers. The whole ride ended up being so great. A ride in three parts in a way, first the developed part, then the bucolic part and finally up and over the bump. Moutier is a pleasant surprise. It was chosen more as a good opportunity to check out the Jura than any other reason and it turns out to be a cute spot. Certainly off the tourist path. 

Another reason to bike tour. You wouldn’t even see this in a car.
Heart 7 Comment 0
This guy was hard at work and said something funny in German…he was laughing so hard we started to laugh, so I am sure he thinks we understood! Another reason to bike tour is that kind of interaction.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Me at the top of the climb.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Moutier from a lookout.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We should have another good weather day tomorrow. Then some rain is headed our way…it doesn’t look like much rain but by Thursday it will be cool. Tonight though, we ate dinner inside as we wanted the air conditioning. 

Keith’s dessert. It was called Banana Rock and Roll. He shared (a bit).
Heart 6 Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesC'mon Keith. It really is big enough for two!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenIt was! Problem was that it disappeared so quickly. I really have to pay attention when Keith has ice cream.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat photo is deceptive. Not a big as it looks. It sure was good!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesSteve, it was huge 😂
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenNow, now children. No squabbling.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 135 km (84 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Karen PoretSo.. when you went to the *Jura did you have an espresso?
*same name as a company who manufactures coffee machines 😉
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Karen PoretI love those coffee machines! I have a girlfriend who has one and if it ever goes missing she knows where to look 😂.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago