Pont en Royans - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2024

Pont en Royans

A Hike in the Sunshine

What a wonderful day we had. We began with an even more leisurely breakfast than usual, secure in the knowledge that we were here for another day. Three cheers for rest days!

Over breakfast we discussed routing going forward and have made what we hope turn out to be good decisions. That was time well spent.  One good laugh, Keith was astonished at how cheap hotels were in Valence. Fortunately he realized he was checking hotels in South America before he booked anything. Once happy with our routing we did a wander about town, which was remarkably lively. I had thought it would be as quiet as only French towns can be on a Sunday, but this is a popular spot. 

Sunshine makes us happy and the motorcyclists too. So many ways to have fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then more exploration in this stunning part of France. We decided to hike up to the Belévèdere des 3 Cháteaux.  It was a great decision. The sun was out, the temperature was still cool, but we warmed up quickly as the 2.5 km up to the Belévèdere was steep. It started with what felt like hundreds of steps. Then on to a steep trail that was exposed in a few places. For one short stretch it was almost like climbing a ladder. There were so many butterflies which gives me some hope for the planet. When we got to the top it was magnificent. I love hiking. 

Still climbing stairs here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Great signage on the hiking trails too.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI want to hike there!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Looking down on Pont en Royans.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The views are jaw dropping.
Heart 10 Comment 5
Scott AndersonThat’s so amazing. We’ve never hiked in the Vercors. I couldn’t do it now because of my knees but Rachael would love it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Patrick O'HaraThe views aren't too shabby.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rod BlastFinally blue sky. Great view.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Scott AndersonKnees are such an issue for so many people. We are incredibly blessed that ours are okay. I thought of Rachael several times. It was such a great hike.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rod BlastThe forecast is good for the next few days. Very, very windy but a tailwind so that’s okay. Felt sorry for people going in the other direction today.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
I am heading down and around to the lookout. This was the only place on the hike with infrastructure. There was a railing for a short distance.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the top and taking it all in.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraAh...the Vercours!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenWe could have spent a week.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Look at that blue sky and a good looking guy.
Heart 7 Comment 0
So many butterflies which is good news.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltRed admiral.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/49133-Vanessa-atalanta/browse_photos?place_id=6753
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 2 Comment 3
Karen PoretThat could be the “ official butterfly of the San Francisco Giants, with that orange and black color. They need more help than a butterfly this season.😬
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenThat is hilarious. It could be a good luck charm.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a brown, possibly a wall brown.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/147298-Lasiommata-megera/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMight be a large wall brown.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/123629-Lasiommata-maera/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltThey are so variable!

Maybe a wall brown.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/147298-Lasiommata-megera
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenThat is interesting. I checked the link and you are so right, they are variable. Thanks for this!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
The blue ones were so pretty. Actually, they all were.
Heart 7 Comment 4
Scott AndersonFive different ones! I wonder what the magnet is.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenI remember our son (mountain biker) did a trip where he and his buddies were helicoptered into the Canadian wilderness and then rode their bikes back to civilization over several days. He said they were riding through clouds of butterflies. So maybe the attraction is no people!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Bill ShaneyfeltA blue. Maybe a common blue.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/55641-Polyommatus-icarus
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenNow that is a name that makes sense!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago

After that initial ascent we continued to the next peak for more views. The scenery was just fantastic.  We hiked for three hours but only managed 9 km. It was pretty slow going both up and down. We stopped at one point for a picnic lunch and it was an opportunity to reflect on our good fortune. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
We were puzzled by this as we approached it.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is a huge water vessel for fighting forest fires.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Keith thought he found a golf ball, unlikely as that would be. He is always looking.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Turned out to be a golf ball sized snail shell. We had a good laugh.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then onto the valley floor where we paralleled the river and the road for a bit. The scenery was still terrific. 

An old building on the river.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just beautiful to look down on.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bridge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Charlotte and Thomas who were out for the weekend and on their way back to Marseilles today. There would be a train involved. Such a great young couple and a delight to meet.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking up at the town.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Our hotel from below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We were back at the hotel about 4 PM, and we discussed hopping on the bikes and heading down the road for a hour or so, just to see more of this part of the world.  Truth in reporting, we had a beer and a good nap instead. That was pretty magnificent too!  Our excuse was the wind, which had piped right up, and the number of motorcycles out on a sunny Sunday. 

Beer on the outdoor terrace.
Heart 6 Comment 0

A wonderful dinner and we are ready to ride tomorrow, which also promises to be a beautiful day. Windy though, just to keep things interesting. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesSounds like a great day off bike. It wouldn't work for us though, 'cause of Dodie's knees. Too bad the area is so hilly, otherwise we would love to bike there.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Anne MathersWhat a fantastic hike you had. Wow! The scenery is stunning. Next time, we will have to check out those trails. I love that place, too. So much, I have made two quilts of it.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Anne MathersI want to see those quilts when we get home!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt is an amazing part of the world. Keith and I were talking today about how grateful we are we don’t have knee problems.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenBad knees really do suck a lot of the fun out of many places.
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a fabulous day!
Reply to this comment
3 weeks ago