Nimes - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2024

Nimes

Exploring Roman Nimes

It was a great decision to spend the day in Nimes. It is a wonderful city and we spent the day exploring all that it had to offer. We were real tourists!  It was a lot of fun. Our hotel is located directly across the street from the amphitheatre and next door to the Musée de la Romanité and the Musée des Cultures Tourines. It is a fabulous location. 

But first a near disaster in the breakfast room. The coffee machine was broken. Fortunately two people put their heads together, and after several anxious minutes they were successful and I had cappuccino in hand. Disaster averted. Phew. 

We started by visiting the Musée des Cultures Tourines. The bull fighting museum. I wasn’t that keen because I am not a fan of bull fighting (and that is an understatement) but it turned out to be a real learning experience . One of the docents took us under her wing and led us room by room telling stories. She was terrific. We understand a great deal more about the cultural significance of bull fighting, the difference between the French version and the Spanish version and even the difference between French and Spanish bulls. We also heard the sad story of Jose Tomás who died at 37 of suicide after breaking his neck in the ring. It was heartbreaking. His statue is in front of the amphitheatre. I am still not a fan of the sport, but at least I am a more educated non fan. Does that make sense?

Amazing costumes.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our wonderful storyteller.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jose Tomàs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The statue.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then we walked to the train station, and the walk itself was a treat. A beautiful wide pedestrian boulevard. It was terrific. At the station we received great information about a future train ride and were serenaded by a group of female motorcyclists. While I was getting our ducks in a row Keith met and enjoyed a conversation with a young bike packer from outside Geneva. 

Fountain in the square.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Train station at the far end of this beautiful walk.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I’m on a mission.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Alan waiting for his train.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The motorcycle group.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bob KoreisI think it was your journal (maybe The Andersons?) a few days ago with a photo of a public piano in a train station. What a wonderful thing to do.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith ClassenYes the Andersons also had a photo of the piano in the Nimes train station. The motorcycle women were having a great time.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
They were having a great time. Unrehearsed and spontaneous from what we could see. They were singing and the women at the piano accompanied.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading the other way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The palm tree and crocodile symbol of Nimes.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Next up, the amphitheatre. It was magnificent and ancient and impressive. An included audio tour on our phones was good. 

Some illustrative panels.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Seemed to romanticize the whole thing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
About halfway up. It held 20 000 people back in the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
At the top.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking down. A sand floor to absorb the blood.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fabulous views of the old city.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Down on the floor.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Next up, lunch and a walk down Rue Victor Hugo to the Maison Carrée and St. Paul Church. By this time we had both absolutely fallen in love with Nimes. It is a fantastic city. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
St. Paul’s. It had a beautiful blue ceiling.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Maison Carée.
Heart 5 Comment 0
This was so beautiful. Note the broad pedestrian street leading to it. So relaxing.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then a wander to the Jardins de la Fontaine and Temple de Diane. It really was a full day and we weren’t done yet. We fortified ourselves with gelato in the gardens and explored. 

It was a sunny Sunday and so great.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Temple de Diana. It reminded us of Angkor Wat!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fun to poke around in.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we continued our explore of the huge garden, heading up, because we kept wondering what was around the next corner. We reached the top, and it was quite a hike, to find we were at Tour Magne, the only surviving tower from the old wall. We had been able to see it all day, but hadn’t imagined going there. It looked so far away, and so high up in the hills, and it was. So of course, we had to go up to the top of it too. It was totally worth it. The views were awesome. On the way down the narrow spiral staircase the CN reminded me that my iron grip on the railing was exposing me to all kinds of germs. I proposed that it was saving me from a broken neck!  There was hand sanitizer provided at the bottom so I am healthy and my neck is fine. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It really gave us an overview of where we had been.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Anne MathersWhat a fabulous view. I remember thinking it was too far to walk there, given the time we had, so we missed out on it. Nice to see what we missed!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenWe probably wouldn’t have made it if we hadn’t fallen into that ‘what’s around the next corner’ mindset. So glad we did. It was a real overview of the city.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
The spiral staircase.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Then back down, down to the park. We met two cute boys, about 10 perhaps, who were having a good time leaping about the ruins. I asked them to take our picture and since they only spoke French it took a moment to get it across. I told them we are Canadian. They are too. We had a good laugh. Montreal, the other side of the country. 

He has a future in photography!
Heart 8 Comment 2
Anne MathersHe did a great job. Didn’t cut you off at the knees or the feet. I love this picture. Thanks, kid!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenBetter job than I can do. Such a surprise they were from Montreal, which I established in my limited French. They had not a word off English between them.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

Another wide pedestrian area drew us in and we stumbled on the market. An already stellar day just kept on going. We bought a bag of expensive candied almonds because the CN loves them. So do I. They won’t last long. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Anne MathersDrool… comtè cheese. I can only dream for now.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

Last, and much anticipated was the Musée de la Romanité. It did not disappoint. A modern building, right next to the amphitheatre and Place des Arenes and our hotel. We used the audio guide and really enjoyed it. Then these two culture vultures went back to the hotel and collapsed. 

Everything was well presented.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Imagine. These mosaics are thousands of years old.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The detail.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Anne MathersThese have been beautifully restored. Gorgeous.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Headstones.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was taller than me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such intricate work.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A cork model of the amphitheatre built in the 1800’s by Auguste Pelet, an architect and archaeologist. It was remarkable.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These waves were so realistic I tiptoed into them. I didn’t want to get my feet wet!!!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo of you!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago

I feel I have done a poor job of relating what a fantastic day it was. A day of marvels, peaceful pedestrian streets, beautiful weather. Come to Nimes!  Stay at Odaly’s City Hotel. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Rachael AndersonWhat an amazing day! I’m so glad you got the coffee machine to work.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenI was grateful to those women who worked so hard at it. It is one of my favourite pleasures in the morning, whether travelling or at home.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Eva WaltersYou’ve done an excellent job describing your lovely day in Nimes and the ride there from St. Remy, not to mention your earlier ride to Pont du Gard. Your posts have brought back fond memories of our first French cycling tour fifteen years ago when we stayed in Tarascon for five nights and did dayrides to Les Baux, St. Remy and Pont du Gard as well as spending a day in Nimes. Reading your journal makes us want to go back to that part of France. Thank you for the inspiration!
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Eva WaltersThank you! It is a wonderful part of France we are discovering. Today’s ride was very different from the last few days. Very urban, almost like the Algarve in Portugal. It was interesting in its own way.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Anne MathersType your comment here
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago