Neuchâtel to Thonon Les Bains - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2024

Neuchâtel to Thonon Les Bains

Zoom Zoom Boats and Trains

Heart 0 Comment 0


Well, we managed that in a quick hurry didn’t we?  We woke up this morning to rain, which might have been okay but there was a big head wind too. Over breakfast we considered our options. The original plan had been to bike to either Yverdons or Lausanne, but it really was miserable out there. Really miserable. The weather app says the winds were gusting to 35 kph and it was a headwind. We didn’t make a final decision until we were outside and then there wasn’t any discussion. Yuck!  I started to laugh!!  Instant decision to head to the train station was made. 

When I inquired about tickets at the train station there was a fast train, with bike spaces, in nine minutes. No problem, the relaxed woman at the desk said. Seemed a bit tight to me, but we made it with three minutes to spare. Phew. There was the usual bike and train drama. We were of course at the wrong end of the train when it came in, sprinted to the bike car, threw our bags, bikes and persons on the train and then relaxed. Getting off was much calmer. A friendly passenger to help, and the train was still in the station when we crammed ourselves into the elevator. 

Then straight downhill to the lake and the ferry. The ferry was a delight. An old boat, built in 1908 and beautifully restored. Lots of wood, and a video running in one lounge showing the restoration process. It was really a pleasure. 

The weather was not conducive to cycling.
Heart 4 Comment 6
Steve Miller/GrampiesI'll say! Good decision to take the train.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesMy “train option” in the rain today wasn’t .. however, the sprinkles were a better alternative than the downpour 15 minutes earlier..
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt wasn’t even a decision. It was pretty ugly out there! Still, we were in Switzerland, now we are in France and what was going to take us three days took a few hours. Those fast trains blow my mind.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Karen PoretI feel like it is raining everywhere…except at home hehe. The weather there is brilliant.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretTo Kathleen ClassenIt really is! As I write now, it’s pouring down rain again and that wind!

The places that “ need” the water aren’t getting enough..

Not looking forward to riding in it tomorrow, but I will never stay on the barge..
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Our incredible ferry.
Heart 6 Comment 0
It had paddle wheels and windows to watch them spin from.
Heart 5 Comment 0
At the bow.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Our arrival in Thonon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Thonon Les Bains was much warmer than Lausanne so that was lovely. Still windy and wet though. After our big 3 km and 80 m of elevation ride we checked in to our hotel and then just relaxed for a bit. We are staying at the Logis L’Arc en Ciel and are impressed with the friendly atmosphere and the fantastic bike storage.  

Looking back at the lake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our first reflective photo of the trip. Keith was returning from checking in and thought ‘OMG two Kathleens’. Just what he always wanted. Double trouble!!
Heart 3 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesUh uh, double the fun!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenYou are a sweet heart.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Front of the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Thonon is such a great town. A nice size for exploring and a huge pedestrian area. Our hotel is located two staircases and about one minute from the heart of town. We did a good walkabout and dinner reconnaissance, and back to the room. We also bought a bottle of wine so that is it for the journal tonight!  I haven’t a clue why the chief photographer didn’t take more pictures but it didn’t occur to me either. Probably the weather. 

Today's ride: 5 km (3 miles)
Total: 221 km (137 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rod BlastYou did it right! We‘ve chosen the other way around and spent a day in shitty rain and wind down to Yvonand which is close to Yverdon. We‘ll pass Thonon on Thusday on our ay frim Geneva to Evian.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonWhat awful weather! How great that you could take a train and ferry to your destination!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago