Mulhouse to Rheinfelden - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

October 13, 2024

Mulhouse to Rheinfelden

Rheinfelden and a Reunion

Heart 1 Comment 0


We woke up to much warmer temperatures although the sky was overcast. No rain in the forecast though, and after our usual indulgent breakfast, we were off, destination Rheinfelden. Keith was still dreaming of schnitzel and strudel. 

The ride out of Mulhouse was easy, and the route was well marked. We found the city very bike friendly. 

Looking out the hotel window. Trams are open on top. We had no idea!
Heart 1 Comment 0
On our way out of town.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonIsn’t it fun to round a corner and get a surprise like that arch?
Reply to this comment
1 day ago

For much of the day it was canal riding. I was reflecting as I rode that at home I would be gushing about a route like this. It was well maintained and well used on a Sunday, and it was a pleasure. 

There are such a variety of waterways on this route.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We walked up to this lookout.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Look at that sky.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our bikes waiting at the bottom.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another well done bike and pedestrian bridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Barges and locks are always interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is a slow process.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A unique bike.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Rachael AndersonWow! A dog powered bike.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago
Kelly IniguezTo Rachael AndersonThere's a couple I've seen a couple of times in Tucson, down by the Valencia underpass that circles around, on the Julian Wash path. They have a whole stable of dogs on leads that run so fast I'd be concerned about flipping a trike over. They are quite a sight.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Rachael AndersonOne of her legs was in a fibreglass boot so I wondered if this is temporary transportation. Didn’t seem like it though.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Kelly IniguezI would love to see that!
Reply to this comment
1 day ago
This surface was excellent. We preferred it to the pavement.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This ride boasted a photo expo that was remarkable. It reminded me of the National Geographic Photography Exhibit we visit at our museum each year except it was outdoors. It was really worth a look. The photos were grouped along the route. 

One of the boards that explains the exhibit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Look at the birds we found today!
Heart 1 Comment 0
These photographs were stunning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Look carefully. Another bird.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Taking flight.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
All kinds of wildlife from all over the world were represented.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at a bench along the canal and watched and listened as the rowing teams went by, practicing their technique. 

As we approached Basel there was some discussion about going into the center of town, but in the end we decided that even on a Sunday, we really didn’t want to. We both found riding in Basel nervy, until we were in the suburbs where it was fabulous. There were a few times the bike lane followed the tram tracks and once it was very narrow. I have always wondered what exactly the protocol is when a tram comes along. Get the heck out of there I suppose?  Lots of other bikes to follow, so we would have figured it out. It is the sort of thing that if you knew the rules would probably be straightforward. At any rate no trams to deal with and we were eventually back in the countryside. 

Kids kayaking on the approach to Basel.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These kayaks were a design I haven’t seen before.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Approaching the city. The biking was easy here.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The countryside after Basel was beautiful. Hills, views and small villages. We popped into one because they were having a fall festival. I love randomly coming across things like that. 

Passing through.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Alphorns.
Heart 5 Comment 0
These men and women could really play. I couldn’t help wondering where they store the things!!
Heart 6 Comment 0

Then the best part of the day. We checked into our hotel and our friend Gerhard picked us up for a happy happy reunion. We first met Gerhard and his wife Yvonne in 2014. We have kept in touch and it was good for our souls to see them again. They are no longer a couple but remain fast friends and Yvonne and her current partner joined us for a fantastic meal at a beautiful restaurant in the hills. Gerhard’s partner is in Hamburg for a family birthday and we were very sorry to miss meeting her. You can read about how we met here. 

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/bigtour2014/trains-and-bikes-again-dijon-to-rheinfelden/

Before dinner Gerhard had a surprise for us. His latest project. It is a 200 year old farmhouse that he is renovating pretty much single handed. A huge project but what a beautiful and historic piece of property. 

He is still keeping chickens.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The latest in a line of Caruso’s.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Petting a chicken. She was so soft.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The back of the house, a former shed, now enclosed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Work in progress. So many hoops Gerhard has to jump through because it is a designated historical property. He has a binder of rules.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I am so sorry we didn’t take a picture of the wood burning ceramic stove in the living room. It was a Black Forest design, old and beautiful and the size of a small car. It couldn’t be removed (that binder of regulations) but you wouldn’t have wanted to remove it anyway. It was just remarkable. 

And then dinner. It was a magical evening and reminded us again of the goodness in the world. We loved meeting Marcelo, Yvonne’s partner. We look forward to meeting Shannit (not sure of the spelling) Gerhard’s partner.  We traded stories and laughs and a delicious meal.  Keith had suites!  After dinner we went back to the farmhouse for more conversation. Gerhard’s story of getting a car stuck in the mud in the middle of nowhere in Costa Rica was one for the ages. Too long to relate here but we won’t forget it.  It was a wonderful, wonderful evening.  Our hearts  are full. 

We didn’t get to bed until midnight.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Rich FrasierGood friends are one of life's greatest treasures! Sounds like a fantastic evening.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago
Kathleen ClassenIt was, and like our evening with you and Robin last year, we will treasure the memory.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,698 km (1,054 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonI wonder if Gerhard's ceramic stove was similar to the one in Pfaffenhofen, Bavaria that I showed here. https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/october24/pfaffenhofen-to-moosburg/#56198_x1h2lxq6bw4ba89bryo5y5k319k_89919
Reply to this comment
1 day ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Suzanne GibsonIt was! His was even bigger, if you can imagine, and had an attached bench which was toasty warm. He said the stove warms the entire living area. Part of the kitchen wall was the back of it and so warm as well. It felt so cosy.
Reply to this comment
1 day ago