Here We Go Again - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2024

Here We Go Again

Almost Ready to Roll

After months of debate, dithering and staring at maps, both the online and digital variety, we are leaving tomorrow for Zurich, Switzerland. Pretty much every country in Europe was discussed over the last few months and for a long while we were leaning heavily towards Spain. However, all that dithering meant we were booking flights later than we should have been, and getting into Madrid, our preferred starting point, was getting complicated.  Zurich started to look more and more attractive. Once that was booked, we could narrow things down a bit. 

We have decided this year we will warm up by biking to Geneva, and then explore more of the gorges in France. It is the loosest of loose plans…all we have booked is our first two nights in Zurich and the final night there before our flight home. It will mean some familiar territory as well which we are really looking forward to. We are hoping to revisit the Chartreuse and the Vercors, two of our favourite places ever. At this point we  will be glad to get the stressful part behind us…getting ourselves and the bikes on the plane. Then the fun can begin. 

Bikes at North Park Cycles for their annual spa treatment. Final check with Terry.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Karen PoretMake sure your shoelace is tied! ( My snake eye sees the tip of your right foot lace dabbling over the “yellow line”) ;)
Those look like Keens..are they? Super comfortable!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The current front entry decor.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have had a terrific summer in Victoria, one of the most beautiful places in the world. We are biased of course, but it is stunning.  We have been volunteering with Cycling Without Age, a program where you take seniors for bike rides. It is such a rewarding experience. Becoming a competent Trishaw pilot was a huge learning curve (especially for me) but one day it clicked and I haven’t looked back. It is very different from riding a bicycle. There is e-assist, gears, a throttle and the steering is completely different. I felt like I was 16 again and learning to drive a standard transmission. I mention the program because if you have thought about doing this we highly recommend. It is worldwide. We have met a terrific group of people, and we feel sometimes the rewards are greater for the pilots than the passengers. It is fun and spreads a bit of happiness in the world. 

On a training run. We are a wide load while piloting these.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooKathleen I completely agree with you about the rewards of being a Cycling Without Age pilot. I have been piloting since about 2018 in Canmore. It is full of rewards that are often unexpected. I have learned a lot of local history as I take old timers around our town. It really is one of the more fulfilling and fun volunteer positions I have.
Have a great trip.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great thing to do!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
A wee two day tour to Sooke BC
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just a beautiful ride.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraThe Galloping Goose Trail!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Hornby Island shenanigans. Our two sons heading out for some mountain biking while on a family holiday. We are hoping this becomes an annual event for the six of us.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Vancouver Island really is hard to leave. The good news though is that while it is gorgeous here, we are going to have great weather on arrival too. We are excited, we are as ready as we can be at this point, and Switzerland here we come. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Karen PoretLucky you! Switzerland! I have never been there..but, I will be flying out of SFO-AMS two days after your departure. Riding into Germany..another never been, so maybe Switzerland is in the future?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesHow lucky are you? Sounds like great areas to bike around. We will be heading south on the Rhone towards Avignon/Arles at the end of September/beginning of October, and then heading west across the Mediterranean coast of France towards Narbonne. If there is any possibility of our paths crossing we would love to see you. Whatcha think? Dodie
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Karen PoretOh my goodness, Germany is going to be fabulous. We can’t wait to follow along.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesA CycleBlaze meetup, and not at the Drumroaster. What fun that would be. The chief navigator says he thinks there is a chance, but he also fears we may be ahead of you.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenWe will, as always, follow your journal closely and if we see a possible convergence we can try to coordinate it. Have a super trip!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Scott AndersonHooray! We’ve been wondering if you’d be coming over again.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rich FrasierGood to see that you’re back at it! Looking forward to following along!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Tricia GrahamI am so glad to hear you are off again and I will have something interesting to read each morning. Have a great time
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael Anderson I look forward to following your tour!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago