Chambery to Voiron - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2024

Chambery to Voiron

A Little Bit of Everything Today

Heart 0 Comment 1
Pierre EhingerHello Kathleen & Keith 🤗
Nice to follow your adventures.
The road to "Les Échelles" and "Voiron" is not so cool (steep hills gravel 😝) , but you are such two good warriors that nothing can frighten you, 👍.
I see that the lemon pie heeled your muscles pains 😂.
Excited to read you forward.
Regards
Reply to this comment
1 month ago


We started our day checking the weather. The forecast was for dry but cool. Meteorology predictions in mountains aren’t always accurate though, and today was proof of that. 

When we left Chambery at 9:45 AM it was a chilly 10°C. We were dressed for it so it wasn’t really a problem. 

This fountain as we left Chambery was eye catching.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We were climbing immediately on a D Road with more traffic than we anticipated and it was fairly steady. Some of that traffic was semi trailer trucks and I find I really need to focus when they go by.  It was a route generated by Komoot. If you take this route be ready for traffic. The scenery was beautiful though. 

Going up. It was a steady climb for about fifteen km.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful house at the side of the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Not sure which kind of biker they mean!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We followed this for a long way and it was so pretty.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cows being led to pasture.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Going through a small town Keith spotted a bakery. Purchases were made to supplement our picnic lunch. 

Just the thing for hungry cyclists.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of choice.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We choose one tart each.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rod BlastGood choice!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Great bike shot by the chief photographer.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our tarts, ready for the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Shortly after this the CN routed us off the D Road for a bit and it was wonderful. We stopped at a bench for a snack and the sun came out. We were both so delightfully warm until it disappeared again and then we were both feeling the cold. It was time to get moving. Of course that is when the descent and the rain began and we hadn’t gone far before we were adding more layers. 

Heart 3 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraLove this region. Beautiful.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Look at that sky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Geared up and ready to continue. We both even had our full finger gloves on.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Barry BartlettWe are enjoying reading your journal. We love your positive attitude. I see that Keith is wearing an Arcteryx rain jacket. What model is the jacket and has it been a good purchase? We both have Showers Pass Refuge jackets. I find that my jacket doesn't shed the water like it used to. What brand is your jacket, Kathleen? We leave October 19 for three months in Japan and South Korea.
Barry and Mary Ellen Bartlett
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Keith ClassenTo Barry BartlettHi Barry - they are both Arcteryx. Expensive but worth it . I like the hig hood that you goes over the helmet which you can zip right up. Kathleen’s first one started to fray at the hood after 5 years. They replaced it free of charge. It’s my 2nd one too. I didn’t need to replace it but couldn’t resist a 50% discount and liked the color. Safe travels in Japan!.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived in the adorable little village of Les Échelles
Heart 3 Comment 0
Suddenly the rain became very dramatic. We ducked under this awning.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was the right awning. It was Restaurant Le Bouchon and we met the most lovely people and had a two hour lunch. Absolutely one of the best meals we have had in France. We blew in the door, wet and chilled and left happy, absolutely stuffed and ready to face Mother Nature again. 

The salad to start.
Heart 6 Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo start? That would do as a main for us to share! No wonder you left feeling stuffed.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesDo you sleep? Yes that salad was all we needed. It was probably the best salad I have ever had. We often share a main course with a salad. Over indulged for sure. And we never stop for lunch under normal circumstances.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith ClassenDodie wakes up frequently in the night and it is usually her that picks up and answers comments before they get lost in the shuffle. We tend to eat like your "usual" pattern also, which is why the salad quantity really struck Dodie.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The main course. We forgot to take a picture of dessert.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Chartreuse as a final delicious end to the meal.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rod BlastHehe! Cheers
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
David helping keep the bikes dry from the deluge. I couldn’t believe how hard it was raining and for how long.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Should you ever happen to be in the neighborhood.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Les cochons.
Heart 2 Comment 0
What a great meal and experience this was.
Heart 8 Comment 0
The exterior.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We didn’t leave until just before 3 PM, and then headed straight to the campground of David’s friend Mary to check out the cabins on the property. However, improbably, the weather had improved considerably and we decided to continue to Voiron. The Chartreuse was gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. The weather was mercurial, but the route was now quiet and low traffic and there was only one more brief downpour. 

Heart 9 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat an amazing looking sky!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
For quite a distance we were on a marked bike route. Not paved but a great surface.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
On the bike route.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
More rain on the way.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sheltering under trees waiting out the cloudburst and booking a room.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We carried on and descended into Voiron, only to climb back up to the hotel. We didn’t take as many pictures as we should have…but take our word for it, this is a stunningly beautiful part of France. 

Komoot routed us on to this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Gravel riding again. French gravel is really not that much fun.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Rod BlastOh shit! Don‘t like this either
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesFrench gravel? More like small rocks.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 6 Comment 1
Scott AndersonWow. What a day for dramatic sky shots!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
We did have brief moments when the sun came out.
Heart 5 Comment 0
But mostly we had dramatic skies like this.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenKeith has an eye for photography I think. Aren’t the skies amazing? Sunshine today but still cool.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Coming in to Voiron. A skinny house.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cathedral in Voiron.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We are headed to the Vercors tomorrow and really looking forward to it.  Today was a pretty dramatic day in terms of scenery and weather. We are hoping for a little less weather drama tomorrow!

Oh, and those tarts?  We were so full from lunch,  dinner was a lemon tart at 9 PM. We have a raspberry tart to look forward to tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 410 km (255 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rod BlastBad weather you had. We were pretty lucky today.

How are the bike paths on your route. Can you follow just one a day? Are they easy to follow?
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith ClassenThe bike path today along a canal was very good. It was nice to get routed off the busy highway. We just followed the Komoot generated route for the most part. We took a few side roads when we could. The Komoot view on the screen as we ride is excellent so you can pick your opportunities as they arise. Hope that answers your questions. Safe travels!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago