Cahors to Rocamadour - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2024

Cahors to Rocamadour

A beautiful Birthday Ride

Heart 0 Comment 0


It was an amazing day. This is a beautiful part of the world for sure. This may not be a long post though!  We arrived late in Rocamadour after firmly promising ourselves we would get an earlier start. Let’s cut to the chase, we did not manage it!  

We were out the door, and immediately headed in the wrong direction to see the famous bridge in Cahors, which I have now forgotten the name of. While Keith was busy photographing the railway bridge, which was lovely, I breezed by hollering “wrong bridge” which he didn’t hear, resulting in one of our hilarious standoffs where he is gesturing firmly I should come his way, and I was gesturing firmly he should come my way from about 100 m apart. Any one watching us would burst into laughter. But it is my birthday, so he had to give in and we finally arrived at the right bridge. These things take time though, and that is my excuse for the late departure. 

From the terrace at the hotel.
Heart 8 Comment 1
A view of one not famous but very nice bridge from the terrace.
Heart 9 Comment 0
The wrong bridge.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The right bridge.
Heart 11 Comment 0
And back to the first bridge this time on the bikes.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Lovely views of Cahors as we left.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another look.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Shortly after leaving Cahors we discovered a new bike path that was being created but wasn’t completed. We decided to give it a try anyway, and for several km it was awesome. However, our tires were gradually picking up more and more mud, and then we arrived at the machinery that was compacting the bike path next to the former rail line and we were stuck. In my case literally, as somehow I had acquired some large rocks embedded in the mud under my fender. Next we were pushing and I was more like dragging, as we tried to figure out a way back to the road. Fortunately that only lasted about 600 m before we escaped, and over the next twenty or so minutes of riding through every puddle I could see, the rocks dislodged. 

Doesn’t this look great? And it will be, in the very near future. It rained overnight though, and it was much muddier than it looked.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then we reached the end of the compacted section and it was time to push.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Which gave the chief photographer time to appreciate the moss in the surrounding foliage.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back on the road the ride was terrific, right from the start. Low to absolutely no traffic, great surfaces and great views. It was a very up and down day, ending with 1160 m of climbing, so the 70 km took some time. Our first real climb resulted in valley views, an almost balcony type road, and a car rally where everyone was stopped close to the top of the climb, and they all unrolled their windows to call ‘allez allez’ or ‘bravo’ which was greatly appreciated. 

Reminded me a bit of Col de la Machine
Heart 7 Comment 0
Looking back.
Heart 8 Comment 0
The views were tremendous.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
On the descent this little guy was having a blast on his go kart in the family driveway.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Once on the valley floor we had a 20 km stretch that was all uphill, but at rail trail grades, and went through some very picturesque villages. There were virtually no cars. We stopped for lunch in one tiny spot and mused to ourselves about who lived there. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 2
Karen PoretHey! It’s the Birthday Girl :)
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Karen PoretAnd feeling younger than she looks 😂. She beats looking younger than you feel!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0

The road kicked up more seriously, the sun was shining and I was so hot. I had my bike shorts on over my tights and I decided the tights had to go. So at the side of the D road I started to strip. I even had to take my shoes off. Keith couldn’t believe I was folding and putting away my tights in my knickers before putting my bike shorts back on, but there was so little traffic I wasn’t concerned. 

The only witness to my change of outfit and he or she seemed completely fine with it.
Heart 5 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat, no photo to document the event? And you weren't even in your Birthday Suit.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like a common wall lizard.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/55990-Podarcis-muralis/browse_photos?place_id=6753

----->Bill
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI was very close to my birthday suit 😂.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Bill ShaneyfeltThey are an invasive species on Vancouver Island. Five years ago I had never seen one in our yard, now it is a surprise if I don’t. We even had one in our house once. I trapped him under a glass and escorted him out! They are cute, but do have startle value when gardening. I have an excellent startle reflex and have jumped more than once 😂.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

It continued to be an up and down day and we loved it. At one point we hit a hill that was very short but very steep. We both ended up pushing. That doesn’t happen very often but when you can’t turn the pedals anymore, what can you do?  It gave me the giggles because I told Keith I only had to hike a bike because he stopped right in front of me and that destroyed my momentum. Not true. Shortly after that there was another similar hill, but not quite as steep. We both made it to the top and there was an open café. We couldn’t believe it. Hallelujah!

There was also some kind of flea market going on but we went straight to the wine.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We met the lovely Justine, tasted a wee bit of wine and headed back to the café.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There we met these women who are on a week long hiking expedition. Lots of things to talk about.
Heart 2 Comment 0

So the final push to Rocamadour began and it was as great as the rest of the ride. A joke with us when we are riding these tiny back roads and the surface is incredible is that the Tour must have been through. Well, when I rode over Tom Pidcock’s name I nearly swooned. Then there was Wout Wout Wout, Cav, Yates and many more. I can’t explain how exciting this was for me. Imagine if I actually ever make it to see a day of the Tour in real life if I get this excited about riding the same road. 

Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesLots of lambs to see in about 5 months.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesAwwwww. I never thought of that.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraWe watched a stage in St. Girons in 2018. The caravan came by first with all its circus-like excitement. Then, the lead group and peloton flew by at 50kms an hour. I stood there with my mouth open agog at the speeds. Then, it was all over.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenThat made me laugh. Keith and I train for our bike tours by spending 6 hours a day in July lying on the couch watching the Tour. We are addicted!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago

Around a curve and there was Rocamadour. What a mind blowing sight. We are here for two nights. When I realized we had done 70 km I felt like I should retrieve my bike from the garage and do two more so that I had ridden my age but didn’t really seriously consider it. Instead, Keith has taken me out for a delicious birthday dinner and I am feeling very blessed. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
What a spot. It really is amazing.
Heart 11 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
View of the terrace next to the room.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leg of lamb for me.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This was the best dessert ever. Apples, flaky pastry, whipped cream, gelato. I was already digging in when Keith took the picture.
Heart 5 Comment 0

What a memorable birthday. I won’t ever forget it. 

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,431 km (889 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 24
Steve Miller/GrampiesWelcome to your 8th decade kiddo.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat a fabulous beautiful ride! Happy birthday!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kelly IniguezCelebrating in style! Birthday knickers and all!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Bill ShaneyfeltHappy Birthday!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
David MathersAnother great collection of photos and a birthday too! It’s fun to see the racers names painted on the road and know you are riding the route too👍
Glad you had memorable birthday 🎂 Cheers 🥂
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jacquie GaudetHappy Birthday, Kathleen! A fantastic way to spend it!

It’s nice to ride TdF routes after the race has been through, rather than before while the resurfacing is in progress (as happened to us this year).
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Mike AylingMany happy returns Kathleen.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Betsy EvansWhat a fabulous day. Happy Birthday!!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Anne MathersHappy Birthday, Kathleen. What a fabulous way to spend your birthday, with over 1000m of climbing. You did it up right, kiddo!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHeck that was two years ago!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Anne MathersWe felt so good too. I said to Keith, imagine without the bags. We will do some of that today.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Betsy EvansThank you so much.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Jacquie GaudetI wonder who finances the resurfacing? The Tour, the area, the town? It would be interesting to know.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Mike AylingThanks Mike. I feel like it is getting to be a pretty big number!!!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo David MathersI will never forget this one.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Kelly IniguezI forgot to mention the horsefly who was trying to ruin the party while I was stripping at the side of the road. He had me dancing around on my birthday!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Bill ShaneyfeltIt is a big number. We both feel so fortunate to still feel so good.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Suzanne GibsonThank you. It was an unforgettable birthday.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Rachael AndersonHappy birthday, super woman! What a beautiful but tough ride.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Susan CarpenterHappy Birthday Kathleen! And what a memorable way to celebrate -you certainly didn't need another 2km to prove you rock. The ride brought back great memories of cycling through one of my favorite regions of France
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Kelly IniguezTo Kathleen ClassenMaybe it was his birthday also, and he thought your tender unexposed meat was his birthday gift!
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Kathleen ClassenYou've got me wondering now too! Not a huge budget, I suspect, as the western approach to Col de Peyresourde was being patched with chipseal this spring, rather than hot-mix asphalt. It might have been different if this were to be a descent for the Tour rather than a climb.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kathleen ClassenMisread the numbers in your text above. Still wishing you a very happy one, and a retroactive welcome to your 8th decade.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Angela NaefHappy Birthday! What a wonderful birthday ride! I love following your journal, thank you for taking the time to share your adventures.
Reply to this comment
1 week ago