Brive to Lyon - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2024

Brive to Lyon

A Huge Leap by Train

We set three alarms last night, two phones and one watch. We still didn’t  sleep well but the advantage to that was being up a little earlier than needed and a very well organized exit from our hotel. Out the hotel room door, down the dedicated elevator to the parking garage, press the white button, open the garage doors and we were on our way, lights flashing. It was absolutely seamless. I have always enjoyed night riding because there is less traffic and it is so quiet. Early morning traffic is the same…I just don’t do it very often!  We saw one car on our short ride. 

The train station was easy as well. We knew exactly where the elevators were from last nights recognizance. There was also a fluent English speaking attendant and she went out of her way to be helpful. The train itself was one of those old annoying ones with three steps and narrow doors, but we have played that game before. We were aboard and promptly had a little nap. it was 2 hours and 50 minutes to our connection in Vierzon. 

Bicycles off their hooks and bags by the door.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In the train station. Tourmalet next year on Bromptons?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraForeshadowing?
Reply to this comment
4 days ago

We reversed the procedure, throwing ourselves and bags off the train efficiently if not necessarily gracefully. That is when we met Fanny, originally from Montreal, and now living in Lyon. She was on a Brompton and Keith told her we are buying two when we get home. He means it. We’ll see. Fanny has a dream job from our perspective. She travels to communities helping to develop safer cycling paths. She kindly took two Canadian tourists under her wing and that made the connection easy breezy. A bonus, the train to Lyon was roll on roll off. There was one other bike tourer on the train. 

Bikes waiting for their train.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fanny and I and her beautiful Brompton.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Final train boarded and bikes sorted.
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was no drama at all, which is highly unusual in bike and train travel in our experience. Fanny had me laughing explaining all the different nuances of train travel in France. Good thing she was such a great tutor because we have decided to do it all again tomorrow. More on that in a bit. 

My tutorial from a great instructor.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fanny waving goodbye as she rode down the ramp, posters in the cardboard box. She stopped at the bottom to explain that riding in the train station is strictly forbidden, and this was a first for her and there wouldn’t be a repeat, and nor were we to do it. It made for a great photo opportunity though.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Into Lyon we rode, a big 2 km to our hotel. Then we collapsed for a bit before we went out and explored. We have been to Lyon and done the historical sights in the past, so this time we just wandered, had a beer riverside and enjoyed this beautiful place. 

The cathedral on the hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across the river.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The pedestrianized shopping district.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The juxtaposition of the old and new here is striking.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is a beautiful city.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our riverside view while drinking beer and watching the world go by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dramatic skies.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then a bonus. The biggest and brightest rainbow imaginable.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Karen PoretIt doesn’t seem “real”, but it’s just beautiful, and how timely with Aurora Borealis here in USA tonight!
Reply to this comment
5 days ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great photo!
Reply to this comment
5 days ago
It was beautiful and showcased all the gorgeous buildings.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 0
Bright boats and a shiny building on the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have been out for dinner at a casual little spot that we loved.  It was plastered in old French posters. We should have taken a picture.  While there we figured out (more or less) the last week of the trip. We have decided to brave SNCF one more time so we can put ourselves in a position to bike into Zurich. It is so much more satisfying to end a bike tour on a bike than on a train!  So another train day and then back to the usual programming. 

Today's ride: 2 km (1 miles)
Total: 1,571 km (976 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 3
David MathersWay to go! It’s so great when it works…enjoy your return ride to Zurich. See you soon 👍
Reply to this comment
5 days ago
Kathleen ClassenAnd hopefully will work today. Lyon Part Dieu Station is massive!
Reply to this comment
5 days ago
Rachael AndersonI’m glad it went so smoothly with the train!
Reply to this comment
5 days ago