Arles to St. Remy de Provence - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2024

Arles to St. Remy de Provence

Oh Those Romans

Heart 0 Comment 0


We loved Arles, and we loved our hotel. Tonight we are in a lovely property, but I swear our bathroom at the Hotel du Forum was bigger than our room tonight. We will keep a tidy ship in our wee jewel box of a room and we will be just fine. We miss those red velvet chairs though!  

This room was spacious.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The café across the street from the hotel as painted by Van Gogh. Do you see the reflective image?
Heart 4 Comment 0

We enjoyed a sumptuous breakfast and headed out. It was a no drama exit from town. We spotted a bike shop and borrowed their pump for a little top up. Then onto roads so quiet they really felt like bike lanes. 

Frédéric Mistral. No relation to the wind.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were on a famous square in Arles.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Van Gogh Café in the painting. The café wasn’t yellow when Van Gogh painted it, but it has been painted yellow. Good marketing!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bikes waiting for the photographer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look what is coming up.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Goodbye to the amphitheatre. Viking Cruises is already there. They were in the square too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Typical of the ride and the traffic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Olive trees in a sea of yellow.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rolled appreciating the scenery. The CN routed us onto a very quiet road, and there were the Aquaducts Romains, or the ruins of them anyway. The benefit of little research is stumbling on this stuff and being blown away. It was fascinating, and so interesting and there are a million pictures. What a spot. 

What a place. There was hardly anyone there.
Heart 6 Comment 0
We hiked the whole thing. Keith took his bike. I abandoned mine.
Heart 6 Comment 0
A group of hikers came through and disappeared down the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Then it was just four of us.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
The sky and the ancient construction.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The hikers went through this gap and poof, they were gone.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Keith scrambled up for a better picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The other couple took our picture and we returned the favour.
Heart 6 Comment 0
An olive grove right next door.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Well that part of the day alone would have been enough to make it a banner day. We rolled into Maussane-les-Alpilles and I met a Parisian who has left the city for the village and is so happy. Loves the pace of life. A lovely encounter. I was waiting for Keith and she wondered if I needed directions. People are so kind. We stopped for lunch in the square and people watched. 

It is a prosperous looking town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lunch time views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fountain in the square.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A great spot for people watching.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then more great riding, and the unexpected sighting of the bike tour we met going in to Beaucaire. They were on a nice descent just as we reached the turn for the climb to Les Baux de Provence so there was much smiling and waving but no stopping. 

Going down.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Going up.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Amazing scenery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Les Baux de Provence was on our radar. It was first mentioned in 960 AD. The whole place was a feast for the eyes. The lower part of town was the usual tourist shops, and the CN immediately found ice cream, but the thousand year old castle was definitely the star of the show. 

The ice cream shop warranted a stop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The typical narrow alleys and stone buildings.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This thing hurled projectiles. It took a half hour for one volley and 60 men to move.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Kelly IniguezA trebuchet. My son's high school physics class had to build them and plot the landing of their projectiles, based on the weight of the item. Luis and his partner spent a great deal of time playing (ahem, experimenting) with theirs. They were like a couple of kids in a sandbox, except not.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Looking down at the valley.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The people up top give you an idea of the scale.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Built into the rock.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The views of the surrounding area were beautiful.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down at the commercial area.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cloud cover was gorgeous and appreciated. It got up to 26°C today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Interior detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Troglodyte homes were in the lower part of the castle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
One last picture of the view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Back where the people are.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped for a cold drink in rhe café above this one. Stellar views from the terrace.
Heart 2 Comment 0
But this view down below was pretty precious too.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots and lots of bikes. Once more the vast majority are e-bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0



There was a little excitement as we left Les Baux. A French military jet came in low, turned on his side in salute as he roared over, and left everyone, first stunned (and happy to be alive) and then laughing. It was quite the display of power and you didn’t hear him coming.  There is that  roar and a moment of not knowing what the heck is going on, and then the realization. The sound was deafening. No time for pictures of that excitement. We loved it and I am sure the pilot was having a good laugh. Man, it was impressive. 

The scenery didn’t quit after we left Les Baux either. It was a beautiful ride all the way into St. Remy. Our hotel, Mas Saint Joseph is a five to ten minute walk into town, so we did a quick explore before we checked in. We are planning a day ride tomorrow, but we’ll see. We may just decide to wander the town. 

The beard is getting more full by the day.
Heart 5 Comment 0
It was a great ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heading down into the valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

France continues to enchant with all the history, the beauty, the diversity, the food!  Today was one incredible day. 

Today's ride: 41 km (25 miles)
Total: 997 km (619 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezEach day is getting better than the last! Could you please add a map today, for those of us who hope to follow?
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Anne MathersWhat a fabulous day. You just keep finding those gems that feed our dreams.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith ClassenTo Kelly IniguezOops! It’s hard to get good help! Map coming.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a spectacular day! I want to do that hike.
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago