Annecy to Chambery - Poking Around Europe 9.0 - Switzerland and France - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2024

Annecy to Chambery

Explosions and Detours

Heart 0 Comment 0


What a day!  In a very good way.  This morning over multiple cappuccinos we discussed our game plan. Rain was in the forecast, starting mid afternoon and tomorrow and Friday are promising to be cool but dry. Then the weather around here improves, if the meteorologists are correct. 

We decided to carry on to Chambery. A nice distance to go, a bail out point at Aix Les Bains if the weather took a bad turn, and a new route for us. In 2019 we did Col de Semnoz, which was super, but not in the cards in this weather. We also wanted to explore more of the area. So we took a flatter route, with only 516 m of climbing. We went through the Parc Naturel Régional du Massif des Bauges. It was a great ride. 

We gave Old Annecy a good look before we left town. It is such a beautiful place. A stunning setting and a lovely old center. 

Annecy is touristy but there is a reason. It is a beautiful spot.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI really love Annecy! We were lucky to be there before summer so it wasn’t very busy.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
The sky over the lake this morning.
Heart 3 Comment 0
That’s a tour group on the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
The most photographed spot in the city, I am pretty sure.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Once on our way, on a separated bike lane, we stopped to look at a war memorial. That is when we heard what sounded like an explosion. We wondered if there was a controlled landslide across the valley as it sounded similar to avalanche blasting at home. Then came the next explosion, followed by gunfire, and then we were pretty sure machine gun fire.  it went on and on.  It was really puzzling and a bit alarming until a jogger explained it was the French Army doing training exercises. Well alright then!

Another touching memorial.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A bike lane done well. Bikes to the left, pedestrians to the right.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at Annecy.
Heart 2 Comment 0


Once in the countryside the ride was great. We were on quiet D Roads and while it was cloudy we stayed dry until early afternoon. 

We went through numerous small and charming villages.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The scenery was great despite the weather.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We could see the rain approaching.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then came the dreaded Route Barée. We had a brief discussion, very brief, because the detour was a long one. The closed road was downhill, which always makes ignoring the signs a bit risky but we went for it. Just as Keith was on his way and out of hailing distance I noticed the sign saying the bridge was closed to cars, bikes and pedestrians. Uh oh. We hadn’t realized there was a bridge. Downward we sailed. 

Is it really impassable or can we ignore?
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rod BlastWe saw this as well a few times but were always lucky to get through.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenWe have only been stopped once, and it was a bridge in Spain. It really was impassable…and meant a 30 km longer day than planned! Our destination was right across the river. We could see smell the beer waiting for us, but we still had a ways to go to get there. We laugh about it now.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago

Luckily for us this turned into the highlight of the day. We got to the bridge and it looked very safe but was also very securely barricaded. Serendipitously there was a hotel and restaurant right there, and we discovered we were at the Gorges de Chéran. I rang the bell and asked if the bridge was safe and a young man laughed and assured me it most definitely was. The adventure began. 

The bridge.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Off came the bags and I hopped to the other side to receive the bikes.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Great teamwork by K2.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
The gorge was stunning, and of course we had it all to ourselves. It is hard to see in the picture how deep it was.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 3
Kathleen ClassenIt was amazing. Another classic case of the pictures don’t do it justice.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Karen PoretI wouldn’t dare look down. High five for you!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Looking back at the hotel and restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You wonder why it was still closed. They had clearly resurfaced it. Waiting for a second coat of asphalt? Just hadn’t gotten around to removing the barricades is my guess.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We spent a bit of time here enjoying the scenery and feeling very lucky.
Heart 3 Comment 0
At the other end, now practiced at barrier hopping and bike hoisting.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Very shortly after this the grand descent started. One of those magical descents that is just perfect. Not so steep that you are constantly braking, not so flat that you have to peddle. It went on and on for km. We made good time on this portion of the ride. No pictures though!

We were in Aix Les Bains in no time and by now it was lightly raining. We remembered a charming restaurant at the end of Lac du Bourget where we had sheltered from an electrical storm last time we were here. In we went for a delicious hot lunch, and for me a coffee. I was looking forward to wrapping my hands around that big warm mug when the server brought me my tablespoon of espresso 😂. 

Lac du Bourget.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There is a dedicated cycleway all along the lake, and even on such a grey day as today it was well used.
Heart 10 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our view from the lunch restaurant.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was a straightforward ride on a voie verte all the way into Chambery. We cleaned up, threw on the Goretex and went on an explore and out for dinner. I made a happy purchase. I had an Opinal knife I bought in 2019 with bikes climbing a mountain carved on it. It came home with us, but somewhere, somehow it was lost. I found another one here in Chambery and am I ever pleased. 


A nice easy way to end the ride. I told the receptionist at the hotel how much we enjoyed it and she said it was her childhood route, biking to the lake and back.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It was so well marked. Every 100 m on the ground and signage like this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Isn’t it great?
Heart 10 Comment 0

Chambery has a real charm and an enormous pedestrian area. It was super in the rain and must be phenomenal on a warm summer day. 

We just wandered, tacky tourist map in hand.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat looks like a lot of rain!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
There were several narrow alleys like this to explore.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The famous elephant fountain.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Yum!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Castle of the Dukes of Savoy.
Heart 3 Comment 0

And so to bed, feeling very grateful we can do this. 

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 360 km (224 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 14
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Rod BlastNothing can stop you, haha, great. Not even a barred bridge or road. Well done!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Kathleen ClassenIt is so much fun isn’t it? You never know what you will encounter.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Rachael AndersonHow great that you could cross the bridge and even better that there was someone there to assure you!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Pierre EhingerHello Kathleen & Keith, this Pierre Ehinger (Charly as pseudo).
Nice to follow your ride,and the "non authorized bridge 😂😂" story.
Thanks for all those nice pictures and detailed comments of my beloved country.
Looking for the next one 😋😋
Regards
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Brett ClassenI'm commenting for proof that I am in fact reading this!
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith ClassenTo Pierre EhingerThanks for your comment Pierre. I must tell you one of our most memorable and cherished times bike touring in Europe was when we met you and your friend Pierre on your road bikes in 2019. The next day you rode out on your motorcycle to intercept us riding from Albertville to Annecy. You and Pierre generously took us out for dinner that night and then the next day you lead us up the Col de la Colombière on that most spectacular day. Here is a link to that day.

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/pokingaroundeurope/annecy-to-cluses/
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Keith ClassenTo Rachael AndersonYou are so right Rachael to get the reassurance that it would be okay to climb over the concrete barrier. It was a good thing that it wasn’t barricaded by a fence.
Reply to this comment
1 month ago