Day 2 - Lake City to La Crescent, MN - Mississippi River Trail - Minneapolis to New Orleans - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2024

Day 2 - Lake City to La Crescent, MN

Woke up to another cool morning.  Got my bike loaded and crossed the highway to the bikeway.

Early morning view of Lake Pepin
Heart 1 Comment 0


Rode about a mile to Heidi’s Haggamug Cafe and had a delicious ham and cheese omelette with hash browns.  Very friendly people, definitely a great breakfast spot.

Breakfast in Lake City
Heart 1 Comment 0

Riding along Hwy 61 with great views of the river.  The river was warmer than the outside air so got views of the fog lifting off the river.  

Heart 1 Comment 0

Stopped a a geological marker that gave some history of Lake Pepin.  One of the signs had been constructed by the National Youth Administration in 1939.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


The trail leaves the highway and takes you though Wabasha.  Very nice small town with a beautiful small park along the river.

Bridge over the Mississippi River at Wabasha
Heart 1 Comment 0
River side park in Wabasha
Heart 0 Comment 0


A bikeway takes you out of Wabasha and the next time you exit Highway 61 is at Kellogg.  Just before you exit you go over the Zumbro River.  The water level seemed low which created patterns in the river bottom.

Zumbro River
Heart 1 Comment 0


Out of Kellogg you travel on a two lane county road which takes you through rustic prairie and some farm land.  Spotted five Cranes in a field.

Heart 1 Comment 0


Eventually, you get back on Highway 61 and travel along the river with scenic bluffs.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The next time you get off the highway is north of Winona.  You travel along a road that had a sign telling you that this road is not maintained.  It was very bumpy for about 6 miles.  It takes you into Winona after you pass several grain operations filling barges.

Bridge in Winona
Heart 1 Comment 0

I biked through the town and the along a nice park at Lake Winona.

Lake Winona park
Heart 3 Comment 0

Was getting hungry and I spotted a Dairy Queen.  Had to stop for lunch.

Hot dog and Carmel shake
Heart 0 Comment 0

You eventually get back on Highway 61 and enjoys more bluffs and more views of the river.

Heart 0 Comment 0


The trails takes you through Dakota and Dresbach before you reach today’s destination of La Crescent.

The ride today was 78.8 miles, with not as many big hills to climb, so I average 15 mph.

Some random thoughts from today’s ride.  Riding on the shoulder of the highway with big trucks passing you makes you think about what could happen to you.  I’m not worried about getting hit by a vehicle.  Yesterday I was worried about the number of pickups with aluminum ladders in their beds.  I could see a ladder breaking loose and knocking me off my bike.  Today, it was all of the signs to “watch for falling rocks”.  Would it be a really big rock that would fall on me or a small rock that would cause me to fall.  But seriously, the main issue is the apples on the road from apple trees and the walnuts. 

Tomorrow, I will leave Minnesota (about 10 miles) and ride into Iowa.  Having a blast!

Today's ride: 78 miles (126 km)
Total: 162 miles (261 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathryn MortlandI am worrying for you about getting hit. Stay safe! Such a great start for you!
Reply to this comment
4 weeks ago