Day 88: Boubiers-Day 2 - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2024

Day 88: Boubiers-Day 2

When we look at a place like Ian and Clare's it conjures romantic images of life hundreds of years ago. Of course, while those images are being conjured, we also appreciate (expect, really) the hot running water, lights, and heat - things that would be lacking back then. The water, lights, and heat are of course basic 20th century things, but in a brief tour of the place this morning, I saw that really there is a lot of 21st century here. The first bit would be the solar water heater on the roof above our heads, and the next the photovoltaic panels, installed above the carport like shelter that Ian also built. The panels, when the sun shines, provides what I calculated to be about the power of three 15 amp house circuits back home. That's great. Ian also has the ability to sell power back to the grid, though the electric company apparently does not pay much for it. Just nearby, is a heated wooden swimming pool built by Ian. Interestingly the decking boards are mostly Douglas Fir, a species that I thought was unique to British Columbia, but which did come from France. The pool is heated, I think, by electric power from that roof.

The heat for the buildings comes from an innovative pellet burner. It  takes wood pellets from some huge bags and burns them as needed to heat water in a very large tank. From there the water circulates to water based radiators, such as are in our little section. The burner watches the temperature in the storage tank, and turns on, to maintain a conservative 80 degrees. In practice, Ian has found all that to be very nice, but he cooks on a woodstove and just throws a log in when his rooms need heat.. That is the same low tech solution we use at home!

The water heating panels over our heads.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The photovoltaic panels on the shelter.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This thing is burning wood pellets from the big white sack on the left, and storing heated water in the big tank on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a trick to get the pellets to flow without clogging from the big sack into the burner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The water tank is very large. It only gets heated to 80 degrees, enough for space heating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The wooden pool with wooden deck.
Heart 0 Comment 0

An interesting side note from the tour- scratched into a wall near the boiler was the inscription below. It was presumably put there by a  German war prisoner. PG would stand for "Prisonnier de Guerre".  "Amler" is most likely a German or Austrian name, with a lesser chance of its being Czech or Hungarian.

The dates 1918 1919 imply the person (Amler M) stayed here beyond the official end of the war.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Ian and I had had a whale of a time playing with Dodie's brakes, as well as removing and reinstalling her Nexus rear wheel. With the bikes cleaned, and so finely tuned, I was eager to set off for a tour of the surrounding region. Ian opened the gate, and the dogs came to see us off. It was swell.

We got probably close to the .33 km that I had in Orleans. Dodie reported that she could only get the lowest gears. We pulled over, and now that I am an "expert!" I had a look. I had a strong idea about what the problem was, but we returned through the gate and the dogs, and quickly Ian and I were lying on our backs  examining the Nexus. Yes, the gear change cable was routed on the wrong side of a little flange! We had experience now in rotating the "cassette" into position, removing and reinstalling the cable. Very quickly, the gates were back open, and dogs called out to do their farewell duty. Whew!  Ian said he was getting ready to hide behind his dog for protection, had the thing actually been buggered.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Our objective for this ride was to check out the highly rated bakery in nearby Chaumont, and to go to Gisors - to look at their church and also to visit the Intermarche there. This countryside, which is called the Vexin, is studded with little villages, that are separated by fields of rape, flax, wheat, and peas. Right now it's a quite flat (but not too flat) scene of bright green from the new crops, and yellow, from the still mostly flowering rape.

Vexin seems more of a region than a political division. It is on the border of Normandy and the Paris district, North of the Seine. You can see Gisors in the blue circle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the church at Boubiers. We passed it at a distance and will have to ask Ian for any info about it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road out of town. Most roads in this area are like this, and while there is a bit of traffic near Gisors, it is not the problematic kind.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The countryside is studded with towns and villages, and I have trouble keeping them straight, and frankly (as might be expected) they are very similar to each other, each being extremely picturesque. In the photos that follow, I will note the town if I know it.

In Liancourt St Pierre
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fancy brickwork in Liancourt
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loconville
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Eglise St Jean Baptiste, outside Chaumont
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Chaumont
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretThis may be Chaumont, but the guy says “Paris” ;)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
It will take some research to find out what this cycle route is all about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The St Jean Baptiste church viewed from Chaumont.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The famous bakery of Chaumont.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More of Chaumont
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite a fancy house!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretNote the road signs affixed to the shutters! Clever!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
On the way to Trie Chateau
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trie Chateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed under that gate, Trie Chateau
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trie Chateau, before Gisors
Heart 0 Comment 0
A main shopping street of Gisors. Gisors also features large stores on the outskirts of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another look at that street in Gisors
Heart 0 Comment 0
For a long time Gisors was a military fort. At the end of the XIth century a large mound was raised and by the XIIth century there fortifications on top. During the Hundred Years War (1337-1453) more towers were added the place became a royal residence. But by the XVIII's century the place was demilitarised.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From near the fort we could see the massive St Gervais church. Hang on, we're heading over there...
Heart 0 Comment 0
The St Gervais church is an amazingly big pile of weathered stone. It is 67 meters long. Ok, so Notre Dame in Paris is 128 meters!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's best not to cut off the top of a building, but from this close in, tilting the camera too far up would produce distortion.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Inside the church:

Heart 1 Comment 0
A little bit crazy stained glass
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really nice arches
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
More traditional, nice glass
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A side chapel, with starry blue ceiling.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretDon’t forget to blow out the candles upon exit .wink, wink. Or, are those battery operated?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Dodie especially liked the roofline along the side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
24202 Common Linnet -female
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at Boubiers, we arrived at its now familiar traffic light. Ian says the light was a final project of a former mayor. Ian thinks the objectives of the light, whatever they may have been, could have been accomplished with traffic calming flower beds, or the like. Now it is just an annoyance for the residents.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we will go exploring in another direction - south? Ian and I played with Dodie's brakes some more this evening. Ssssh, don't tell her. We also have a scheme to bleed the brake fluid...

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 4,181 km (2,596 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0