Day 84: Maisons Laffitte to Giverny - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2024

Day 84: Maisons Laffitte to Giverny

(Special Note: half of yesterday's blog disappeared in mid-sentence, probably as Dodie was doing some spelling edits overnight. Sorry! I will try to rebuild it sometime in the coming days.)

Heart 0 Comment 0

I plotted a route from Maisons Laffitte to Giverny using cycle.travel. This route planner is unique in offering an option for paved surfaces only.  This time forgot to ask for that. As a consequence we got a more interesting route, but one that we had to ultimately abandon.

The route we started with, rather than crossing the river and going around its bend on road, took off straight through the forest (Forest of St Germain). This provided the first interesting bit, because between the river and the forest had been built the Maisons Laffitte  chateau. This was built around 1640, and was designed to be suitable for receiving visits from a king. Louis XIV did for example visit. The chateau was eventually sold and resold, and was bought by a banker, Jacques Laffitte in 1809. So it was only then that the Laffitte name got attached to the former "Maisons" chateau. There were further sales, until the place was finally taken over by the state.  We don't know if it is possible to visit it now - it is under some kind of renovation and looks rather empty.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Facing the chateau is a long and rather impressive strip of grass and trees, that eventually leads to the forest. Clearly somebody is mowing the lawn, anyway.

Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretGotta “keep up with the Joneses”…;)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We got onto a path, that we see is also favoured by runners. A tree across the path held us up for a bit, but we were quite happy to cruise along at this point.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The tree
Heart 1 Comment 5
Bill ShaneyfeltCleanup aisle one! Cleanup aisle one!
:-)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltThe worst part is that this is only a small bit of the tree. It extended into your forest for 10 or 20 feet at each end.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltThat's why I carry a folding saw.

Common on bike paths around Dayton, OH after a storm, and the maintenance folks are not staffed to rapidly remove them. A few have been near a foot in diameter.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe also carry a trailer so you can stock up on winter wood while doing your bit for other path users.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Steve Miller/Grampies:-)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

As seems to always happen, things deteriorated from there, with the path narrowing, and getting rougher.

Our yellow clothes do not stand out but are more like camouflage when deep in the forest.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Still, we hung in there, because it was clear that we were on the Avenue Verte - the Paris to London greenway. So this was the second interesting part of the cycle-travel route.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Along about here Dodie remarked that it was good we had the GPS, if we were going to ass through a big forest. I joked that yes, we would not like to get lost and wander for a long time, until eaten by the sangliers (wild boars). Very shortly thereafter, Dodie announced that we were indeed lost.

You might wonder, how can people with a GPS get lost? The answer lies in the degree of zoom. Often, at some "reasonable" zoom, subtle sidetracks or hard to spot turns are just not obvious onscreen, and it can take a while to realize that one is off track. But this forest happens to be insane, with a webwork of criss crossing trails.

Some lunatic made all the white trails.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Could be this way, maybe, says Dodie.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretWell, technically speaking it IS a “fork in the road”..
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We did use the GPS to make our way to a road, though we were hemmed in by a stone wall for much of the way. We reached a break in the wall, but had to heave up bikes up a steep ledge.

We need to get up there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I lifted Dodie's bike out, but she took the panniers off my bike, so as not to press our luck with back strain in lifting my bike out.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In thos way we reached Conflans, the place where the river Oise joins the Seine. Conflans is rather famous for us for having figured in rides by David and Maun Alston, some years ago, and in our own rides, some years ago too. The Alstons, I think, went up the Oise.

Heart 2 Comment 0
The Seine at Conflans
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Oise
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of very long bulk carriers could be seen parked at Conflans.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretBulk carriers: aka Barges. — Don’t give me your steenkin’ badges.
I know it isn’t the same thing, but I couldn’t resist stating it.. ;)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

There is a McDonald's at Conflans, that we looked over at in passing. They had a sign our front advertising three bargains menus for Mondays and Tuesdays. What looks like a Big Mac, fries, and soft drink are on offer for 20 euros. That seems outrageous, about twice the U.S. price, but in some states  (like Connecticut) some much higher numbers have been seen.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued with our not necessarily paved, or marked, route, but were getting increasingly frustrated with it. 

Either way is a little rough.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, when we got to stuff like this, Avenue Verte or not, we programmed our way onto some real roads!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks, but we're going straight, out of this muck.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yeah... no.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped in a bus shelter to eat something, and were immediately aware of loud squawking from the trees opposite.  They were full of birds, that turned out to be nesting Rooks. A Rookery, no less. It wasn't possible to photograph all the nests and birds, but the shot below does show one nest and three bird. I had thought of the word "rookery" in relation to seals, but in fact the origin is with these Rooks.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Rooks' faces look weird.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They have that grey bit under the beak.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It had taken 20-25 km to leave the influence of Paris, and to return to the countryside. We had gotten so used to Paris, that it took a while to realize that we were now in a really different place. That place featured open fields of grain and rape, but also self-contained real villages, with no lurking car dealerships or box stores.

The beautiful fields
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

... and places with stone buildings, flowers, and narrow roads:

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
I really liked this one - stone building, blue shutters, and bakery!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lots of towns like this now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We still had forests, but we observed them from paved roads!
Heart 1 Comment 0

One town seemed to specialize in donkeys. That's where we found the sign below. Anyone who has travelled in France will get the pun. In France, every level train crossing has the warning "Un train peut en cacher un autre" - one train can hide another.

Heart 2 Comment 0

In Vigny, we noted this beautifully castle-like chateau:

Heart 4 Comment 0
And here is the strangely named village of Wy-Dit-Joli-Village
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are guest rooms at the Chateau of Maudetours
Heart 1 Comment 0
Is this, one the gate, decorative or aggressive?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretJust covering the bases, for safety and effect.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Approaching Giverny, we could look down at loops in the Seine. The fact that we are looking down shows that we did quite a lot of climbing on this ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
So weird, only two flowers for one of the most floral and beautiful villages we have seen in France.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After having ridden in total peace for most of the day, it was a bit jarring to run into the moderate crowds at the Monet house

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

.But the village is gorgeous, and we soon found our chambre d'hotes, Au Bon Marechal. It's a historic house, as described in the sign.  (The translation of marechal as blacksmith, though, is a new one on us. How about "forgeron"?  Any comment from our French friends?)

Heart 1 Comment 4
Karen PoretMarechal is “marshal”.

.Is it suitable for horses and bikes? ;)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretIn this context it is a farrier, one who makes shoes for and shoes horses. A critical function in a rural farming community of 100 plus years ago.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith KleinHi,
Maréchal ferrant is the term for farrier, one who trim hooves and shoes horses. Forgeron is a general blacksmith, who would make just about anything from iron like railings for balconies, tools, blades, plowshares, and blanks for horseshoes. These last could be further refined by the maréchal ferrant using a small portable forge and a small anvil. Out good friend Marie-Terese often had a maréchal ferrant come to her stable when she was showing her horses in dressage and show-jumping. Most forgerons have evolved into serrurières/metaliers who mostly do welding and installing of gates and enclosures but also have a forge for more traditional work. In an agricultural community, these people are invaluable for repairing equipment and metallic enclosures. In Gevrey établissements Babouhot performs this function. The father of the current owner was a fixture in our town, and a huge friend to us when we first came here years ago.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYes, thank you! And, the word farrier was a question in an oral exam I had years ago (which I learned later) was why I got the job! A city girl who knew what that meant was “ something”..
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Au Bon Marechal - outside the courtyard
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our spot is in this ivy covered cottage!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our cottage is in a protected courtyard. It's great for the bikes!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view from our balcony.
Heart 1 Comment 0
24200 This White Barbary Dove lives in the courtyard. We are claiming him as a bird we spotted.
Heart 0 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltI dunno... I see no spots on it.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Bill ShaneyfeltHaha, you made a funny.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Keith KleinBill beat me to it.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We dropped our stuff and went out for a quick look at the town, which right now seems to only have one basic street - Claude Monet street.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The typical lovely house style.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This place, now a restaurant, was the hotel where Monet's impressionist friends hung out.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretI doubt the man in the doorway wasn’t one of them! ;(
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Some pretty big names slept here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Which end is which?
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Monet street is lined with flowers, and the Impressionist Museum has a nice formal garden.  You almost do not have to go into Monet's place to have a calm an beautiful floral walk. Still, we are really looking forward to it. 

In the meantime we ducked in to some gift shops, like the one below with all the floral stuff.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Here, at the Impressionist Museum gift shop, Monet socks - of which I got a pair! 

Heart 2 Comment 0

Giverny has a half dozen, not very cheap, restaurants, and no grocery stores. We will have to choose wisely to avoid being too hungry tomorrow. But we have a gorgeous room in a heritage house, and we are really pleased to be in this beautiful and interesting place!

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 4,089 km (2,539 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Carolyn van HoeveHi Steve & Dodie, I believe you're arriving in Boubiers tomorrow! Say hi to Ian & Clare from us ... and our bikes waiting patiently for our return in September. Sadly you'll be stealing our glory with your 4000 km's. Ian and Clare were so impressed that we had achieved a paltry 1500 kms. This will blow them away. I enjoyed following your journey and what a great trip you had.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Carolyn van HoeveWe will assure your bikes that they are not forgotten and will be on the road again soon.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Carolyn van HoeveHaha, thank you!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago