Day 76: Villandry to Amboise - Grampies Go Valencia to Paris: Spring 2024 - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2024

Day 76: Villandry to Amboise

Heart 0 Comment 0

Just down from the Red Horse hotel is the Villandry chateau. This has been one our our favourites in the past, because of their stress on the gardens. They are of course French formal gardens, which are not favoured by some, but we like them. This time around, though, we are just snapping a photo of the chateau building in passing. 

Villandry chateau
Heart 1 Comment 0

Last night just at the turn off the cycle path into Villandry, there was a route barrée for the path ahead. Rather than explore whether the obstruction was real or not, this morning we took the road around the obstruction. That brought us up on the far end, one km down the path. As usual, we looked to see what all the fuss what about, but seeing nothing, did not invest the  time in backtracking to find if it was a pure myth or not.

Don't see any problem from this end!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came upon this Tern, which fulfilled a search we had been doing for days now. It was up by the path and not near the sand flats, as predicted. Later, we thought we had found dozens on the flats, but we were mistaken, as they turned out to be Black Headed Gulls.

24196 Common Tern
Heart 3 Comment 0

What we call "Villandry" refers mainly to the chateau, as there is not much as far as a town goes. However we did get some shots of houses in or near "Villandry".

Heart 1 Comment 0

There were also some traditionally styled boats moored by the river. It is possible to take a ride on some of them, but the outings seemed very expensive.

Heart 1 Comment 0
These boats are still being made.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is a bigger one.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's early in the season, but we have been encountering dozens of long distance cyclists on the path. I took the two below, just to remember this point, and also because they both properly were using Ortlieb bags!

Heart 1 Comment 0

At a point half way to Tours, we came to a flour mill situated on the river. I think the original of it was situated out a small bit on an island. A sign talked about the mill, and how it had been developed to a more modern one, just onshore. So, no big deal. Except that there is an uncomfortable feeling of deja vue when we come to something that we have deja vue'd, but don't quite remember. I did remember that there were some trucks in the way last time, and that we lost the path. Backtracking, we guided some other cyclists to the right way to go. This time, there were some trucks again, plus  we were distracted by a clump of cyclists, and we missed the turn again!

The mill and some cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretYour Deja vu is out of sync :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
See, the mill, and the Grampies miss again!
Heart 0 Comment 0

A we continue to plot a possible return here with grandkids, we are extra sensitive to the safety of the path. While there have been some short hairy bits, mostly we see path like that below.

Good for cycling
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came to a thing called Gloriette Park, near Tours. Whatever else this may have had, it had Rooks! Dodie has had me photographing large black birds for ages, because she is looking for a Rook. They all turn out to be crows! But here were definite Rooks, distinguished by the grey beak and grey featherless area extending into its face.

24197 Rook
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretWhere is the pawn? ;)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just before Tours there is a further lake, off the Cher river, in the Parc de la Bergeonnerie, with a sailing club on it. That's how we could see a colourful sailboat and some city type buildings behind.

Almost at Tours
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we did come to Tours itself, there was nothing like giant roads or car dealerships to contend with.  But I was still looking for  something 'great" to photograph. The two shots below are to illustrate that there were no shots. Ok, it was a city, but not so bad, really.

Tours
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Karen PoretMidas Muffler in Europe?!!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Tours
Heart 1 Comment 0
Things picked up when we came to the Hotel de Ville, which admittedly is a magnificent building.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Standing opposite the Hotel de Ville to take my photo, I was beside the Cafe l'Univers, and their sign intended to entice me to come in for a steak.  I don't think my magic word "carbonisé" would even work for this one!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Looks like a nice place, though.
Heart 1 Comment 5
Karen PoretYou know you are in Europe when there are ashtrays on tables…:(
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretOnly outside, though.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesBetween perfume and cigarette smoke, you know you are in France..This is where wearing a face mask ( with a filter) IS an asset!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretSometimes as a person, male or female, cycles by we get a whiff of perfume. Can only imagine how much scent they have on.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThis is MY situation as I have terrible hearing, so my sense of smell is extremely acute. Blessing and a curse. ;)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

Next we came to a main pedestrian street. This is the one with the big name or posh stores, but it had a major flaw. The entire street was taken up with tramway tracks, and these were real ones, in use. As a result, the people might stray off the sides, but periodically they would be swept away by trams. Not such relaxing shopping!

The long shopping street.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Karen PoretStanding unawares next to the train tracks..;(
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Watch out for the trams!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We finally took a turn, and entered what must have been the true old town. For example, here (below) was a fachwerk house, being held up by supports.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Carving detail on the house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A true old town street.
Heart 1 Comment 0

For some reason we had not been prepared to hunt down either the Cathedral or the Basilique St Martin. I guess our focus was just on passing through, to our destination of Amboise. But we could not avoid falling over one of the "other" cathedrals, the Saint-Gatien. This, as most, was under renovation, but still open. Continuing my rather lackadaisical attitude, I took a picture of the facade, went in and saw one stained glass that I liked, and seemed more intrigued by the shiny lift device, parked in the aisle.

The intricate facade
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretThe eyes ( on right) are watching you, Steve! …The other side ( left) appears to be an owl..
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
The very tall arches
Heart 0 Comment 0
One nice window,
Heart 1 Comment 0
The shiny lift device.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I came out, and since it was time, we took a bench facing the building to eat our sandwiches. This gave the opportunity to send Dodie in for a look as well. Normally we leave one person with the bikes and send one in. Since I have the camera, I am the one sent in. It's risky (for me) to send Dodie in as well, because in 100% of cases, she will emerge saying "Did you see the the (fill in the blank)".  I will always reply in the negative, and she will continue "And did you see the (fill in blank two)"? This can easily extend to quite a list of things, and I will normally resist going back in, unless it's something critical, like a Joan of Arc statue or a St. Jacques. My defence is that if I see it it will land in the blog, eating up time when I could be sleeping!

While I waited outside, two things did catch my attention.  One was a pair of fellows with very large capacity electric cargo bikes.  think these are swell, even surpassing the cargo bike culture we found in Yucatan.

Great cargo bikes
Heart 3 Comment 0

The other was a fellow on the next bench, who asked me to watch his pack while he went to the nearby washrooms. We had already established that he, like us, was returning from St Jacques Compostelle. But as he returned, walking toward me, I noticed that he walked with difficulty. I asked him if he always had that difficulty or if the Chemin St. Jacques had wrecked his legs. The answer was surprising.  He was from Belgium, and had already walked 20 km beyond Tours on the way home, when he was struck down by Lyme disease. He had just spent three weeks in hospital here, but both legs were swollen to the knee. The hospital stay had cost a lot of money (not sure why, since Belgium and France are of course both in the EU) and he was now broke and hungry. He had slept last night on the cathedral steps. He did however have a friend coming down from Belgium tomorrow to do a rescue. I dug out some cash from my belt and encouraged him to go find some food. And Dodie found some packaged baked goods .in our bag, to give him a boost right now. Interestingly this man was a fisher on the North Sea, typically catching shrimp. First North Sea Belgian shrimp fisher we have met! Given that background, we might have expected the man to speak Flemish, but he spoke to us in French. Maybe he knew both.

The Belgian fisher displays his extensively filled out Camino creantial.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonWhat an amazing story!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We were already on the correct side of the Loire for Amboise, and so did not have to cross. But there is always a chance to find a medievsl bridge to photograph. Opposite the Saint Symphorien passerelle, there was a sign setting out the chances of find a medieval bridge here. The answer was that we were too late, the bridge having been closed in 1784. The replacement, the Wilson Bridge was opened shortly thereafter, says the sign reproduced below. But the Wilson was already behind us, so all we have is the rather lame passerelle. It was built in 1847, but has had some destruction and reconstruction since.

St Symphorien bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is the Tours chateau. I must be spoiled, because it looks rather small to me!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nearby, a gauge stick shows the height of river floods in recent history. The worst (top of stick) was in 1856.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Let's keep moving!
Heart 0 Comment 0

By the river we found some quite extensive plantings of vines. They were being fertilised with some heavy machinery. One unit was spraying solid pellets, while another was carrying the backup material.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The backup supplies
Heart 1 Comment 0
There were also several of these giant fans, no doubt to ward off frost.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Someone had decorated a fence with coffee pots. Quite a sophisticated collection!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Coffee pot sample.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Karen PoretI’ll have a latte, please :)
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretThen you will get a coffee with milk. They don't have the same names for it here.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesOops! Forgot that “ french thing”🫣
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
and how about this cute little house!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The path continued like this, beside the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We came across a noisy and large colony of what we hoped were terns, on a sandbank - where terns are said to nest. But closer inspection revealed these to be Black Headed Gulls. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Black Headed Gulls are cute!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Soon we rolled under Amboise Chateau. Amboise Chateau has a very long history, starting about the 9th century. But in 1431 it was grabbed by the French monarchy (Charles VII), beginning a long history as a royal residence. The most famous period was when Francois I (1494-1547), who was raised there, imported an aging Leonardo da Vinci to live at very nearby Clos Luce in 1515. Leonardo died there in 1519. He was buried at the Chateau, but following the Revolution there is some doubt about where his bones ended up. The consensus is that he is at the Chapel of St Hubert, inside the Chateau.

Clos Luce maintains a collection of Leonardo stuff and is worth a visit, we recall.  However at 19 euros right now, it is not cheap.

Amboise Chateau
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 3
Karen PoretWhy is the chimney on top left of a different color? Is it a replacement ?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretTrick of the light?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Karen PoretTo Steve Miller/GrampiesMaybe this is where the expression “ trompe l’oeil came from?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
In the parking lot below the Chateau we noticed this restored VW van. It's from Germany, we see, from the "D" on the license plate.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Unlike Villandry, Amboise has more of an associated town. We took a short walk, in the direction of Clos Luce, but gave up quickly because it was too chilly. That did not stop us, though, from trying the local gelato!

Our hotel faces the water. This is one the street behind the hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking in the direction of Clos Luce.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loire a Velo chic.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretTouche’!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
For high traffic sections, this could be a good choice.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The shop specialised in this fancy scooping technique. The one being shoved in your face is Mango, while the one behind is Pistachio.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 3,720 km (2,310 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Karen PoretThanks for the tour and treats!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago