To Narbonne - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 15, 2024

To Narbonne

It is much harder to ride into the wind

Today was to be a quick and easy 40KM jump to Narbonne, some on the Canal du Midi and some on the highway. For the most part it went as planned, but the head wind sure can make things more of a struggle.

We were not on the hotel breakfast program so we just had yogurt and fruit before we left. Scott was feeling the effects of the  lack of coffee but this was quickly fixed with a double espresso at a nearby coffee bar on our way out of town. We also picked up a sandwich and a large dark chocolate cookie for the road.

The bikes are loaded and the bill has been paid on a sunny but slightly cool fresh feeling morning.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Pierre-Paul Riquet was born in Béziers in 1609. He is attributed with designing and building the Canal du Midi. From wiki info - Riquet invested two million pounds from his own funds, on a project estimated at between 17 and 18 million pounds which was the second largest construction site in the kingdom after that of the Palace of Versailles. In return, he received the tolls of the canal. Being so heavily indebted, that on his death his heirs had to sell half of their shares in the canal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Street shot of Béziers down near the Orb river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Close up of the mural of eight locks and nine basins on the canal. Perhaps at one time there were stairs beside the locks, today it is a ramp.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were aiming for the pedestrian bridge as as way out of town, which we did locate but on a bit of a circuitous route. The views looking up toward Béziers from the bridge were quite incredible. We made our way along the small quai canal that connects the Orb river with the  Canal du Midi and the famous  locks of Fonseranes.  

The Canal du Midi  arrives from above  Béziers at location known as Fonseranes. It is slightly elevated and opposite to Béziers. Being on much higher ground is a bit of a problem for boats wanting to go up or down. The canal must drop  nearly 25 metres vertically to descend into the Orb! It is a real technical feat completed by the  Fonséranes scale, a series  of eight locks and its nine basins.

Vieux Pont - our way out of town.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Worth a second shot - beautiful bridge and no cars allowed!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Wow. Instagram moment?
Heart 9 Comment 0
Moulin De Bagnols was a mill. A third of the water from the Orb river was used for the inhabitants of Béziers, a third for fires and a third as a reserve for heat waves.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The cathedral in Béziers.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Serene down by the river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not nearly so serene here! Traffic jam at the bottom of the first of the eight locks to get up to the the top. We could not wait around to see how this ended.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This picture is from the top of the locks looking down toward Béziers and shows the slope and the eight locks. The top basin is now full.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Team Canal du Midi are on a boat at the top of the locks, waiting to go down. They were looking a bit stressed, likely about getting a turn in the locks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A topographical view of the area from a nearby information board. The locks have made the site the third most popular tourist destination in Languedoc-Roussillon, after the Pont du Gard and the town of Carcassonne.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving the locks, we began our ride on the  unpaved surfaces beside the canal. You can ride the entire way from Béziers to Narbonne on the Canal du Midi but the surfaces are often rough and hard with the small wheeled Bike Fridays so we planned our route partly on the canal and partly on the road. However, not far from our turn off, the path turned to crushed rock. Then pop! Pat`s rear tire must have caught a sharp stone and punctured the tire. Two flats on a single tour - unheard of! Glad that we had picked up a couple more spare tubes a few days ago.

The path is smooth and nice to ride here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
As always, nice scenery on route.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We walked our bikes to this spot to give us lots of room to repair the back wheel. At the corner we turned left onto solid terra ferma.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The town of Montady. We did not go up there but turned onto the highway in front of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roads like this with limited traffic are great to ride, but we are fighting a head wind here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Had to look this one up.¨Dubonnet is a sweet, red, fortified wine of 14.8% alcohol invented in 1846 by French chemist Joseph Dubonnet. It's typically consumed as an aperitif, digestif, or in the famous Dubonnet cocktail with Gin. The aromatized wine is made from red wine, brandy, herbs, spices, and quinine¨.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Barry DevlinFun fact - Queen Elizabeth reportedly like to enjoy a Dubonnet cocktail with gin.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Pretty yellow field of flowering mustard.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesIt's hard to see, but the odds are that it is canola. The Germans call it Raps and apparently the French is Colza.

Your photos all seem very clear. What is your camera?
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We reached Béziers a couple of hours before the hotel check in times. We had passed quickly through here six years ago on route a bit further south to Gruissan. Some of us remembered and some of us did not. So we looked around a bit to jog our memories and later had a beer near our hotel beside the canal. We found Béziers was surprisingly quiet with many vacant stores right in the heart of the canal shopping district.

We enjoyed a nice Italian dinner and wandered  through the quiet alleyways back to our hotel.

Not the canal du Midi but the Canal de la Robine in Narbonne.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This is what a roman road looks like. Built to last for centuries.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Met this young guy in the bar. He still had a few kilometres to go today. We were impressed with his touring machine. His front hub produces power for a light and a built in USB on the handlebar stem to power a cell phone.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In Narbonne.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A corner mural In Narbonne.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waking around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat picked this place for dinner. Not the best tiramisu we have had but a great meal and an excellent Chianti!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking home was quiet and the restaurants along the way were not at all busy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 346 km (215 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David MathersGreat shots today especially the bridge 👍
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Rachael AndersonWe’ve been in Narbonne a couple of times and it’s always windy!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago