To Foix - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2024

To Foix

Weather window

It was raining when we went for dinner last night and the local forecast for today looked gloomy. On one hand we knew that today`s ride would be very short but even two hours on a bike in the rain is not for us. There were few alternative transportation options from the small town of Léran. We thought maybe we might need to arrange a taxi but would really prefer  a dry three hour  weather window. Is that too much to ask?

When we woke up in the morning Pat said she thought the ride was a ¨go¨. The skies had heavy clouds, some small blue patches and looking out the window the ground was dry -  but how about 30 KM away?

We stayed at L'Impasse du Temple. It is described in French as a maison de maître or a substantial town house. The rooms, foyers and stair cases are of grand scale. It is a beautiful old building. Our hosts John and Lee-anne emigrated to this area almost 25 years ago.  John has a dry sense of humour that was easy to enjoy. Breakfast at the chambre d`hote was  excellent and we would definitely recommend staying here if you are ever passing through. As well, have dinner at the Le Dinanga restaurant. It was  too cold to sit outside and we were very fortunate to get the last table inside without a reservation.

John and Lee-anne.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Front entrance of L'Impasse du Temple.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Before leaving, we put on the pannier rain covers for the first time this tour as well as our rain jackets. We would be prepared for the worst. Somewhat anxious, we left Léran for the short 32 KM ride over the hill to Foix. It was Whit Monday and the first town we passed was celebrating their honey production. Being a cool cloudy morning the  breakfast was somewhat sparsely attended but it was not a holiday for everyone in France although the schools are closed. The food being served looked delicious  but we had no room to eat again so soon.

Leaving Léran along the main street where the celebration was going on the night before.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not killer bees but the street decorations at Sautel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The D1 is a nice road to ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just another bridge picture. I always find the design of these structures beautiful.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Shy baby hiding behind her mom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There were alot of babies on this farm. They are quite well camouflaged.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A hungry one!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking back into the valley. Clouds are every where but it is not raining.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Almost at the top of the hill the skies brighten up a bit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The town of Carol gets a pic for a special sister.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some sun, just not on us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We wasted little time in reaching our destination of Foix, riding the distance in a little over two hours. Our hotel room would not be available for a couple more hours but we were able to store our bikes and bags there now. This worked  great as the rain had not yet started and this would give us some time to see the town and have some lunch. The restaurants  looked busy but  in part because the conditions were not that favourable for eating outside. Overall, the town seemed quiet perhaps because almost all the shops were closed for the holiday. We did enjoy walking and seeing the sights around the historic centre. A bit of a disappointment was that the Château de Foix was closed for renovations.

Arriving at Foix the castle on top of a rock in the centre is an imposing structure. The crane assisting with the renovations is massive.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The castle was built in the 11th century and was originally constructed as a military fortress designed to protect the town of Foix from invaders. It was strategically located on a hill overlooking the town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This bridge crosses the L`Ariége and our hotel room looks down on to it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Ariége is a large fast flowing river through Foix.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Château de Foix can be seen from many streets in Foix.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Foix has some very nicely preserved buildings.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rain began at 2 pm and we returned to our hotel and  retreated to our room for the day. We spent our time relaxing and then had a great dinner at an ethic Armenian restaurant. We are glad that the forecast for tomorrow`s  weather is improvimg.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 552 km (343 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0