To Béziers - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2024

To Béziers

May we have some more please!

In Olargues we were staying with Els, a local artist. A few years ago she and her husband bought a three story stone medieval building that was in need much of work. It was a hard project to refurbish as it was rarely inhabited by the previous owners. But the new space is working out very well.    She has now turned the first floor into her studio / workshop area and accommodation for travellers on the floors above. We were the only ones staying at her place last night so it was very peaceful. 

The bike room has some vey old beams that can date back to the 1600s.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Steep downhill to the front entrance and the studio level.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Els' studio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
An interesting corner picture available in her studio.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Els was very helpful and provided information about the mountains on our route today.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving Olargues looks the same as when we arrived but who could resist photographing this setting again.
Heart 7 Comment 0

We returned to the Voie Verte path but today we rode it with a bit more urgency. Today's  ride was not overly long but we needed to have some greater focus. We left the cycle path about 4km along, at the town of Mons-la-Trivalle . We transitioned  to the D908 highway and shortly thereafter we turned on to the D14. It was a narrow two lane road with very  little traffic. We knew immediately why we had come this way. The road was an absolute delight to ride and the scenery was spectacular. From Mons-la-Trivalle we headed south along the L`Orb and the Gorges d'Héric often looking back to see the  Caroux  massif in clouds behind  us. The 25KM ride from Mons-la-Trivalle to Cessenon-sur-Orb certainly falls into the ¨special¨ category. 

The D908 highway below. It appears quiet and we will ride it for about a kilometre a bit further along, before turning onto the D14.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the clouds this morning, but you can still see the beauty in the Espinouse and Caroux massifs
Heart 5 Comment 0
Up close you can see the needle sharp peaks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
New single lane bridge on the D14 above L`Orb River.
Heart 5 Comment 0
L`Orb. The unknown building on the right may have been a factory that used the river for a source of power.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking up stream.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We have seen these signs in a number of the small villages. They are recognizing the importance of a dark night sky!
Heart 3 Comment 0
The newly paved, traffic free road is fun to ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This area has many acres of grape vines.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pausing for the photographer to get back on his bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw this sign many times along our route this morning - often in very random places.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bright yellow flowering broom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As we were told by Els, keeping looking back to the see the Caroux mastiff with fresh leafing vines in the foreground.
Heart 3 Comment 0
and down to see the wonderful L`Orb River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first of the picturesque towns we passed was Vieussan.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Gorges d'Héric.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Twisty layers of shale line the road.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Barry DevlinLove those twisty layers!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Looking down the valley from a scenic look out.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Slightly different angle of the same shot. The greyness of the day takes away some of the spectacular view but in person it is still great.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunny spots on the hills just starting to show up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The hamlet of Ceps is down on the valley floor.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A close up of the brick, rock and red tiled homes. So pretty.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd construction front and center ;)
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

Roquebrun was only about 20km into our ride and  the largest of the towns that we passed through. It had a sleepy front street with a coffee / ice cream shop closing for the day at 1pm and a small restaurant doing a very good lunch business. We had a coffee break before heading on. Here we left the L`Orb for a short bit and headed up into the hills before returning back to the river at Cessenon-sur-Orb. 

Entering from the north the first thing you see in Roquebrun is the imposing bridge crossing L`Orb.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking up at the buildings in Roquebrun. If you look carefully you can see a couple enjoying lunch on their small deck that must have the most amazing view.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretAnd the birds soaring above!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
The large village of Roquebrun.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A beautiful bush in full bloom growing out of what appears to be full rock.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Roquebrun. Many of the village and town signs are mounted upside down in this area. The act is a protest by local farmers to raise visibility of the challenges they face.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Roquebrun nestled in the amongst the green hills.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A fun downhill section!
Heart 2 Comment 0
When you have a lot of extra ¨O¨s and ¨U¨s to use.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beautiful scenery! We are now in a small part of Haut-Languedoc Regional Nature Park.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Back along the L`Orb at the town of Cessenon-sur-Orb.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Leaving Cessenon-sur-Orb we began a consistent 100 metre climb up from the river along a much bigger but not busy D14 highway. The fun and games were now over as we made our way into the big city of Béziers. There were no pictures of the next 15km of highway riding but our last 6km were on a nice dedicated bike route into the city. Entering the city of Béziers  was on a very steep switchback street  - our final riding test of the day.

One way bridge for cars, bicycles are allowed. It's always a bit unnerving to ride surfaces like this even though you know that nothing will happen should you stray from your line!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Murals on blank sides of buildings are popular in Béziers.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another mural.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Scott AndersonA mural within a mural. Very nice, Beziers!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Some plain sided buildings look like murals from a distance but are not.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Béziers also has a number of grand buildings in the old centre.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Pat leads the way to our hotel for the next two nights.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our hotel is at the end of place Jean Jaures - a long park lined with plane trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Salut!
Heart 8 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraNothing better than a nice cold beer at the end of a riding day. Enjoying following along.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago

We had a great day today. Tomorrow we are expecting rain so we will hold up in Béziers and take a day off the bikes.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 306 km (190 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonThanks for showing us this country. We were booked to bike the other direction through here seven years ago, overnighting in Olargues on our way north to the Tarn. We changed our plan and took a much easier route along the coast when I got sick from food poisoning and needed an easier end to our tour. It looks as wonderful as I’d imagined.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Brad SharpGorgeous scenery.
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
Pat FenwickTo Brad SharpIt really is. We are loving it!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago