To Aspet - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2024

To Aspet

A terrific ride in the foothills of the Pyrenees.

At 5 pm yesterday while trying to gain access to our chambre d`hote we were not thinking in a positive way about a future booking.com review for our accommodation. We were to say the least, very frustrated. This morning however, the negative thoughts began to melt away as we sat in the home`s warm solarium and our host smiled and served us a typical continental breakfast and specially prepared Scott`s espresso. Where was this angel last evening we wondered? She was quite obviously the lady of the house as she lead us very knowledgably through her extremely long yard.  Without a word of English, she pointed out at least a dozen  types of vegetables that were now growing in the fertile river bank soil. At the end of the 80 metre long garden and through a gate we walked to the river`s edge, exactly where the confluence of the rivers Salat and Lez meet. The turbulent and fast running rivers were raging right in front of us. My only regret now was that I had not brought my camera or phone with me. The yard and rivers were amazing. Our negative thoughts from the day before of standing in the rain  outside a locked door feeling  hopeless  had all been erased. This was a great start to the day that was a terrific ride in the foothills of the Pyrenees.

Leaving Saint Girons required a two kilometre stretch on the busy D117 road that we shared closely with the morning commuters. We could see Saint Lizier across the bridge and up high on the hill. However, in the moment our enthusiasm to see a medieval village and its ten  protected  historical monuments was outweighed by getting away from cars and onto quiet backroads. Saint Lizier would require more time and a different mindset. We turned left and headed for the hills. Although the big climb was painfully saved for the end of the day, our overall route took us up and down multiple hills, through small towns  and country side. After leaving the chaotic D117,  our  small back roads and the scenery were exactly as it should be - a terrific ride in the foothills of the Pyrenees. 

Saint Lizier at the top of the hill will need to explored on another day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bridge to Saint Lizier crossing the Salat River.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Salat just beyond Saint Girons.
Heart 5 Comment 0
You do not have to leave the busy roads too far behind to find the peacefulness of the country side and the hills of the Pyrenees.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I love seeing well built old pieces of wooden machinery. I am not sure what this was before being a planter but with the ratchet gear on one side of an axel and a hole in the other side perhaps for a pole. it looks to be something that may have been used to move heavy objects up an incline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I try my best but I cannot figure out how Scott and Steve take such wonderful photos of birds. I can never get close enough or have the patience needed. Here is my best effort before the bird flew away. I think I will stick to landscapes as they do not move!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Scott AndersonI could never do much better than this (a buzzard!) either until I got a camera with a more powerful zoom. They just won’t let you get close enough.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Beautiful scenery.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just a gorgeous ride.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Quiet roads too!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Along the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was not a fast ride today as there were lots of interesting places to stop and take pictures.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pat spotted this cat cross the road and hide in the grass. I approached with my camera ready. He / she took off like a shot and ran 100 metres down the road like its life depended on it. Never looked back.
Heart 2 Comment 0
King of beasts.
Heart 3 Comment 1
A downhill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Chateau de Prat. We had stop for coffee at the nearby town Prat-Bonrepaux.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eye to eye with some big cows. Not sure how that little wire would stop them!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesLooks like an electric fence which delivers a relatively mild shock and over time "trains" the cows to stay back.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
An uphill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nicely posing for the camera.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In many of the villages, a hay loft is built on second floor and is attached to the main house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding in the foothills.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The village of Urau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some great fire starter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding beside the Arbas.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Ten kilometres from our destination we began a six kilometre 35o metre climb up to the Col de Larrieu. The clouds were thickening, we were running low on fuel - it was slog to the top. Once on top of the ridge, it was all downhill to Aspet.

Nearing the top the views in all directions were great.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view in another. Looking north I believe.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Last hill shot of the day. They are so green with lush trees at this altitude.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All smiles now at the Col de Larrieu.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A late lunch stop at the Col. The log ¨A¨ frame was newly constructed and extremely well built.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A major downhill to Aspet.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 We rode through the Aspet village centre  without stopping because of a threatening rain shower  and we needed to find our chambre d`hotes. It was a bit of a  struggle but when we did, our host was not there. Fortunately  a key was left out under the mat so there was no issue with getting in today. However, without going into the details, the place and our room were just not at all suitable. Within 10 minutes we knew that we needed to find a new place for the night. Reloading our bikes we headed back up the hill to the village centre. With some very good fortune the owner of the Cafe Francais offered to contact a friend that ran a small nearby chambre de d`hotes. We were soon on our way to Le Grand Chalet. The owner, Patricia, was waiting for us and with a huge sigh of relief we unpacked and settled in to our very comfortable room for the night.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 646 km (401 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetSo lucky there was an alternative accommodation. When we hit a bad one, we had no choice but to stay.
Reply to this comment
4 months ago