To Arette - You stole my wheels and that's what really hurts - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2024

To Arette

Col de Marie-Blanque today

We declined the breakfast at the Hotel Richelieu and instead headed down the hill to the larger centre of Laruns for a bite to eat. We probably would have stayed there but the one hotel in town must have been full. There were a number of places managed by ¨private hosts¨ but we prefer hotels as the check in process is far smoother with hotels when we are uncertain as to our  arrival time.

We had a quick look around Eaux-Bonnes before we left the town. There were a number of men actively working hard to spruce things up. The centre area has a nice well maintained park and kids play area but there are a few older buildings boarded up.  A beautiful casino as well as the thermal baths were both closed. Looking at the size of Eaux-Bonnes, the thermal baths must have been a real big thing in the past history. We cannot help to think that COVID may have been the final nail for some of these small spa towns.

In the centre of Eaux-Bonnes. The Thermal baths are on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zooming in on the peek-a-boo view of the mountain behind the town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The casino in Eaux-Bonnes is a grand looking building that was built in 1883. Sadly, closed now.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Display at the entrance of Eaux-Bonnes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The road down was quick ride to Laruns in the cool morning air. The natural beauty all around Laruns is stunning. It sits in a bowl with mountains rising sharply all around it and an opening into the D`Ossau valley at one end. The village really has a spectacular setting. We stopped at a cafe and enjoyed coffee and crepes in the sun before moving on to the patisserie to buy a couple of sandwiches for the road.

Looking down on Laruns.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The same route barree sign today but for travellers heading in the other direction. From here it is closed 3KM after the Col du Soulor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black and white. The picture shows a rider in the 1923 Tour de France somewhere in the Pyrenees between Bayonne and Luchon. It was tough on the mud roads back then!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The heart of Laruns.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The green hills provide a beautiful backdrop for the town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A paella just getting started in the pan with the chicken frying up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
¨Sandwiches are beautiful, sandwiches are fine -I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time. ¨ Fred Penner
Heart 3 Comment 0
View of the mountains from Laruns.
Heart 2 Comment 0
You can also see this same slope from Eaux-Bonnes but here it is unobstructed.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Out of Laruns we returned to the D 934 and about 15KM into the ride we turned off at the  the town of Bielle. This was the start of the ride up to the Col de Marie Blanque. Right away the slope hit us with 7-10% grades with an average of over 8% for the next 5KM. This was definitely tough after yesterday`s ride. Once we got past this part, the road mellowed out except for one short steep area before the top. The second part was a very nice and enjoyable ride. I cannot print Pat`s comment on the first part!

The ride up to col Marie Blanque from Bielle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
La Grave D`Ossau river. The rivers are all running fast and full right now. Really great sights.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The zig zag track on the right side going up looks like it would lead to a great alpine ski touring area in the winter should the area get sufficient snow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As noted, often the slope was double the 5.2% to make up for the flat plateau at the top.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Here we go again! The Tour de France has also used this route a few times but almost always from the much more difficult other side starting from Escot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
You gain elevation very quickly and the beauty of the Vallée d'Ossau is very clear on this sunny day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The town of Bielle and the Ossau valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is the mountain with the zig zag skinning track up. Or maybe it is just my imagination trying to find the perfect ski line down every hill!
Heart 2 Comment 0
More views on the way up.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The road began to flatten out at this park and church. We stopped just above this to have some lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our picnic spot.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our picnic friends. At least they do not beg for food!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Lots of cows and other animals up on the plateau.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An oversize semi with a huge tractor versus an oversize cow. The cow did not move an inch.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Along the Bénou plateau. We really enjoyed this.
Heart 4 Comment 0
There were horses.
Heart 5 Comment 0
and some sheep.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our road is nice and flat now. Such a nice ride.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The road began to head up sharply again. At some points reaching 10% - just when you thought that you were done with all that nonsense.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is that oversize load again. It could not make his hairpin corner and its destination was just up the road at a construction site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
2% grade for the last K - this baby is in the bag!
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the top - the cows have been doing some logging.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another Pyrenees pass complete!
Heart 7 Comment 0

There was no coffee stop at Col de Marie Blanque. There were just some cars and some cows so we headed down the much steeper side of the pass. It is hard for us to fully enjoy these  downhills as the roads can be rough and so steep that your brakes must be applied at all times. The small wheeled bikes are packing a lot of weight. Scott had another flat on his rear wheel as his single walled rims are getting very hot. He thinks that a spoke may have punctured the tube this time. We quickly repaired it and made it to the bottom of the hill without further incident.

After a short stint on the large but not very busy N134, we turned onto the D918 for an enjoyable 10KM ride through the countyside to Arette, our stop for the day.

We took a picture of this marker heading down that shows a 10% grade for the next kilometre. In fact, the ride up this side never fell below 9% before the summit, and with ramps at more than 15%! So much harder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down at the valley floor at Escot.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One last mountain view for the day from the D918.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Celebrating with a nice cold one on our own deck today.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The sunset from our deck. It is dry now but the weather forecast for tomorrow is not very good.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 906 km (563 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonYou guys are amazing! I get tired just reading about the passes you are climbing!
Reply to this comment
3 months ago